HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Apple Watch as monitoring aid for Heart Patients?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
Master Member

Apple Watch as monitoring aid for Heart Patients?

Seeking opinions

My father had a heart attack a year ago. He is also using a iPhone 7 plus. I mentioned to him that the apple watch would be a good tool to monitor his heart 24/7 and might even predict a irregularity or possible heart attack. He is very keen to buy but seeking opinions on the practicality of it.

To him the other functions of the apple watch are not that impt but he mention will use it to view sms/whatapp and answer phone calls from his ip7+
Old 18-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #2

Seeking opinions

My father had a heart attack a year ago. He is also using a iPhone 7 plus. I mentioned to him that the apple watch would be a good tool to monitor his heart 24/7 and might even predict a irregularity or possible heart attack. He is very keen to buy but seeking opinions on the practicality of it.

To him the other functions of the apple watch are not that impt but he mention will use it to view sms/whatapp and answer phone calls from his ip7+
Yes, it seems to have a great focus on heart related issues. Take a look at this article.

http://mashable.com/2017/09/12/apple.../#Fv7VkDwx4SqS

The heart monitor will monitor a slew of new metrics, including resting heart rate and recovery heart rate after exercise. (You want a lower resting rate, and a higher recovery rate).

Your Series 3 will also alert you when your resting heart rate is elevated while you don't appear to be active. The new feature is "inspired by a lot of the letters we receive from customers who notice an unusually high heart rate when they wouldn't expect one," according to Williams. "Most people won't notice."

Williams didn't elaborate on the circumstances in which people found their heart rates rising unexpectedly. A rise in heart rate could be caused by such things as pregnancy, caffeine, or anxiety, in addition to more serious issues.
Shutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 02:34 PM   #3

Remember to get the series 3 for this because the heart sensor is improved on this iteration.
Old 18-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #4

Is your father a tech guy?
I think you must also consider that he might not be happy charging the watch everyday. It is not 24/7 to monitor.

I suggest you also try using the watch yourself for a month to get the feeling of using it.

I am using series 1 for a year. I even have the app cardiogram. But still feel not convenient enough to monitor heart rate. Not easy to dig on history. Then, you get bored checking your heart rate everyday.

Series 3 seems to have a better heart rate sensor as the press say.

Seeking opinions

revogsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 07:16 PM   #5
Master Member

Is your father a tech guy?
I think you must also consider that he might not be happy charging the watch everyday. It is not 24/7 to monitor.

I suggest you also try using the watch yourself for a month to get the feeling of using it.

I am using series 1 for a year. I even have the app cardiogram. But still feel not convenient enough to monitor heart rate. Not easy to dig on history. Then, you get bored checking your heart rate everyday.

Series 3 seems to have a better heart rate sensor as the press say.
He is not a tech guy. But he is aware needed to be charge every night

As for me I don't like the feeling of wearing a watch ..
athletic91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 02:30 AM   #6

Another option, buy 2? so 1 watch during the day and 1 worn while at sleep or night then it will have 24/7 with the watch to monitor the heartbeat??
Old 20-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #7

actually, no need for 2 watch.

you can charge the watch for 30 minutes in morning while taking shower which adds around 60% .
then charge for 20 - 30 minutes in evening before sleeping.

With apple watch, you can see in the iPhone Health app the historical heart rate.

I dont know if there are app that sends notification like :

"Your heart rate NN is below normal"
"Your heart rate NN is above normal"

At home, we have the Omron blood pressure monitor and we trust this compared to apple watch

Another option, buy 2? so 1 watch during the day and 1 worn while at sleep or night then it will have 24/7 with the watch to monitor the heartbeat??
revogsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 01:31 AM   #8

sounds like a good idea...
Old 22-09-2017, 06:14 AM   #9

And you can also have an overview of the heart rates for the day in the Health app.
tec_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.