Just curious for those having iMac how u deal with it?

Reaction score
If one day spoil , will you go try to bring it to fix it at third party vendor or just throw one side at your home?

just curious how those I Mac users on their spoil iMac.

macb0y

Reaction score
Buy applecare so when spoil u can call apple support and they will send someone down to collect

Reaction score
so far cross my fingers my iMac still works after so many years.

in fact I do have apple Care but already expired.

I only curious how for those iMac users don't have apple care.

how u settle your spot iMac.

tec_geek

Reaction score
[[ForeverAlone said:
];109486670]so far cross my fingers my iMac still works after so many years.

in fact I do have apple Care but already expired.

I only curious how for those iMac users don't have apple care.

how u settle your spot iMac.

Have to balance between whether if the repair charges are worth going for or just getting a new Mac computer.

Be@rbrick

Reaction score
mine is a late 2012 model with fusion drive. so far so good. extended warranty expire since 2015. crossing my fingers nothing will go wrong.

Reaction score
mine is a late 2012 model with fusion drive. so far so good. extended warranty expire since 2015. crossing my fingers nothing will go wrong.

Mine too but not with fusion drive, still working well just that the power button getting no say response now so I just let to sleep mode eveyrtime but sometime cannot wake up have to press the power button

tec_geek

Reaction score
[[ForeverAlone said:
];109508656]Mine too but not with fusion drive, still working well just that the power button getting no say response now so I just let to sleep mode eveyrtime but sometime cannot wake up have to press the power button

If I’m not wrong that you can set in the settings that after a certain time everyday when there is power on, it will automatically boot up. It should be in the Energy settings in System Preferences.

I set it to everyday after 0900hrs and if there is power, it will turn on automatically. The Mac will need to have these two factors for the ‘automatic’ turn on.

Used this feature as I’m using my MacBook Pro in clampshell mode and connected to an external display.

incubus07

Reaction score
if yours is currently out of warranty, loves to diy, assemble your own pc and has an imac that has compatible parts, you might do what this guy did.

Dissasembly seems straight forward, only caveat is that you must buy certain proprietary cables for it to work or replace(im not entirely sure) But it all info is in video anyway.

Laneige

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Me lo
AppleCare expired
The item now on Liao after a while freezes
Sometimes totally cannot start
Data still inside
Crap sia n just few months expired nia
That time a bit hang never asked why after servicing
Now buang liao

iCubes

Master Member
Reaction score
The trick is to sell before it breaks down. I usually sell my computers at the 2 - 2.5 years mark.

dankoo

Reaction score
Mine is 2009 iMac..did change Power/logic board once as it was re-booting. Upgraded SSD and increase RAM...still going strong at this moment

TrueBeliever_jh

Honorary Member
Reaction score
actually it is hard to say.

my 27" 2012 spoilt last year. sent in and told me GPU got problem (and somehow a couple of USBs are spoilt as well but i was using it the day before)

spent quite a bit to replace the whole motherboard. till now i am still wondering should i have spend the money on a 2015 15" rMBP + 1x 27" monitor.

take note of your model if you are planning to use as an external display
https://support.apple.com/en-sg/HT204592

if the motherboard is down again, got a feeling won't even be able to activate target display mode:s22:

i agree, it is hard. no idea what to do really :s22:

carfan

Reaction score
actually it is hard to say.

my 27" 2012 spoilt last year. sent in and told me GPU got problem (and somehow a couple of USBs are spoilt as well but i was using it the day before)

spent quite a bit to replace the whole motherboard. till now i am still wondering should i have spend the money on a 2015 15" rMBP + 1x 27" monitor.

take note of your model if you are planning to use as an external display
https://support.apple.com/en-sg/HT204592

if the motherboard is down again, got a feeling won't even be able to activate target display mode:s22:

i agree, it is hard. no idea what to do really :s22:

All-in-one with expensive repair combo is the major downside with iMac.
For that, I have switched to use Mac mini with decent external monitors + eGPU.
Going forward, we will also have native support of eGPU by Apple.
It will be an all rounder when comes to CPU, GPU and power consumption + modular.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.