MacBook pro or windows laptop

jeffrey745

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,need some of ur advise here,sld I get a macbook pro or jus a normal windows laptop? Anyone who was a previous windows user who switched to Mac,any experiences? Is it worth the extra few hundred bucks for MacBook pro,like the one with retina display? Tkx

radon

Reaction score
If you can afford the extra $$$, go for the macbook pro. There some learning curve involve which google will help a lot.

duhduhduh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Using it for what purpose?

i don;t game. i use macbook to surf, pcw, videos, and assignments. (essay, ppts, possibly videos)

if you game, then macbook not for u.... the learning curve is a bit steep. but after u get it, its easy.

jeffrey745

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Using it for what purpose?

i don;t game. i use macbook to surf, pcw, videos, and assignments. (essay, ppts, possibly videos)

if you game, then macbook not for u.... the learning curve is a bit steep. but after u get it, its easy.
Im using it for uni... Doing lab reports,assignments,computer programming etc.. also surfing net n occasional watching of movies? Is it gd to get one or jus stick with normal laptops? Cus I keep hearing gd reviews abt macs,gd battery life,worth the extra $$ etc?

cuscorex

Reaction score
i wud say,make sure those important applications,tat u uses for ur WORK r avai in mac variant. gettin use to the os juz takes som time nia.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,need some of ur advise here,sld I get a macbook pro or jus a normal windows laptop? Anyone who was a previous windows user who switched to Mac,any experiences? Is it worth the extra few hundred bucks for MacBook pro,like the one with retina display? Tkx

I was more than 10 years a Microsoft OS user before turning to Mac OS X. Now I have been using Mac OS X for more than 10years.

For your kind of work, the MAC OS X will be the perfect blend of beauty and power. Spend time and you will learn it just fine. If a kid can use a mac, I don't know what kind of learning curve is there :)

Try with an open heart and solve problem just like you would do it on the Windows and it will be just fine.

jeffrey745

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was more than 10 years a Microsoft OS user before turning to Mac OS X. Now I have been using Mac OS X for more than 10years.

For your kind of work, the MAC OS X will be the perfect blend of beauty and power. Spend time and you will learn it just fine. If a kid can use a mac, I don't know what kind of learning curve is there :)

Try with an open heart and solve problem just like you would do it on the Windows and it will be just fine.

Thanks,I've been thinking of changing to a mac,have been using windows all these while on laptops n PCs,after some time it will start lagging. Does macs have problems of lags and crashes? U guys using macbook air,macbook pro or macbook pro with retina?

asriznet

Reaction score
Thanks,I've been thinking of changing to a mac,have been using windows all these while on laptops n PCs,after some time it will start lagging. Does macs have problems of lags and crashes? U guys using macbook air,macbook pro or macbook pro with retina?

If you use a system after a while, it's expected for the HDD to be filled with lots of data from installed applications, system files and even your personal data such as photos/movies etc.

This is standard across any computer I believe, a simple clean installation should bring your system back to new and fast again.

Probably when that time happens, you are already considering getting yourself a new computer with better specs.

I'm using 15" Macbook Pro Early 2011 and quite happy with it other than the known graphic card issue.

Hardware parts are easily replaceable(DIY), self replaced my superdrive with the built-in HDD and installed an SSD at the main HDD slot, fusioned the 2 drives and got myself a DIY fusion drive. Works much faster since then compared to before(5400rpm HDD)

Apple is still selling these 2012 MBP(only 13" for now) - Configure - Apple Store (Singapore)

jeffrey745

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you use a system after a while, it's expected for the HDD to be filled with lots of data from installed applications, system files and even your personal data such as photos/movies etc.

This is standard across any computer I believe, a simple clean installation should bring your system back to new and fast again.

Probably when that time happens, you are already considering getting yourself a new computer with better specs.

I'm using 15" Macbook Pro Early 2011 and quite happy with it other than the known graphic card issue.

Hardware parts are easily replaceable(DIY), self replaced my superdrive with the built-in HDD and installed an SSD at the main HDD slot, fusioned the 2 drives and got myself a DIY fusion drive. Works much faster since then compared to before(5400rpm HDD)

Apple is still selling these 2012 MBP(only 13" for now) - Configure - Apple Store (Singapore)
Thanks,so it isn't necessary to get the latest mbp retina with ssd? And the performance is jus as gd with no lags etc? Was thinking of getting the normal mbp with 500gb storage. Is retina n ssd necessary?

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I have been using my Mid 2009 MBP 17" upgraded from Mac OS X Leopard 10.5 all the way to Mavericks right now, waiting to jump into Yosemite 10.10. Upgraded from one os to another, not in the clean slate approach.

Nope I don't feel bog down or lag.Mac OS X is a unix system, it's works quite different from the Windows platform. There is no single registry to maintain. Most, if not all, of the configurations are separated configuration files distributed within the system. Some areas of slow down Windows have comes from the registry system.

Windows have came a long way from FAT filesystem into NTFS though in some ways still fall short of pure breed unix file system, but seemingly good enough for most users. Of course most mac users don't even know what is the difference between NTFS, NFS, EXT2/3/4 FS and so forth, so to them, as long as it just works, it's good enough.

However Apple approach to store Applications is tad slower because each time you open up the Applications list, it's actually accessing the filesystem, so if you have a SSD you will benefit from a very responsive system.

All Retina MBP and MBA are using SSD, so it's a no choice choice for you. I will recommend 256GB and above diskspace because current technology should attempt not to use up the SSD storage as it will slow things down abit due to the garbage collection and wear levelling operations performed by the SSD controller.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After being a Windows user for more than 16 years, bought my first and current MBP over 4 years ago and never looked back. Yes as said that there's some learning curve when transitioning to Mac OS, but it's not difficult to learn and at the end of the day, it's truly worthwhile.

fireman_hippo

Master Member
Reaction score
It's definitely worth the extra bucks. I'm using it for assignments, projects/presentations. I agree with the bro saying to get at least 256gb above. Get the best one you can afford.

xjasonz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i wud say,make sure those important applications,tat u uses for ur WORK r avai in mac variant. gettin use to the os juz takes som time nia.

i second this. this is important. but of course, some people will say, just boot camp and install windows, problem solved.

jeffrey745

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for ur recommendation n advise. Tried the retina mbp at apple shop today,was rly impressed with the fluidity of the software and responsiveness! I've always been interested in mbp. Bt previously all very ex. I was thinking of getting the basic 128gb model,then use my external hdd to save files? If nt change ssd on my own to 256gb or 512gb. The retina mbp with 256gb is very ex...

asriznet

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for ur recommendation n advise. Tried the retina mbp at apple shop today,was rly impressed with the fluidity of the software and responsiveness! I've always been interested in mbp. Bt previously all very ex. I was thinking of getting the basic 128gb model,then use my external hdd to save files? If nt change ssd on my own to 256gb or 512gb. The retina mbp with 256gb is very ex...

Yeah you can upgrade the SSD from the MBP Retina - https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Retina+Display+Mid+2014+SSD+Replacement/27694

but the costs of an upgraded SSD is not cheap! haha

$300 USD for 480GB :D add another $35, they include an enclosure to put your stock SSD so that you can use it as a super fast portable flash drive - OWC SSD (Flash) Drives for Apple MacBook Pro Retina Models 2012 & early 2013

Actually it's quite worth to do the upgrade yourself because if you compare the price from Apple website, between the base model and the middle-range, price difference of $300 to get 256GB of SSD storage space. Where else if you pay slightly more to upgrade your SSD, you get 480GB + 128GB of SSD storage space.

0lYsY36.png

I believe your warranty should still be intact if you follow the guide properly, I'm sure the AASP does the same way when replacing the stock SSD.

Personally I would rather get the 15" with quad-core processors(not so used to 13" screen nowadays), if i'm feeling rich, i would even get the dedicated graphics hehe...

Maybe get it with citibank loan so you won't feel that much of big hole in your pocket. haha...

EldonChew

Reaction score
$300 USD for 480GB :D add another $35, they include an enclosure to put your stock SSD so that you can use it as a super fast portable flash drive - OWC SSD (Flash) Drives for Apple MacBook Pro Retina Models 2012 & early 2013

Btw, this is NOT compatible for Late 2013 or later Retina MacBook Pros as they use proprietary (non-M.2) PCIe SSD blade drive, there is no aftermarket for them.

There should be a few on eBay but rare

Transcend said they will have them available next year

jeffrey745

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah you can upgrade the SSD from the MBP Retina - https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Retina+Display+Mid+2014+SSD+Replacement/27694

but the costs of an upgraded SSD is not cheap! haha

Actually it's quite worth to do the upgrade yourself because if you compare the price from Apple website, between the base model and the middle-range, price difference of $300 to get 256GB of SSD storage space. Where else if you pay slightly more to upgrade your SSD, you get 480GB + 128GB of SSD storage space.

0lYsY36.png

I believe your warranty should still be intact if you follow the guide properly, I'm sure the AASP does the same way when replacing the stock SSD.

Personally I would rather get the 15" with quad-core processors(not so used to 13" screen nowadays), if i'm feeling rich, i would even get the dedicated graphics hehe...

Maybe get it with citibank loan so you won't feel that much of big hole in your pocket. haha...
Thanks for all the info and help,that's wad im looking for! Yea apple always charges a premium for its products. I believe ssd prices will drop over time ,jus like hw hdd used to b expensive many yrs back. Will jus wait for it to drop till real cheap n gt it.( I'm a budget conscious buyer,jus a part time student n working adult) Btw,I saw amazon selling samsung 250gb ssd for like USD $120,is it compaitable?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E3W1726?cache=8b7c6acd0ceff816cf8703f479dd9868&pi=SX200_QL40&qid=1414257072&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1

I gt an external 500gb hdd,dun mind using carrying it ard with my mbp..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.