Perth (Lots of advice & help needed please!)

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to update.
1) Lobster shack is a tourist trap. The lobsters aren't very fresh and preparation is average at best. Prices are expensive too (AUD 44 for half a lobster and some gross seafood medallion + a bowl of fried rice).
2) Hutt Lagoon aka pink lake is beautiful and only 100+km north of Geraldton. Definitely worth the drive

39454547_10217436307844130_4187651915997249536_o.jpg

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
Excess will be the same for both?

Excess is the same. Although keep in mind that they may be quoted differently on different sites - e.g. in Australia, all prices must be inclusive of the 10% GST, while on overseas sites, they can choose to quote the base cost without the GST.

ddqwerty

Reaction score
Just wanted to update.
1) Lobster shack is a tourist trap. The lobsters aren't very fresh and preparation is average at best. Prices are expensive too (AUD 44 for half a lobster and some gross seafood medallion + a bowl of fried rice).
2) Hutt Lagoon aka pink lake is beautiful and only 100+km north of Geraldton. Definitely worth the drive

39454547_10217436307844130_4187651915997249536_o.jpg

omg that is BEAUTIFUL. I went kalgoorlie, lake ballard, esperance, and everywhere was kinda underwhelming :( i think i went during the wrong season. overall still a good holiday (proposed and got a yes :s12:)

now entertaining the thought of a 1 month + Aus campervan trip maybe 2020.. definitely doable if a resign :s22:

Jane2

Reaction score
I did lobster shack too. Didnt think the lobster was that great. I had beta ones in SG. The kitchen is run by asians. You can hear mandarin songs played in the kitchen. I actually enjoyed the fried rice in long grain rice more than the lobster... lol

mikeeeey

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
omg that is BEAUTIFUL. I went kalgoorlie, lake ballard, esperance, and everywhere was kinda underwhelming :( i think i went during the wrong season. overall still a good holiday (proposed and got a yes :s12:)

now entertaining the thought of a 1 month + Aus campervan trip maybe 2020.. definitely doable if a resign :s22:

CONGRATS!!!!!!!

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Esperance is beautiful as well but the pink lake is bleah..

ddqwerty

Reaction score
Esperance is beautiful as well but the pink lake is bleah..

yeah, it has been reported the pink lake there has not been pink for a year or more, locals told me may never be pink again. they have lake hillier but have to charter a boat to the island it is on, which is $$$$$$$ :(

and this is the second time i went to esperance, first time was in summer of 2013 (if i remember correctly), the beaches at cape le grand was super beautiful. this time (end of winter) many of the beaches have washed up vege, and the sand was not as soft. locals told me its the season's effect and i really hope that's the case, because i've been around the world a bit, and esperance was the only place that took my breath away. now looking forward to visiting in summer

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yeah, it has been reported the pink lake there has not been pink for a year or more, locals told me may never be pink again. they have lake hillier but have to charter a boat to the island it is on, which is $$$$$$$ :(

and this is the second time i went to esperance, first time was in summer of 2013 (if i remember correctly), the beaches at cape le grand was super beautiful. this time (end of winter) many of the beaches have washed up vege, and the sand was not as soft. locals told me its the season's effect and i really hope that's the case, because i've been around the world a bit, and esperance was the only place that took my breath away. now looking forward to visiting in summer

It wasn't pink when I went in 2015. Lake hillier can take plane to view also iirc.. I went in winter and the beach was beautiful.

11900023_10207752618277943_5796510058007246064_n.jpg

nana80

Reaction score
Hi, will be self-driving with 2 kids in March. Can someone advice if the below itinerary is feasible?

Day 1 - arrive in Perth around 3pm. collect car. visit King’s Albert Park
Day 2 - drive to Fremantle. Stay overnight
Day 3 - Visit Yanchep National Park, Pinnacles and Lancelin Sand Dunes. Stay overnight.
Day 4 - Visit Swan Valley. Stay overnight
Day 5 - Visit Rockingham / dolphin watch / Penguin Island. Stay overnight
Day 6 - Adventure World. Stay overnight in city
Day 7 - City
Day 8 - City, departure

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
Hi, will be self-driving with 2 kids in March. Can someone advice if the below itinerary is feasible?

Day 3 - Visit Yanchep National Park, Pinnacles and Lancelin Sand Dunes. Stay overnight.
Day 7 - City
Day 8 - City, departure

Not sure what your plans are on day 2 exactly, but the drive from Perth to Fremantle is only about 30 mins. Also, it's in the opposite direction of where you want to go to on day 3, so may be do this on day 4 instead and go to Yanchep/Swan Valley on day 2/3.

Personally, with 7/8 days available, I think you would achieve much more by going on a road trip to the south west and Margaret River rather than staying so close to the city.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Day 7 - City
Day 8 - City, departure

Honestly don't waste time on day 5.. suggest you drive all the way to Albany and work your way back up, you see and do more..

It should be something like this

Day 1 - Kings park/City
2 - Fremantle, Perth city
3 - Albany
4 - Pemberton/Margaret river
5 - Margaret river/Dunsborough
6 - Busselton/Mandurah/Perth
7 - Pinnacles
8 - Perth

Papermate

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Day 7 - City
Day 8 - City, departure

What do you want to do at KA Park? Half a day for that?

I think it would be an experience worth trying out to take the train to Freo rather than driving there.

What are your plans for "City"?

PS: The old prison is worth a visit, if you are into a bit of history.

nana80

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

For Day 1, just planning to relax abit so not much activities.

Planning to visit Fremantle market and museums. Day 2 is on Sunday so thought it may be a good time to visit. Not intending to visit the prison since I got a young kid.

For Albany and Margaret River, they are mostly beaches and coastlines? Seems to be a long drive.

For city, planning for zoo, mint, museums, scitech perth and watertown.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.