SSD Upgrade for Macbook Pro

blimey

Reaction score
Any member got upgrade their early 2008 MBP ????
Wat SSD and how the performance ???
Need advise ..
Tks

I did. Performance is good. Boot up time is quicker than my brother's 2011 macbook, running on a hard drive.

It's the best upgrade you can give your ageing macbook.
I bought my SSD from OWC. But i will retire this macbook after Yosemite since Yosemite (if i remember correctly) is the last OS that can support this model.

YewBoon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am considering fitting an SSD on my mid-2012 mbp 13" & push my current hdd to the cd-rom drive (kick out the cd drive).

Is it advisable to have this setup?

burrppp

Reaction score
I did. Performance is good. Boot up time is quicker than my brother's 2011 macbook, running on a hard drive.

It's the best upgrade you can give your ageing macbook.
I bought my SSD from OWC. But i will retire this macbook after Yosemite since Yosemite (if i remember correctly) is the last OS that can support this model.

Ssd from owc
Care to explain more detail ???
Price ??? And where ???

Phelan

Master Member
Reaction score
Any member got upgrade their early 2008 MBP ????
Wat SSD and how the performance ???
Need advise ..
Tks
The difference is like night and day. One of the biggest changes, other than speed, is your battery life.

I was using a Crucial M4 in my 08 MBP before I transplanted it into my mid 12.

bluewave

Reaction score
Sorry for reviving an old thread but the article here (which is linked at the bottom of one of the guys who commented) is a must read for those intending to upgrade their Macs to SSD.

The article is here: http://blogs.helsinki.fi/tuylaant/2014/01/upgrading-old-macs-to-ssds/

I've done upgrading for a few friends and referrals from friends who have Macs. Besides OWC, which is expensive in my opinion partly due to shipping, a decent alternative that won't go wrong is Crucial. Crucial BX100, MX100 all use controllers that work without issues with Macs. They also belong to the company Micron, which Apple uses for memory.

Even though the newer Samsung Evo 850s don't use Sandforce controllers, I've had an issue where the OS X will install into the SSD, but refuse to boot. I resolved the issue by cloning a pre-installed OS X from a USB drive into the SSD.

That said, I think specs on paper wise, OWC and Samsung might be a tad faster than Crucial. But in real world, you probably won't notice the difference so I'll rather go with Crucial.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.