Asus DirectCUII TOP R9 280X - Graphical artifacts/corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiszRie

Reaction score
I've purchased the above mention card 2 days ago and have experienced graphical artefacts and corruption in games like FF14 and BF4, the frequency of artefacts is high and makes the game unplayable

I've updated the VBIOS to thelatest found on Asus's site and using Catalyst 13.12

I have a friend with the same card who experiences the same issues, so i doubt its an isolated case

My friend and I are both running the card at stock, I've tried increasing the power control to +20% and tried Catalyst 13.11 and the Catalyst on Asus's site but the issue persists.

A quick google search on "Asus 280x artefacts" turns up numerous similar complaints but with no official acknowledgement

Returns are not a norm in Singapore, as such, I'm now stuck with a card that fails to perform its advertised function and it certainly is unacceptable

I'm upgrading from a SAPPHIRE 7950 Vapor-X and I've never had any issues with it

Screenshots:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/588wv0sp55ujmt2/ffxiv_01282014_223029.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/426dg1i79fa6yug/ffxiv_01282014_223152.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i2518sc0lycynbm/ffxiv_01282014_223011.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bydw0kj31ha3u2z/ffxiv_01282014_222951.png

System Specifications:

CPU - Intel i5 4670K
Motherboard - ASUS MAXIMUS VI GENE
Memory - Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB
HDD - Plextor M5Pro 256GB
PSU - Corsair AX850W

Last edited:

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Dear ReiszRie,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this caused.

Thank you for your purchase of ASUS R9280X DC II. Please contact Avertek service centre at 6341 7839 from 9.30am - 6.00 pm [Monday to Friday] or visit at
95 Kallang Avenue #03-00
AIS Industrial Building
Singapore 339420

Notice: Avertek service centre will be closed during Chinese new year season.

Avertek Service centre:
Close date: 29th January 2014 - 5th February 2014
Reopen date: 6th February 2014

Thank you again, for your honest feedback.

ReiszRie

Reaction score
Primarily, I'd like to know if it is an isolated issue or if it is an inherent issue (hardware of BIOs) with the cards manufactured by Asus, the fact that there are numerous others who reports identical issues points to it being less of an isolated issue.

e.g http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?43057-R9-280x-DirectCU-II-Top-Artifacts!!

Hypothetically, assuming that I went through the lengthy RMA process and I've gotten my card replaced and the same issue occurs, what sort of support can I receive from ASUS? as throwing $500+ into a card that can't serve its intended purpose from day 1 isn't exactly something you could expect a customer to swallow.

Last edited:

nemesisranger

Reaction score
Seriously, I find Asus support in Singapore to be very weak.
Per the previous post, some very legitimate questions were thrown out to Asus yet no proper response from them.

My R9 280X V2 is having problem. Brought it to Avertek but there is no stock....how sad is that? No loan card as well.

I remember with Corbell, they offered a very decent loan card for my HD6950.

I will probably shy away from Asus in the future.

ReiszRie

Reaction score
Seriously, I find Asus support in Singapore to be very weak.
Per the previous post, some very legitimate questions were thrown out to Asus yet no proper response from them.

My R9 280X V2 is having problem. Brought it to Avertek but there is no stock....how sad is that? No loan card as well.

I remember with Corbell, they offered a very decent loan card for my HD6950.

I will probably shy away from Asus in the future.

Indeed, this is probably the last time I'll be purchasing or even recommending Asus products, one thing for sure, I'll be going back to Gigabyte/MSI boards and MSI/Sapphire graphics card for my next and future builds

Till now, there has been no clarification and Avertek couldn't assist with resolving my problems either

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi all,

We have feedback this issue to our RD. We hope to update you more once they have replicate and update us on this issue.

We will follow up closely.

Sorry for the trouble and thanks for your understanding.

In the meantime, the only solution that we have is to RMA this unit for you. Please contact our distributor Avertek on your problem. If they have stock, they will do a replacement for you.

Avertek service centre at 6341 7839 from 9.30am - 6.00 pm [Monday to Friday] or visit at
95 Kallang Avenue #03-00
AIS Industrial Building
Singapore 339420

Link: http://deluxeforums.hardwarezone.com...t-4042285.html

Thanks!

Thanks!

gongkia2000

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just went to the shop to make a 1-1 exchange. Even the new set has the same problems. My previous graphics card gave me no such problem.

I think it is reasonable that I receive a full refund for this card. I would like to return it. How can I use a card that is intrinsically faulty?

ReiszRie

Reaction score
still no response and no update from ASUS.

Guess GIGABYTE is still the better component brand afterall, won't be making the same mistake twice.

gongkia2000

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
still no response and no update from ASUS.

Guess GIGABYTE is still the better component brand afterall, won't be making the same mistake twice.
I managed to get them to swap my 280x for a gtx770. Go bug them for this. No problems with the 770.

ReiszRie

Reaction score
I managed to get them to swap my 280x for a gtx770. Go bug them for this. No problems with the 770.
I'd personally prefer to stick to AMD for the Mantle and partly because I've always been an ATi/AMD Radeon user but I can consider the GeForce 780 with top-up

ReiszRie

Reaction score
The frequency of the artefacts has gone up after 14.4 catalyst update.

This might just turn into a class action suit against ASUS considering the sheer number of affected parties and ASUS's preferred method of non-communication.

gongkia2000

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did you email and go down to avertek personally? It wasn't easy but eventually they were helpful with me.

wilflare

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
anyone else having issues?
I'm facing the same issues too
- artefacts during HD videoplaying
- artefacts during CoJ: Gunslinger
- artefacts during Astrebreed

the problem is that it happens randomly so I can't screenshots now

poor_poor

Reaction score
anyone else having issues?
I'm facing the same issues too
- artefacts during HD videoplaying
- artefacts during CoJ: Gunslinger
- artefacts during Astrebreed

the problem is that it happens randomly so I can't screenshots now

Why don't RMA your card?

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Dear all,

If you have artifacts or display garbage issue.

Please bring your graphics card with receipt to Avertek service centre.

Please contact them before going down.

Avertek Enterprises Pte Ltd

95 Kallang Avenue #03-00
AIS Industrial Building Singapore 339420
Tel: (65) 6341 7839 Fax: (65) 63417739

Operating Hours

9.30am - 6.00 pm ( Mondays – Friday)

Closed on Saturday, Sundays and Public Holidays

Best regard,
JK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.