[Official Thread] ASUS RT-AC56S

swathe

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone facing the issue where the 2.4Ghz is unable to initialize?

- 5Ghz working well
- Turning off and on the radio for 2.4Ghz, the SSID shows up for a short while and disappears. 5Ghz remains in place.
- SSID broadcast is on, SSID is not hidden

This issue happens recently after I shutoff and move my router. No drops or physical damage.

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi swathe,

You can bring it down to our service center if the unit is still under warranty. If deemed faulty, you'll get a replacement.

Could be the 2.4GHz band failing.

swathe

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just did a reset through the initialize option (that wipes config and logs) and luckily it worked again.

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi guys, digging this up cuz i got this spare router and wanna set it up in AP mode...

firstly, it seems to work in AP mode regardless whether i plug the cable to the WAN port or LAN1 port, does it matter?

secondly, i was thinking the ac56s can now be used as a switch as well, but how come some of the ac56s ports not operating at full speed ah? i tried looking for a setting within the admin page that can specify the port speed for lan ports but don't see it. i remember seeing something like that on my old n56u.

thirdly, got any good 3rd party firmware for ac56s? or is this the best? https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/R...T-AC56S-AsusWrt-Merlin-Firmware-384-6-0.shtml

Last edited:

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi guys, digging this up cuz i got this spare router and wanna set it up in AP mode...

firstly, it seems to work in AP mode regardless whether i plug the cable to the WAN port or LAN1 port, does it matter?
Other than losing out 1 LAN port.
secondly, i was thinking the ac56s can now be used as a switch as well, but how come some of the ac56s ports not operating at full speed ah? i tried looking for a setting within the admin page that can specify the port speed for lan ports but don't see it. i remember seeing something like that on my old n56u.
Can't recall if the stock firmware allows setting of port speed, it should be auto-negotiable by default. Check cable, RJ45 connector and related devices.
thirdly, got any good 3rd party firmware for ac56s? or is this the best? https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/R...T-AC56S-AsusWrt-Merlin-Firmware-384-6-0.shtml
Merlin firmware doesn't support this router, the closest match is AC56U and the last working firmware on AC56S is RT-AC56U_378.55_0. The mentioned site can't be trusted with regards to this.

You might want to try Merlin fork, the last firmware I tested, Update-43E6, still work on the AC56S.

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Other than losing out 1 LAN port.

Can't recall if the stock firmware allows setting of port speed, it should be auto-negotiable by default. Check cable, RJ45 connector and related devices.

Merlin firmware doesn't support this router, the closest match is AC56U and the last working firmware on AC56S is RT-AC56U_378.55_0. The mentioned site can't be trusted with regards to this.

You might want to try Merlin fork, the last firmware I tested, Update-43E6, still work on the AC56S.

thanks for replying

another weird behaviour, when i use LAN1, i got full 1000mbps speed, when i use LAN4, i only get 100mbps speed, when i use LAN2 and LAN3, cannot get online :s22:

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for replying

another weird behaviour, when i use LAN1, i got full 1000mbps speed, when i use LAN4, i only get 100mbps speed, when i use LAN2 and LAN3, cannot get online :s22:
Not sure about the port speed thingy, will need to test it out when I have some free time.

BTW, other 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT and FreshTomato do work on this router. Just take note that for the former, still need to look for AC56U model.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.