My Melbourne Itinerary

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Solo driver here too, gonna drive around 1,600km the whole trip.

When you going?

I just heard from my wife that my MIL and SIL going to join us. I wonder is there enough car storage :s13:

You rented an 8 seater did you?

Yachtmaster

Reaction score
Are you sure she's not just trying to put in more shopping time? :s13:

Yes i guess that's half of her intention :s13:

Solo driver here too, gonna drive around 1,600km the whole trip.

When you going?

I just heard from my wife that my MIL and SIL going to join us. I wonder is there enough car storage :s13:

Going in mid of august. I guess 7 seater would be more comfortable, else the middle one at the back may feel uncomfy for long hours drive

Yachtmaster

Reaction score
Not sure if restaurants in farms/wineries/factories/zoos accepts credit cards?

Thinking to use mainly uob visa signature that gives 5% rebate

spurman

Reaction score
Yatchmaster.

Like some brudders here suggested. Self drive to gor... stay overnite in port campbell. Doable and not very tiring bro.

Next day slowly drive back mel also can go jalan jalan cbd again mah.

Melbourne city pretty boring if u ask me. Haha. Go aussie go see nature mah. Hehe

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not yet. I was about to get the Mitsubishi Outlander or Hyundai Santa Fe.

The 8 seater too huge for me. A total of 4 adults and 1 baby.

oh, i thought initially you had 4 already..

With the baby seat, it might be a bit of a squeeze.. consider getting a 7 seater instead? Kluger or Pathfinder equivalent?

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not sure if restaurants in farms/wineries/factories/zoos accepts credit cards?

Thinking to use mainly uob visa signature that gives 5% rebate

Most places do, but using sg credit card, won't you lose out on the exchange rate?

spurman

Reaction score
Yatchmaster.

Like some brudders here suggested. Self drive to gor... stay overnite in port campbell. Doable and not very tiring bro.

Melbourne city pretty boring if u ask me. Haha. Go aussie go see nature mah. Hehe

Yachtmaster

Reaction score
Yatchmaster.

I agree bro, more economical also, but the women scared car-sick and prefer more time to shop next day too, plus the small boy may kpkb. So in the end decided to let pple drive us.

Most places do, but using sg credit card, won't you lose out on the exchange rate?

I calculated with 5% rebates can cover the bank cost 2.5% and visa card exchange rate with a little bit of "earnings"

spurman

Reaction score
I found the driving highlight of my recent melbourne trip is driving along gor.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can't rem if i posted a video of my trip to the Great Alpine road back in Apr. If you've done GOR, i would encourage you to do the GAR..

Here's it.

kendrick272

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh, i thought initially you had 4 already..

With the baby seat, it might be a bit of a squeeze.. consider getting a 7 seater instead? Kluger or Pathfinder equivalent?
I saw Hertz has it, but i cant choose the zero excess. Any idea why?

EEXOOO

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can't rem if i posted a video of my trip to the Great Alpine road back in Apr. If you've done GOR, i would encourage you to do the GAR..

Here's it.

Wow looks beautiful, is it a snow prone area?

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
Was flying back from Sydney yesterday, so I'll just have to do a big reply post now. :)

I calculated with 5% rebates can cover the bank cost 2.5% and visa card exchange rate with a little bit of "earnings"

You'll need to spend between $1-2k to qualify for the rebate. SG money changers were roughly at 1.01 just before the trip last week, and my UOB visa card posted at around 1.035 - 1.04 for the period.

However, in Australia, merchants are allowed to charge surcharges for credit card transactions. While some places don't, some are willing to charge around 1 - 1.5%.

So after all of the fees and surcharges, you're roughly back at even.

I saw Hertz has it, but i cant choose the zero excess. Any idea why?

I use the rate code ASX, although there are circumstances where it doesn't give you the zero excess price. Reasons include where there are promotions where it doesn't allow you to take the zero excess option, or the specific car type where zero excess is not offered. Either way, if it is available, it will add up to roughly $33 per day including tax.

Wow looks beautiful, is it a snow prone area?

Mount Hotham is a ski resort, so certainly expect some snow in the colder months.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Was flying back from Sydney yesterday, so I'll just have to do a big reply post now. :)

You'll need to spend between $1-2k to qualify for the rebate. SG money changers were roughly at 1.01 just before the trip last week, and my UOB visa card posted at around 1.035 - 1.04 for the period.

However, in Australia, merchants are allowed to charge surcharges for credit card transactions. While some places don't, some are willing to charge around 1 - 1.5%.

So after all of the fees and surcharges, you're roughly back at even.

Those merchants are seriously ripped offs.. i still carry a fair amount of cash and refuse to pay exorbitant bank fees.

Yesterday the commbank announce hikes in fees for any type of bank transactions over the counter.. the most ridiculous ones must be, withdrawing money over the counter, they charge $2.50... banking in a cheque they charge $1.50 or $2 something like that...

These banks ought to be shot!:evil:

EEXOOO

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, then I better not go. Rear wheel drive and first time on snow is no joke.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.