Apple Watch back cover separated from main body

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Snoweagle
  • 1 Post By keigo22
  • 1 Post By ngsoonle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2017, 08:27 PM   #1

Apple Watch back cover separated from main body

My gen1 watch's back cover suddenly got separated from its main body after I removed it from the charging dock. Back cover Still stuck with the magnetic charge dock. Looks like the glue isn't doing its job well.

Anyone encountered the same and give advice on how they fixed it? Too bad it's already out of warranty and sending it for servicing might just cost a lot.
ohreally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 10:53 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

My gen1 watch's back cover suddenly got separated from its main body after I removed it from the charging dock. Back cover Still stuck with the magnetic charge dock. Looks like the glue isn't doing its job well.

Anyone encountered the same and give advice on how they fixed it? Too bad it's already out of warranty and sending it for servicing might just cost a lot.
Wow I'll be glad to tell u my story....

Last year just over a year of warranty expiration, that happened and I went to A Lab for replacement and they told me warranty over need to fork out $600 for replacement. I argued this case directly with Apple and after they liaise with A Lab, got it replaced FOC under the Apple Quality Program. A Lab gives 3 mths after-service warranty.

2 over months into daily usage, it came off again and I went back to A Lab, got it replaced again and used as per usual daily. This last replacement was November last year and I've used it daily again UNTIL 4 days ago when I gently removed it from my charging stand by sliding it out, it dislodged again!

I told myself that's it and no more replacements! The watch is still working fine except the back panel came off and attached by a ribbon cable. In the end, I bought the Series 2 and hope this will be much more lasting.
jq75 likes this.
Old 30-04-2017, 11:03 PM   #3

Thanks Snoweagle! I've got an appointment with A lab next week, hopefully I can get an FOC replacement for this (long shot though). If it really comes down to paying 600, I'd rather forget about it and get a Series2.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:38 AM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks Snoweagle! I've got an appointment with A lab next week, hopefully I can get an FOC replacement for this (long shot though). If it really comes down to paying 600, I'd rather forget about it and get a Series2.
Yeah so mght as well get the Series 2 if that's the case. Though it's a little late for the Series 2 but I've no choice as I needed a AW and was waiting for this year's new AW instead.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:51 PM   #5

Just called A Lab this afternoon to ask whether they will charge or not. In the end they told me it will be 350 dollars to replace a perfectly working watch with a loose back cover.

I'd rather pay for a brand new series 2 AW. I cancelled my appt. Maybe I'll try getting those silicon glue from DIY shop and try to DIY the repair.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:05 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just called A Lab this afternoon to ask whether they will charge or not. In the end they told me it will be 350 dollars to replace a perfectly working watch with a loose back cover.

I'd rather pay for a brand new series 2 AW. I cancelled my appt. Maybe I'll try getting those silicon glue from DIY shop and try to DIY the repair.
So seems like the price dropped. Honestly I would not pay any money to have it replaced, some more it's a previous gen AW. Recently there are reports that Apple will extend warranty for battery replacements for the the original AW for 3 years for battery bulging issues that will cause the screen to pop out, not sure if that's also responsible for the backplate dislodging.

My advice is to get a new AW. The Series 2 (if don't use the GPS), batt life is a lot better than the first gen AW. My first gen is still working, maybe someday I'll just use some glue to stick it back.
Old 15-06-2017, 09:52 AM   #7

dont need silicon so dfficult and may glue until the watch cover with glue all over.

Just get a heat resilient 3M double side tape and cut 3 small pieces and paste it inside. I did that for mine and it stay strong forever and never drop out anymore.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
keigo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 11:14 AM   #8
Supremacy Member

dont need silicon so dfficult and may glue until the watch cover with glue all over.

Just get a heat resilient 3M double side tape and cut 3 small pieces and paste it inside. I did that for mine and it stay strong forever and never drop out anymore.
But this means no more water resistant?
~Dragonite~ likes this.
ngsoonle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 12:33 AM   #9
Master Member

Hope sseeiss 2 is better
Guess time wil tell
Old 14-09-2017, 08:22 AM   #10

Thank you for sharing your AW problem.
I'm using pebble time for more than 2 years already, so far so good.
Thinking to get AW S3, but after reading so many pop up issues. Still wondering if AW S3 will last
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 11:10 AM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thank you for sharing your AW problem.
I'm using pebble time for more than 2 years already, so far so good.
Thinking to get AW S3, but after reading so many pop up issues. Still wondering if AW S3 will last
The Series 3 should be even better. So far my Series 2's fine since the replacement and hope it remains this way.

If the Series 3 (without LTE) sold here is with SS case, will be even better, although price will also be more expensive.
Old 14-09-2017, 02:02 PM   #12

thanks again. Will visit apple store soon to find out more info
Just a quick check if AW has a feature to warn us if you forgot to take your iPhone? or when AW lost connectivity with your iPhone?
Old 14-09-2017, 04:30 PM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

thanks again. Will visit apple store soon to find out more info
Just a quick check if AW has a feature to warn us if you forgot to take your iPhone? or when AW lost connectivity with your iPhone?
Warning on forget to take your iPhone. no such feature. If your watch has lost connectivity with you phone or too far away for BT detection, there will be a small icon of a phone with a slash across it in red to indicate.
Old 17-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #14

thanks, too bad, my pebble has that feature.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.