Help needed!

Kyldahke

Reaction score
Hi, I would like to sought help to fix my new com.

Basically it goes like this, I just had a new com done just this month and naturally when I compiled by list of softwares to add in for usage, I only installed few at the moment and an antivirus was one of the core.

However I did not know this was the Antivirus was the core of my problem.

AVG Antivirus basically was the one i installed along with Firefox, Chrome, Winzip, Winamp, Openoffice, utorrent and Steam for gaming purposes.
The antivirus only just come in after 1 week past and everything was running at maximum and no hassle state.
Before the antivirus came in, I was able to run and detect an external hdd via USB and able to delete files from recycling bin.

After installing AVG, I only had 2 times whole com scan and weirdly it detected 50+ registry issues which is puzzling for a new com as well as 1 potential risk and I used AVG to shred my unwanted files.
Now after 1 week + of usage, I experienced slowing com + unable to detect an otherwise good external HDD, unable to open Recycle Bin easily, and worse unable to delete files fast (it takes 3 mins or more to delete anything from Recycle Bin)

I do not know if there are many AVG Antivirus users out there but this incident has caused me headache as I now cannot uninstall the antivirus totally and windows startup is getting to slow.

Here I am asking help from anyone who knows what to do to restore my com to original state before the antivirus has done damage to my system.
PS I have done System Restore and it did not work.

Last but not least, please do not use AVG Antivirus as I believe it is the main cause for my last com failure as the symptoms of how it failed strikes a similar pattern.
If you do not feel you will be affected, go ahead.
Thanks in advance!

ykgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, I would like to sought help to fix my new com.

Basically it goes like this, I just had a new com done just this month and naturally when I compiled by list of softwares to add in for usage, I only installed few at the moment and an antivirus was one of the core.

However I did not know this was the Antivirus was the core of my problem.

AVG Antivirus basically was the one i installed along with Firefox, Chrome, Winzip, Winamp, Openoffice, utorrent and Steam for gaming purposes.
The antivirus only just come in after 1 week past and everything was running at maximum and no hassle state.
Before the antivirus came in, I was able to run and detect an external hdd via USB and able to delete files from recycling bin.

After installing AVG, I only had 2 times whole com scan and weirdly it detected 50+ registry issues which is puzzling for a new com as well as 1 potential risk and I used AVG to shred my unwanted files.
Now after 1 week + of usage, I experienced slowing com + unable to detect an otherwise good external HDD, unable to open Recycle Bin easily, and worse unable to delete files fast (it takes 3 mins or more to delete anything from Recycle Bin)

Btw, how are you so sure that AVG is the cause of the problems? A new com and new hard disk does not mean it cannot fail. Did all the problems start right after AVG's installation? Could it be a malfunctioning hard disk? Check its SMART status: http://www.howtogeek.com/134735/how-to-see-if-your-hard-drive-is-dying/

I do not know if there are many AVG Antivirus users out there but this incident has caused me headache as I now cannot uninstall the antivirus totally and windows startup is getting to slow.

There is an official tool specially designed to remove AVG in case the normal uninstallation method fails. It is called AVG Remover. Download from http://www.avg.com/ww-en/utilities.

Here I am asking help from anyone who knows what to do to restore my com to original state before the antivirus has done damage to my system.
PS I have done System Restore and it did not work.

It is unusual that AVG has not done a Restore Point/Snapshot before its installation. I thought usually its installer would ask Windows to save a Restore Point. Reverting to that Restore Point would effectively remove all traces of system changes done by AVG installer.

Last but not least, please do not use AVG Antivirus as I believe it is the main cause for my last com failure as the symptoms of how it failed strikes a similar pattern.
If you do not feel you will be affected, go ahead.
Thanks in advance!

OK noted. :s22:

OKorNOT

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
at ur menu search bar ther type in "system restore" den select it and do a rollback to a earlier date b4 AVG was install if u think avg is causing the slow down....

I been using AVG free since 2007, I got no issue wit it currently it still the 2014 ver cos I lazy to change it

Kyldahke

Reaction score
Btw, how are you so sure that AVG is the cause of the problems? A new com and new hard disk does not mean it cannot fail. Did all the problems start right after AVG's installation? Could it be a malfunctioning hard disk? Check its SMART status: http://www.howtogeek.com/134735/how-to-see-if-your-hard-drive-is-dying/

There is an official tool specially designed to remove AVG in case the normal uninstallation method fails. It is called AVG Remover. Download from http://www.avg.com/ww-en/utilities.

It is unusual that AVG has not done a Restore Point/Snapshot before its installation. I thought usually its installer would ask Windows to save a Restore Point. Reverting to that Restore Point would effectively remove all traces of system changes done by AVG installer.

OK noted. :s22:

Basically I just summarized but if u want the full details ok here goes.

Main thing was I got this new com started just not long of approx 3 weeks ago with AVG Antivirus coming in only 1 week afterwhich.
After which I started on the new com, I ran a disk check w/o AVG and everything ran out fine with Win 7 starting in just 5~7 secs on SSD and everything was brand new with ZERO items installed on 1st 3 days.

After that, I done an installation of FIREFOX & CHROME browsers all from official sites and none had issues except logging in from a new com 1st time.
Then I proceed to have utorrent, winamp, winzip, Steam + 1 game played (Dota 2), MPC, VLC player (Installer but did not install) and Openoffice.
In addition, I had my headpiece software installed in before AVG comes along, so far that is the extra software I do not use much.

Had done and deleted few old files from old HDD (I have 3 attached) and none had issues attached elsewhere, including now as I speak.

Between then I've downloaded few movies but all do not have issues playing and are in safe MP4 format from good standing sites.

AFTERWHICH I downloaded AVG Antivirus, thinking I need one to safeguard my new com from issues and I din go for paid ones yet cos I wanna try out and AVG came top from site recommendations and I went official AVG.com to download n install it.

Before the 1st full com scan, my windows is able to start n shutdown within 6 sec spec, able to see all 3 hdd usb attachment, able to access internet without intermittent lags, able to open Recycle Bin within 1 sec and delete or restore file as I did once with an old picture file with no issues and able to play Dota games without issues.

After AVG had done a 1st com scan, everything did not have any issues. I continued to use it until a week later as I was doing documents files tidying and i chance upon AVG recommended option of shredding documents instead of traditional old delete recycle bin contents and I did it with 2 odx and 1 xls file as well as various other txt files that comes with it.

Weird thing was I was unable to delete or shred picture file so I used back traditional deletion and that actually took 30secs to delete one. It will sort of hang and process but within 30 secs so I tot it was just a hiccup.

However it is only I noticed during that my com auto shutdown while halfway thru the movie i was watching I noticed something similar to my old com and new.
The main thing it happened exactly the same way so the only 3 things I have back at the old com to new is the 3 hdd.

Did a system scan and also did a hdd scan but funny thing was just a short 12 days from then. I had 50+ registry issues to resolve, slowing win start speed from 5~7 secs to 10~30 secs (there was no improper shutdown except that movie issue) and I immediately had suspicion on the AVG software as it was used in my old com before it showed blue screen of death and a friend who had just bought a new com also related the same death issue. (his was worse, new com nothing installed just AVG n immediately when he tried to install Steam, 1st week blue screen of death comes in & now his start up is slower than mine cos he isnt using SSD.)

The main thing is now with AVG uninstalled, remnants of the app/software remains and I had used the AVG remover 3 times but yet in safe mode in case it really kills my com as what I did b4 on my old com.
Now I'm not sure if full com reformat since its still in its early infancy stage with not much stuffs in, and if all these issues will be resolved.
If not I would like to know those who have such issues to share and help me on this as I feel its really crazy to have an antivirus downloaded free from its official site on trial to have such craps happening just 1st 2 week of the 1 month trial period.

Now besides a slowed win start, I have intermittent auto log out from Steam (never happened b4 in my life....meaning playing game halfway the next moment my com show its desktop and steam just crashed etc), laggy graphic despite my ping is 5 and I am using a good 2gb 960 graphic card, unable to detect one HDD which i had tried connecting to another laptop or pc but works fine as well as 3~6mins of opening a Recycle Bin just to see files in it or 5~10 mins to delete any contents in it just because I used AVG's shredding on it.

Seriously, anyone do know of any alternatives except asking me download those registry cleaners which I dun really trust, pls share here and let me know if my idea of reformatting is feasible.
Thanx in advance and sorry for the lengthy story.

Kyldahke

Reaction score
Oh, I also did a system restore after removing the AVG software but remnants remained and it prompted me to send it to AVG to check but I do not wish to have any dealings with such a corrupt software.

Kyldahke

Reaction score
Oh, in addition, I also found my passwords for a certain site is omitted and taken out while another remains.

Weird thing is I have 3 game accounts, 1 mine 2 friend others which I help login for pts accumulation only but 1 was totally stolen away from Firefox while the other 2 remained.

Another is a site which I normally go ESPN has its fantasy league login pulled off as well.
This is not the 1st time I experienced it but almost in any of the AVG installed coms I had (previous and previous workplace com) had this issue with ESPN and that is where I also suspected AVG of suspicious activities.

Now I am worried if my credit card details are hijacked by this malicious 'safe' software as well.

ykgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
Oh, in addition, I also found my passwords for a certain site is omitted and taken out while another remains.

Weird thing is I have 3 game accounts, 1 mine 2 friend others which I help login for pts accumulation only but 1 was totally stolen away from Firefox while the other 2 remained.

Another is a site which I normally go ESPN has its fantasy league login pulled off as well.
This is not the 1st time I experienced it but almost in any of the AVG installed coms I had (previous and previous workplace com) had this issue with ESPN and that is where I also suspected AVG of suspicious activities.

Now I am worried if my credit card details are hijacked by this malicious 'safe' software as well.

It sounds like there are malware lurking in your com stealing and leaking your login credentials to hackers. AVG is supposed to be a legitimate anti-virus from a reputable company, and I do not think they would be crazy enough to steal your data. Not that I feel that AVG is a good anti-virus though.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.