New MacBooks and Recommendations

drpanda

Master Member
Reaction score
:s11:

ram upgrade is better than the intel chip???

for future proof?

it's already at maximum 16GB.

15-inch MacBook Pro - Space Grey
Hide Configuration Details
Configuration
2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
Radeon Pro 460 with 4GB VRAM
512GB PCIe-based SSD
Four Thunderbolt 3 ports

zitseng

Reaction score
they get an old uncle (serious) to call you to confirm you are ready to receive the delivery.

that same uncle will pass you the box. you sign the delivery. done.

anything you can call Apple support later. they will pick up the box from you if there is something wrong. if you are worried, give the support a call first

Old uncle? It's all by courier right. Just depends on who the courier is. The first batch orders are almost always straight from China factory, so will come via DHL.

As for contents checking: Just take delivery and done. Courier doesn't care if the contents are wrong... their job is only to deliver the box.

zitseng

Reaction score
I'm talking about SG store. They will send you the new set before you return the lemon set. Make sure you return everything that comes with the lemon set if not they will charge you full price.

Interesting that they operate this way. The last time I went through the experience, the procedure is to return the old one first, before they ship the new one.

However, you CAN order a 2nd set. It will very likely arrive first, before they even begin processing the returns. However, this means you are having double purchase on your credit card. They only refund when the returns is processed.

Speaking of returns: Apple's really nice. You can buy, try out, change your mind, and simply return for full refund no questions asked. (Terms and conditions apply, not include iPhone, etc.) I have done that a few times before.

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
same upgrades with me. I'm getting end of this month. lol.
:s13:

Need the video ram for editing my raw files for events/weddings. Used my current 2010 13" MBP until it cannot run as fast for large files anymore.

Was waiting for the launch this year to whack a new one :s13:

2.6 or 2.7GHz model?
Took the SG base model, changed to the Radeon 460 4GB video.

Storage wise no issue as I operate a NAS so 256GB is fine for now. Will upgrade when Apple Care is over since it's PCI-E SSD.

*adiBOY

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Need the video ram for editing my raw files for events/weddings. Used my current 2010 13" MBP until it cannot run as fast for large files anymore.

Storage wise no issue as I operate a NAS so 256GB is fine for now. Will upgrade when Apple Care is over since it's PCI-E SSD.

You got the Touch Bar model? If not I don't think the SSD is removable.

drpanda

Master Member
Reaction score

haha.. for me i do photo editing and gaming.

madcampus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To me i don't need the touch bar, furthermore i believe the touch bar will eat up more processing and battery juice. Unfortunately the current non-touchbar spec is very very limited, and it only has 2 USB-C port. Hence I will wait for the next refresh in 2017, hopefully will have better spec and cheaper pricing.

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To me i don't need the touch bar, furthermore i believe the touch bar will eat up more processing and battery juice. Unfortunately the current non-touchbar spec is very very limited, and it only has 2 USB-C port. Hence I will wait for the next refresh in 2017, hopefully will have better spec and cheaper pricing.

e TouchBar is powered by e T1 chip. a variant of the system-on-a-chip used in the Apple Watch. so it has its own processor...

Last edited:

drpanda

Master Member
Reaction score
Me too, but I have a home PC for gaming, :s13:

MBP is bring around or lie on bed relax do editing.

I have gaming laptop but going to replace windows with mac.. now with this will add into my gaming and work laptop. =D
I also has macbook 12inch, that one portable and light, another imac at my parents house. lol

gerrickchua

Reaction score
do you guys think my 2014 mba can last for school purposes until 2018/early 2019?

current batt count at 122 only, or is it recommended for me to get a new one? i mainly use microsoft word and pdfs, and surfing of webs, will never game on laptop cos i have a dedicated pc at home alr, oh and 128gb for dual boot is it too little? need win10 for school

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
do you guys think my 2014 mba can last for school purposes until 2018/early 2019?

current batt count at 122 only, or is it recommended for me to get a new one? i mainly use microsoft word and pdfs, and surfing of webs, will never game on laptop cos i have a dedicated pc at home alr, oh and 128gb for dual boot is it too little? need win10 for school

Can. Use till u finish phd also can. Just to take note, mac Microsoft word tends to have problem with some of the auto referencing. window version is ok

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I can't wait as my 2010 laptop wifi is dead, speakers are crackling, batter life is horrible at 1hr tops and trackpad also insensitive liao.

Was initially going to use for 3 years, but managed to drag to 5 and then 6 now coming 7, very happy already.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.