Internet Recovery Issues via Singnet & Starhub

Like Tree1Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #1

Internet Recovery Issues via Singnet & Starhub

Hi all mac users...

AppleCare seems to have pinpointed that Singnet's & Starhub's transparent proxies' port 80 & 443 are closed, thus Internet Recovery will not work for all recently launched 2011 macbook airs and mac minis that came with Lion pre-installed. These 2 ports are used by "OS X Lion Internet Restore" as per http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1629

Singnet and Starhub users, you can verify that you are behind a proxy and that the proxy's port 80 and 443 are closed: ping.eu/port-chk

When doing internet recovery (Cmd-Opt-R during startup), there will be error codes, e.g. 3403F or 4403F.

It will be quite disastrous that internet recovery fail, since there's no installer CDs, and that's the only way for 2011 macbook airs and minis to get a system restore.

Can other mac users using Singnet & Starhub with 2011 macbook airs and mac minis please confirm whether you have the same issue when doing internet recovery (cmd-opt-r) problem, and any possible workarounds?
symentak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

I thought got USB drive option?
iPad mini 4G and iPad mini wifi
Nokia X5
Samsung Galaxy Ace
Samsung Note II[/SIZE]

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/donme/saga][IMG]http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-metric2/208350.png[/IMG][/URL]
whaleshark87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 11:15 PM   #3

I thought got USB drive option?
Macbook air 2011 does not come with any recovery flash drive.

There's a Recovery Disk Assistant which can be used to create a "Recovery Disk", but it only contains the recovery partition (about 600+mb), not the whole Lion Installer. It basically allow the mac to download the Lion installer (with custom build number specifically for macbook air 2011) from the Apple server.

However, due to the transparent proxy by Starhub and Singnet which block port 80 and 443 (both are required for Lion internet recovery, as shown on http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1629), there will be an error "could not verify installation information for this machine".
Old 20-10-2011, 11:56 PM   #4

I was fixing a 2011 MBA a couple of weeks ago for my friend, and I met the same problem as described above. Currently using SingNet Fiber.

The workaround I used probably shouldn't be mentioned here, so do PM me if you need the details.
Xenoearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

so how? is apple gonna do something about this?
fade_white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 12:30 AM   #6

so how? is apple gonna do something about this?
Not at the moment, according to AppleCare who contacted the engineers in Apple's Cupertino HQ, the problem lies with the ISP in Singapore, at least Singnet and Starhub are affected, as per my 1st post.

However, we need to verify if it's in fact true that Starhub and Singnet 2011 MBA users are all unable to do Internet Recovery via cmd-opt-R. Therefore, would appreciate if fellow 2011 MBA owners with Singnet or Starhub would just do a small favour by trying cmd-opt-R when starting up, and see if you can download the recovery disk from Apple's server and boot into the recovery screen (no data would be lost, it's just a screen with several options, e.g. disk utility, network utility, re-install mac os x etc).

Last edited by symentak; 21-10-2011 at 12:49 AM..
Old 21-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #7

i was helping a friend with new mbp13 preinstalled with lion to change the hdd to wd scorpio black and encountered the same issue while trying to redownload lion from apple server.

found a workaround using an external dock with the scopio black hdd, connect via usb to the mbp13 and using disk utility to clone the internal hdd image over to the scorpio black(format it to guid partition and mac journaled extended).

once the original hdd image been cloned to the new scorpio black hdd, i was able boot up the mbp with it and the hidden recovery utility was also cloned over.

it was a nightmare trying to use the online recovery method imho.
atocld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #8

i was helping a friend with new mbp13 preinstalled with lion to change the hdd to wd scorpio black and encountered the same issue while trying to redownload lion from apple server.

found a workaround using an external dock with the scopio black hdd, connect via usb to the mbp13 and using disk utility to clone the internal hdd image over to the scorpio black(format it to guid partition and mac journaled extended).

once the original hdd image been cloned to the new scorpio black hdd, i was able boot up the mbp with it and the hidden recovery utility was also cloned over.

it was a nightmare trying to use the online recovery method imho.
The thing is, the recovery partition in the SSD of 2011 MBA isn't working, so it defaults to internet recovery, which gave an error. Even the Recovery Disk (thumbdrive created with Apple's Recovery Disk Assistant) shows "could not find installation information for this machine" when I try to verify my 2011 MBA with Apple's server to download the Mac OS X Lion installer.

Would appreciate if fellow 2011 MBA owners with Singnet or Starhub would just do a small favour by trying cmd-opt-R when starting up, and see if you can download the recovery disk from Apple's server and boot into the recovery screen (no data would be lost, it's just a screen with several options, e.g. disk utility, network utility, re-install mac os x etc).
Old 21-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
Senior Moderator

It worked fine for me on Singnet - can others verify? 2011 15" MBP.

I'm quite sure cos I tested it 3 times over a few periods of time. Possibly a Starhub-only problem, since they DO block Port 80 - it's a well known fact.

Thanks.

/Dan
leinad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #10

It worked fine for me on Singnet - can others verify? 2011 15" MBP.

I'm quite sure cos I tested it 3 times over a few periods of time. Possibly a Starhub-only problem, since they DO block Port 80 - it's a well known fact.

Thanks.

/Dan
Hi,

I am referring to 2011 MBA (Lion pre-installed) with Singnet connections having this issue. I have tried Starhub, which also has this issue.

Singnet transparent proxy's port 80 and 443 are closed.
Old 21-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #11
Senior Moderator

Hi,

I am referring to 2011 MBA (Lion pre-installed) with Singnet connections having this issue. I have tried Starhub, which also has this issue.

Singnet transparent proxy's port 80 and 443 are closed.
It doesn't matter which machine, unless they have configured them differently, which I doubt.

I'm just sharing that Internet Recovery did work for me - cos I switched from the stock HDD, to first the WD Black 750, then to the WD Blue 1TB on this machine. All 3 were Internet Recovery installs, no media.

Of course, it's possible that Singnet's has blocked it since then, though I fail to see why. It is also possible the Apple servers are still flooded with requests worldwide for the various updates/functions - 10.7.2, iOS 10.5, iTunes, iCloud traffic, et al.

/Dan
leinad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #12

It doesn't matter which machine, unless they have configured them differently, which I doubt.

I'm just sharing that Internet Recovery did work for me - cos I switched from the stock HDD, to first the WD Black 750, then to the WD Blue 1TB on this machine. All 3 were Internet Recovery installs, no media.

Of course, it's possible that Singnet's has blocked it since then, though I fail to see why. It is also possible the Apple servers are still flooded with requests worldwide for the various updates/functions - 10.7.2, iOS 10.5, iTunes, iCloud traffic, et al.

/Dan
Strange but true, 2011 MBA requires a different build number for 10.7.1 , i.e. those offline installers created from Lion Installer downloaded from Mac App Store before 10.7.2 would not work, confirmed by many sources.

I have previously (a few weeks ago) multiple times successfully managed to do Internet Recovery and download+re-installation via the Recovery Disk created from Apple's Recovery Disk Assistant. So it's definitely a recent issue.
Old 21-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #13

I encountered the recovery error(could not find installation information for this machine) when i tried it on the mbp with lion 10.7.2 as well.
atocld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 11:18 PM   #14

anyone else has input?
Old 22-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #15

I faced the same error code of 3403f when using exStream 100Mbps. While using Starhub, I have two error codes, 3400f and 4600f.
ctchng is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.