HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

My Melbourne Itinerary

Like Tree150Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #61
Arch-Supremacy Member

I loan the map from Marbella (free). Just a microSD card and it works fine.
Also before you go you can install addresses of all places you want to visit.
I heard renting from them for a week --the cost can pay for a GPS over here.
hi, ya i also bought a marbella gps at the recent comex and got the australia/NZ map from them yest. Explored a bit last nite and seems quite easy to use. Should be sufficient for my GOR drive already. Thanks!
Old 09-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #62
Banned

use Iphone as GPS can already wat
HPY090909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:16 AM   #63
oho

hi, ya i also bought a marbella gps at the recent comex and got the australia/NZ map from them yest. Explored a bit last nite and seems quite easy to use. Should be sufficient for my GOR drive already. Thanks!
Yes GOR is definitely OK--that was where I also went with my Marbella + borrowed Aussie map in February.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #64
High Supremacy Member

DON'T! Data charges will pwn you. Unless you downloaded dedicated maps for Australia from your app that uses them.
genie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #65
Banned

of course use dedicated GPS software la ...i use for thousands of kilometers in perth and melbourne ...not a single cent charged ...the software is 1/10 the price of rental or purchase of a standalone gps unit
HPY090909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #66
High Supremacy Member

of course use dedicated GPS software la ...i use for thousands of kilometers in perth and melbourne ...not a single cent charged ...the software is 1/10 the price of rental or purchase of a standalone gps unit
Then good. Last time I went, Androids not out in full force yet. Used my E51 with Nokia Maps then downloaded Australia map for only SGD14 to use. Paired with a Holux GPSr via Bluetooth.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #67

just spend 30 bucks for a 1 month prepaid plan(500mb). or 2 bucks per day (unlimited i think) from optus

cos you'll only need the data plan for your phone only to GOR or when you're coming back from GOR.
Makubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #68
High Supremacy Member

just spend 30 bucks for a 1 month prepaid plan(500mb). or 2 bucks per day (unlimited i think) from optus

cos you'll only need the data plan for your phone only to GOR or when you're coming back from GOR.
This is another good option with an Oz data sim card. Wish it is that simple for the guys in the US thread in the main folder.
Old 27-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #69

Using your itinerary as a reference, I traveled from Philip Island to Sorrente Ferry (3 hours). Bought seafood basket from Sorrente local fish and chips shop, then took ferry and eat lunch in car. The ferry (1 hr) is a nice break with cooling breeze and nice view.

After that slight difference from yours, instead of staying at Lorne, I drove to Apollo Bay (3 hrs) from Queenscliff ferry. Stayed one night and travel to Warrnambool (4 hours slow scenice ride with lots of stops). Stayed at Lady Bay Resort with a nice sea view of the great ocean

I must say that it is very tempting to speed when driving a car like camry as maintaining it at speed around 80 or 60 km/h is harder. I was advised against speeding there as there maybe speedcamera there. When driving long straight roads, it is very tempting to fall asleep there with the windows open and cold air rushing in. Better to take breaks when u feel tired when driving there.

Btw, I used my own garmin gps and downloaded the 2009 australia map from internet through *ahem* sources where a lot of ppl download things one

Last edited by Machim; 27-10-2011 at 10:06 AM..
Machim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #70

Using your itinerary as a reference, I traveled from Philip Island to Sorrente Ferry (3 hours). Bought seafood basket from Sorrente local fish and chips shop, then took ferry and eat lunch in car. The ferry (1 hr) is a nice break with cooling breeze and nice view.

After that slight difference from yours, instead of staying at Lorne, I drove to Apollo Bay (3 hrs) from Queenscliff ferry. Stayed one night and travel to Warrnambool (4 hours slow scenice ride with lots of stops). Stayed at Lady Bay Resort with a nice sea view of the great ocean

I must say that it is very tempting to speed when driving a car like camry as maintaining it at speed around 80 or 60 km/h is harder. I was advised against speeding there as there maybe speedcamera there. When driving long straight roads, it is very tempting to fall asleep there with the windows open and cold air rushing in. Better to take breaks when u feel tired when driving there.

Btw, I used my own garmin gps and downloaded the 2009 australia map from internet through *ahem* sources where a lot of ppl download things one

ermh...possible to send me the gps file for your garmin?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #71

Wink

ermh...possible to send me the gps file for your garmin?
The file is 150MB size, I would suggest you google 'pirateb*y' and download it from the first search result
Machim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #72
Great Supremacy Member

The ski resorts are not that great. They need artificial snow and the best time to go is Aug-Sep.

You are missing a lot if you don't go for the national parks. Quite unlike anything.
not correct.

in 2011, snow fall was strong in jun/jul. Aug/sept was melting.
conclusion, it varies year to year. Jul is the best time to go.
Old 29-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #73

The file is 150MB size, I would suggest you google 'pirateb*y' and download it from the first search result
I got it...so just copy the .img into the garmin SD card will do?
Old 29-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #74

My tentative plan now is to drive from Yarra Valley to Mornington Peninsula, get to Sorrento and board the car ferry to Queenscliff. Would like to check if the car ferry thingie is fuss free and that there is no need to pre-book at all, etc? Your timing includes stop, etc?
Old 29-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #75
Great Supremacy Member

try that before...u will b pwn. cos in country areas...ur phone GPS = mati..no signal i dunno y...but we took 2 hrs to get back to main road cos we were so lost
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.