Apple Macbook can't charge

virtualme78

Reaction score
Hi guys

I need serious help here. I have a 13" Macbook Pro Retina Late 2013 with El Capitan OSX.

Lately, I find out that my Macbook Pro having problems charging. When I plug the charger into the laptop, sometimes it charges, sometimes it won't. If the laptop charges, it will only charge to 75% and stop charging.

I have tried cleaning the contacts, plug the charger into different wall sockets, reset the SMC but nothing works.

Is the battery or the charger failing? Are there any other ways I can troubleshoot this? Will it be a costly repair if I send in? Can I replace anything myself?

Please help! This is only a 3-year old laptop and it's too early to fail.

Thank you!

Starwalkersg

Banned
Reaction score
I had the same problem with old mbp, exchanged charger 1-1 at Alabs (got warranty) and the problem subsided 90%, though sometimes I have to "click" a few times in order to get green light which turn to orange light

Maybe u can get a oem charger from qoo10. The original one costs $150 i think

virtualme78

Reaction score
I had the same problem with old mbp, exchanged charger 1-1 at Alabs (got warranty) and the problem subsided 90%, though sometimes I have to "click" a few times in order to get green light which turn to orange light

Maybe u can get a oem charger from qoo10. The original one costs $150 i think

is it confirmed that it's a charger problem? I don't have another charger to verify which is the problem

Arandalo

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I need serious help here. I have a 13" Macbook Pro Retina Late 2013 with El Capitan OSX.

Lately, I find out that my Macbook Pro having problems charging. When I plug the charger into the laptop, sometimes it charges, sometimes it won't. If the laptop charges, it will only charge to 75% and stop charging.

I have tried cleaning the contacts, plug the charger into different wall sockets, reset the SMC but nothing works.

Is the battery or the charger failing? Are there any other ways I can troubleshoot this? Will it be a costly repair if I send in? Can I replace anything myself?

Please help! This is only a 3-year old laptop and it's too early to fail.

Thank you!

What is your battery condition? Hold on option key and click on battery icon in menu bar.
Assuming your battery condition is normal, it is likely charger issue. Try and borrow a charger (need 60W and above).

I assume your laptop is out of warranty since it's a 2013 model. If you go to alab might need to pay diagnostic fee of $130. Better to call and ask first.

virtualme78

Reaction score
What is your battery condition? Hold on option key and click on battery icon in menu bar.
Assuming your battery condition is normal, it is likely charger issue. Try and borrow a charger (need 60W and above).

I assume your laptop is out of warranty since it's a 2013 model. If you go to alab might need to pay diagnostic fee of $130. Better to call and ask first.

I have tested charging using a new charger only to find myself disappointed. There was no response at all from the new charger. The LED on the charger wasn't even lit!

What do you reckon the projected cost might be should they find out that it is a battery failure?

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have tested charging using a new charger only to find myself disappointed. There was no response at all from the new charger. The LED on the charger wasn't even lit!

What do you reckon the projected cost might be should they find out that it is a battery failure?

u can DIY e battery change...

virtualme78

Reaction score
I just checked and my battery condition is normal. I highly doubt it is a charger problem because I have tested on 2 chargers, 1 old and 1 new. Both gave the same result. If the battery condition is normal and charger is not faulty, could it be a problem with hardware or software that couldn't recognize the charger or battery level, etc?

Looks like I really have to send in to A labs

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
maybe something wrong with e charging port...

Arandalo

Master Member
Reaction score

For battery replacement I asked alab before it's around $300 for 13" MBPr. I not sure if that includes or excludes the $130 diagnostic fee so better to call and ask first. This is because they will change the entire bottom alumnium frame as they claim that the battery is integrated/glued to the chassis.

If it's some other issue like charging port failure then I have no idea what is the cost.

Maybe you can try dusting the charging port with a soft brush to see if it helps.

Last edited:

virtualme78

Reaction score
For battery replacement I asked alab before it's around $300 for 13" MBPr. I not sure if that includes or excludes the $130 diagnostic fee so better to call and ask first. This is because they will change the entire bottom alumnium frame as they claim that the battery is integrated/glued to the chassis.

If it's some other issue like charging port failure then I have no idea what is the cost.

Maybe you can try dusting the charging port with a soft brush to see if it helps.

Thanks for the information. I think I'll bring the laptop down.. in pretty sure it's not dust as I have cleaned the contacts...

Ravatar

Reaction score
Did you buy extended warranty? If you had go pull up the docs and see if u can get it claimed.

virtualme78

Reaction score
Update: ALab confirmed that the logic board is faulty and had it changed. Total damage $800+. My MBP is good as new but my wallet is bleeding :(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.