ASUS GR8 HDD+SSD Configuration

al_aizad

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently just purchased the GR8 with 1TB internal HDD.

I also bought a 500GB SSD. I understand that based on tech specs, it only supports up to 256GB SSD. Is it still possible to use my 500GB SSD? Or do I have no choice but to give it away?

My ultimate plan is to have a 500GB SSD internal + 2TB HDD external configuration.

Please advise. Thank you.

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently just purchased the GR8 with 1TB internal HDD.

I also bought a 500GB SSD. I understand that based on tech specs, it only supports up to 256GB SSD. Is it still possible to use my 500GB SSD? Or do I have no choice but to give it away?

My ultimate plan is to have a 500GB SSD internal + 2TB HDD external configuration.

Please advise. Thank you.

Dear al_aizad,

I didn't test with SSD 500Gb of storage. You may plug in the 500Gb of SSD to test on the spare SATA slot.

Please keep us update :)

Best regard,
JK

al_aizad

Reaction score
Hello, thank you for your reply.

I tried and it appeared as a new drive under My Computer.

I also managed to clone the internal hdd to the ssd. My question is, how do I boot up my GR8 from the SSD?

I had updated my system and BIOS, etc. already and entered into BIOS to select my SSD as boot priority but on trying to boot the system keeps on loading the Setup screen.

I realised that only the HDD that comes with the GR8 has a "boot manager".
Could that be it?
How do I get the boot manger onto my SSD?

How long would it take if i were to bring it down to a service center to get the internal drive swapped?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.