learning japanese

v1hypersg

Reaction score
hello

does anyone have any recommendations of any good schools for teaching japanese in singapore ?

want to learn the language, read, write and speak

hopefully can be in the east side of singapore

regards

Ghostie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
v1hypersg said:
hello

does anyone have any recommendations of any good schools for teaching japanese in singapore ?

regards

Try out the community centres.. they offer cheap classes on Japanese...

gabong

Reaction score
http://www.bunkalang.com/index.htm

this is a nice place.
taught by jap ppl.

teaches more practical jap then more places... which concentrate on formal aspect of the language.

v1hypersg said:
hello

regards

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
v1hypersg said:
hello

regards
check out the community centre for this jap guy "taro imanaka". he was my jap language teacher last time, funny guy and he teaches in the east in the pasir ris area...

v1hypersg

Reaction score
lycans said:
check out the community centre for this jap guy "taro imanaka". he was my jap language teacher last time, funny guy and he teaches in the east in the pasir ris area...

which community centre did you learn japanese from this guy ?

is he japanese ?

how much were the charges and what kind of lessons does he teach ?

just basic or he covers all the way to advance japanese as well as well as prepare you for JLPT ?

morohh

Reaction score
if no $$ just learn online like me lolz.

go http://www.guidetojapanese.org/ for grammar and stuff
then kanji just search google can liao. of course you must memorise hiragana and katakana 1st la

for practical, try to read jap webbie, post in jap language can le. watch jap movie to hear them talk and lagi best if you got partner to practise with :) works for me.

ShougunX

Reaction score
First japanese language teacher was a singaporean. Therefore my basic foundation very stable as singaporeans can explain better...wayyyyyyyy better than japanese teachers.

Then intermediate and advance follow up by the principle himself whom was a japanese but had migrated to singapore tens of yrs ago, married and start a family here.....therefore he can speak chinese (impressive) and hokkien (even more impressive). Therefore, i am lucky to have a native japanese that can explain damn well.

Anyway, that was at Hougang Japanese School. The Hougang branch was the first japanese school in singapore. Although the hougang branch looks dirty and ancient, do not let it deceive you. It is a rather good school and the teachers (according to my experience) are willing to go beyond the stipulated hours to teach and explain more if u request.

Btw, tat was almost 5 yrs ago.....JCS was not bad. Tried it this yr cos very near my workplace.

Had frens studying in bunka....i was not impressed with their so called 'patented' special learning method when i read thru the notes and heard the studying method adopted there. Found that the basic foundation would not be strong. But then that's my personal opinion. Never really tried myself so can't really judge.

Wil

Reaction score
I learn jap from Inoue Language school. Its located at Orchard Emerald, near somerset mrt, all teachers are native japanese. I dun agree that jap teacher speak bad english. Cos mine, Okubo sensei speaks very well. Check out their webbie: www.inoue.com.sg

Cheers,
Wil

Clarity

Reaction score
Wil said:
I learn jap from Inoue Language school. Its located at Orchard Emerald, near somerset mrt, all teachers are native japanese. I dun agree that jap teacher speak bad english. Cos mine, Okubo sensei speaks very well. Check out their webbie: www.inoue.com.sg

Cheers,
Wil

Well, Im currently attending class @ Inoue as well... My Sensei does not speak much English -.-" Furthermore, one thing I do not like abt lesson there is that the classes always starts late... But definitely ends on time O.O Haha...

Valkyrie

Master Member
Reaction score
hi, how much do u pay for the course in inoue? need to know when the course starts as well, thanks.

Wil

Reaction score
Hmm, think they jus raised to price to $400 per course, but if you stick with them for a year, you get an all expense paid trip to Japan, provided you pass the JLPT exam for your level lah. :D

The schedule, you'll have to call them up, 6333 3314.

Life is a choice, it might not be a choice you like, but nonetheless IT IS A CHOICE,
Will

Valkyrie

Master Member
Reaction score
sian, the inoue course started liao. I went to bunkalang yesterday. Not very impressed. In fact i think they are trying to teach english more than japanese. I think i go JCS instead.

kingz

Reaction score
So what are the teaching methods??? I also keen to learn jap, dunno which one is good.

ShougunX

Reaction score
wat do u mean by teaching method? japanese to start off with is a lot of memorizing (as in most foreign languages anyway) with 4 writing methods namely hiragana, katakana, roma-ji(english translations) & kanji (chinese characters). There are around 50++ characters each to memorize for hiragana and katakana.......ermm...if u ask me, any school is around the same although the more common ones are Bunka, Hougang Japanese School, and of course, JCS.

kingz

Reaction score
i see...but i not sure which school is good. Because i am new to japanese and may be slow in learning it. i would prefer a smaller class size though

direbmem

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wil said:
Hmm, think they jus raised to price to $400 per course, but if you stick with them for a year, you get an all expense paid trip to Japan, provided you pass the JLPT exam for your level lah. :D

The schedule, you'll have to call them up, 6333 3314.

Life is a choice, it might not be a choice you like, but nonetheless IT IS A CHOICE,
Will
i need a confirmation on this.not advertise on website leh.if its true , i will learn myself first, then sign up for course in order to go japan for free

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ShougunX said:
First japanese language teacher was a singaporean. Therefore my basic foundation very stable as singaporeans can explain better...wayyyyyyyy better than japanese teachers.

Then intermediate and advance follow up by the principle himself whom was a japanese but had migrated to singapore tens of yrs ago, married and start a family here.....therefore he can speak chinese (impressive) and hokkien (even more impressive). Therefore, i am lucky to have a native japanese that can explain damn well.

Anyway, that was at Hougang Japanese School. The Hougang branch was the first japanese school in singapore. Although the hougang branch looks dirty and ancient, do not let it deceive you. It is a rather good school and the teachers (according to my experience) are willing to go beyond the stipulated hours to teach and explain more if u request.

Btw, tat was almost 5 yrs ago.....JCS was not bad. Tried it this yr cos very near my workplace.

Had frens studying in bunka....i was not impressed with their so called 'patented' special learning method when i read thru the notes and heard the studying method adopted there. Found that the basic foundation would not be strong. But then that's my personal opinion. Never really tried myself so can't really judge.

Does the JCS have part time weekend classes? Appears that they don't have part time courses also on their website...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.