HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Removable Battery Vs Fixed Battery

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #1

Question Removable Battery Vs Fixed Battery

we have got some awesome phones out recently (we as in not sg ) like the nexus 4 which come with fixed batts and then we have the other phones trying to beat the nexus 4 like xiaomi m2. In all cases sg is left without warrenty, so one major dilema would be what if the battery cant be removed?

Android is a great OS but after enuf usage it gets laggy and even starts crashing. Sometimes i have to take out the batts and put em back in to restart the phone. In cases of Nexus 4 what will the poor souls do?
And then comes the question of overcharging...Even if we do not overcharge the battery dies and the phone is left dead if the batt cant be changed.

BUTTTTT fixed batt means thiefs goina have a harder time stealing phones.

Whats your opinion? Fixed batts or removable batts and why?
somenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
High Supremacy Member

This isn't even up for any form of argument....if there is a choice, removable batteries wins ALWAYS. Their justification for having built in batteries is to have slimmer form factors, but I don't see people complaining that their S3 or Note 2 are too thick for usage.

By right the devices are supposed to reboot when the power button is held down, regardless of current status, I've never had this function fail to work on my devices that don't allow battery pulls, but I've also heard tales of people who can't get it to work no matter what.....

At the end of the day, it's not as if we have a choice in this matter.
kennyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Master Member

There is a hardware switch the hardreset when the power button is held down for about 10 seconds.

For phones that do not have a removable battery, there is and will have hardware combinations where you can press which will hard reset the phone. So not being able to remove phone battery for that reason is not a valid one.

However, I want removable batteries for my mobile phone. Once phone battery goes bad (and it will go bad), the usability of the phone gets worse and worse. At this point its better to be able to change the battery and get a "fresh" new phone.
Ratix0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #4

removable battery for me if possible, the only time I use it though is use a thick battery when I am travelling
ahbao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #5

Yeah.. sometimes my nexus 7 or even my old HP touchpad gets stucks and hangs...

All i needed to do is to press and hold the power button plus the volume button to force it to reset.. Its something that the manufacturers have considered when making the device.
thunderskain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #6

well my batt is removable atm and when it hangs the power button does nothing, if i hold for 10s or 1 minute, maybe that is because the battery is removable. Yes ratix thats a good point which i did not mention, once the batts inbuilt and goes bad the phone becomes useless... Especially since all the stuffs made in china... ive got a gps which came with batt claiming to last 5 hours, after 7 months it cant last a second without the charger cord.

The nexus 4 is what i was trying to compare with other devices when i asked my question, since its inbuilt batt.
somenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #7

well my batt is removable atm and when it hangs the power button does nothing, if i hold for 10s or 1 minute, maybe that is because the battery is removable. Yes ratix thats a good point which i did not mention, once the batts inbuilt and goes bad the phone becomes useless... Especially since all the stuffs made in china... ive got a gps which came with batt claiming to last 5 hours, after 7 months it cant last a second without the charger cord.

The nexus 4 is what i was trying to compare with other devices when i asked my question, since its inbuilt batt.
Uhhh yeah only devices without a removable battery have that feature of soft reset. The controversy over a non removable battery in devices have been long debated.. since iPhone times... But i guess its a way that manufacturers could ensure you coming back to them to replace your batteries rather than getting those from third parties.
thunderskain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
Master Member

if i am not wrong there are guides and instruction on the net showing u how to disassemble non removable battery phones .

But if u are buying a non removable battery phone best thing is to wait and buy it after u can confirm u can find the spare battery online

because if removable battery is factor in your purchase choice, then there arent many choices left for u .

Most the high end new phone have a non removable battery and Samsung made a removable battery for the GS3 , that is a selling factor for them

Last edited by coolguyalways; 26-11-2012 at 10:38 PM..
coolguyalways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #9

acually u can remove Nexus 4 battery right?

Nexus 4 Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit
Old 18-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
High Supremacy Member

acually u can remove Nexus 4 battery right?

Nexus 4 Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit
I can also remove n7 battery..

Point is not easily accessible.
Mach3.2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #11

I can also remove n7 battery..

Point is not easily accessible.
I'm sure it is just like my Galaxy nexus and nexus S , it's really easy. Not that i have tried nexus 7, but somehow it should be easy.
Old 18-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #12
High Supremacy Member

I'm sure it is just like my Galaxy nexus and nexus S , it's really easy. Not that i have tried nexus 7, but somehow it should be easy.
Don't think can pry open using finger nails, nexus 7 can, not to mention got screws..

N7 no need unscrew, but they glue the battery to the frame........

Last edited by Mach3.2; 18-12-2012 at 05:11 PM..
Mach3.2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

Why bother so much on removable battery... hang does happen in iPhone too... i dun see a point of having a remove battery unless you need to be outstation for a couple of day, long hour outside without charging device... anyway there is this thing call mobile battery charger.
devilcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #14

I agree.

A phone that hangs is not just the OS. iPhone and Android phones can both hang. There are too many variables to cause the phone to hang. Bad ROM, poorly written Apps etc.

If you have a phone with a fixed battery, there's always alternative like a mobile battery charger. Even with phones where it is hard to take the battery out (have to unscrew etc), you can still take it out and replace the battery. The only Android phone I've seen where the battery is stuck with the phone is Meizu MX.

Then again, with phones these days, we upgrade every 2-3 years. Unless you intend to keep your phone for a longer period. If not, the battery should last until an upgrade.

Why bother so much on removable battery... hang does happen in iPhone too... i dun see a point of having a remove battery unless you need to be outstation for a couple of day, long hour outside without charging device... anyway there is this thing call mobile battery charger.
ckctam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #15

Pros of a removable battery:
- You can abuse and charge the battery any way you want. No need to waste your time wondering or debating whether you should charge your device this way or that. Charge it ten times a day if you want with no worries. If your battery really deteriorates (which is unlikely in the short term), simply change it.
- If there is a manufacturing defect with the battery, simply change it out without worrying about sending the whole phone for repair.
- You get the option of swapping in a second battery for non-stop device usage on the go without being bound to a power point and charger.
- You get the option of using a higher capacity battery which might or might not be physically larger than the stock one.
- There is always the option of pulling the battery to reboot your phone if all else fails.
- The second hand buyer of your phone can swap in a new battery to give the device a new lease of life.

Cons of a removable battery:
- NONE ! As pointed out previously, the s3 is as slim if not slimmer than phones with fixed batteries.

Another reason for choosing the s3 over the Nexus.
Omnia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.