HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Transfer email from Mac Outlook 2011 to Mac Mail (Maverick)

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-11-2013, 01:23 AM   #1
X66

Transfer email from Mac Outlook 2011 to Mac Mail (Maverick)

Hi all,

Need some help here and not sure if this is the correct section of the forum to post. I apologise if I am posting in the wrong section.

I updated from Mountain Lion to Maverick. My contact/calendar/email were initially store in Mac Outlook 2011. After the Maverick update, my contact and calendar do not sync with iPhone anymore as it seems that Maverick does not support outlook sync with itunes in Maverick. My outlook email still works fine and my gmail was on a smtp setup for both incoming and outgoing mails.

I overcome contact & calendar problem after some research and as follow

Contacts - Sync via iClouds to iPhone
Calendar - Sync via Google Calendar to iCal (I needed to share my calendar due to work reasons and hence google calendar)

So the 2 above work very nicely for me but NOT for my email and this is where I need help from experts here. At first I export all my mail from Outlook but only to realise Mac mail cannot import olm file. I google online and realised there are generally 2 methods to transfer email out from Mac outlook

Method 1 is to drag out the mail folder from Mac Outlook to desktop in mbox format. Then import the mbox files into Mac Mail. It works great for emails from 2006 to 2013 but it's very bad for email dated before 2005 (especially those who has attachment such as pdf and jpg - it simply does not show the attachment at all but only tonnes of rubbish character inside) So since this does not work so well for me and I try method 2.

Method 2 is to sync the current mails & folder to an IMAP account from Outlook, once they are uploaded to the server, then I can simply download them in Mac Mail and hopefully all the email will turn out fine. So my natural choice is to convert my Outlook gmail setup from SMTP to IMAP. AND THIS IS WHERE I GOT INTO A SUPER S-H-I-T-T-Y SITUATION AND I NEED HELP TO GET OUT.

The IMAP uploads sync from Outllok takes forever (partly cos my emails in outlook is slightly above 7 GB) and never completes. I suspect there are multiple duplicated in my gmail IMAP account now. I try to set up my gmail in the Mac Mail but it seems like there is only IMAP option in Maverick. There is no more smtp for gmail. And when I revert my gmail back to using smtp in Outlook, it keeps downloading the same files in that I upload to gmail via IMAP. I log on the web gmail but there seems to be nothing in there. The free space shown on the gmail web version is 99.5%. So I need help for the follow

1) How to clear up all the mess in IMAP gmail
2) Anyone has any idea of a smooth transition of mail from Mac Office to Mac Mail (or other email program)?

I need to maintain my current gmail account as it is heavily work related. I have only find one article online that talk about Maverick Mail and Gmail but I dun quite understand. The website is TidBITS: Mail in Mavericks Changes the Gmail Equation

Any expert here and help me out? Suggestions are welcome too. Thanks!
Old 15-11-2013, 01:33 AM   #2
X66

Just to add on, I dun mind spending a bit of money ($50 to $100) if someone can come to me and solve this issue. I have been trying to solve it for 3 days. Or if you know any shops/software clinic that can solve my problem, pls let me know too. Thanks!
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.