Perth (Lots of advice & help needed please!)

machcurve

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Planning to head to Perth sometime in May next year. Have a couple of queries which I'd be eternally grateful if any of you could assist:

Car Rental
1. We plan to rent the car online and collect the keys at the airport. It seems like most Aussie car rental websites don't provide info on what kind of fuel specific cars run on. Does anyone know whether we can choose what kind of fuel the car is running on, or does the rental company decide?

2. If it's possible to choose the type of fuel the car rented runs on, what would you guys recommend (or rather, which is the cheapest available option)? Petrol, diesel or?

3. If we're driving out of Perth, should we be concerned as to whether the fuel our car is running on is readily available for sale outside of Perth? Would there be any possibility that certain Western Australian towns do not sell certain kinds of fuel?

4. How do we locate fuel companies in the towns? Google Maps? Or via the rented GPS?

5. I read from quite a couple of sites (and came across in a few car rental contracts) that driving into unsealed roads is not allowed. We intend to go to the Pinnacles and Stirling Ranges. If I'm not mistaken, driving into the Pinnacles involves navigating through a sandy path? Would this be allowed assuming the rental contract specifies that no driving into unsealed roads are permitted? Is there any way to resolve this issue?

General Queries

1. Understand that WA is known for wildflowers and stuff. Has anyone been to Perth/Fremantle/Margaret River/Albany around the May/June period and if so, were there many wildflowers? I think both months don't fall within the wildflower season, but is there any chance that we can expect to see wildflowers along the way? This is because we are contemplating whether we should drive-by certain roads known for wide spreads of wildflowers.

2. Do any of you have any particular recommendations (e.g. eateries, must-buys, must-go-souvenir shops) in Perth/Fremantle/Margaret River/Albany regions? I know that one such place is Morish Nuts?

Attraction Specific Queries

1. Has anyone been to/ drove by the Stirling Ranges along the way back to Perth from Albany? If so, is the road in unsealed/sealed?

Comments on Itinerary

Day 1
Busselton Jetty
Margaret River

Day 2
Greens Pool, Elephant Cove
Albany Wind Farm
Little Beach, Two Peoples' Bay Nature Reserve

Day 3
Stirling Ranges (Planning to drive past this region known for wildflowers + mountains and hills.
After that, head back to Perth (Google tells me it's going to take over 5 hours. It seems like this is the fastest way back to Perth from Albany as well. For those who have been to Albany, did you guys head back via this route as well?)

Day 4
Fremantle
Swan Valley

Day 5
Lancelin Sand Dunes
Thirsty Point Lookout (Cervantes)
Pinnacles

Day 6
Penguin Island
Blue Boat Shed
Hay Street
Swan River

Day 7
Caversham Wildlife Park
Cottesloe Beach
(Flying back on Day 8 in the morning)

*Note for the Perth attractions, it's pretty much scattered for Day 6 and 7 because we are still trying to find places worth visiting. As it stand, we are considering squeezing the more interesting attractions in Day 6 and 7 to ONE day, and perhaps free up another day for Margaret River? That said, we aren't quite sure what exactly we can do at Margaret River either. Anyone has any ideas? We know that Margaret River is known for its vineyards (which we plan to cover briefly - one or two beautiful ones? - in the afternoon after Busselton Jetty). On this note, suggestions please!

Thanks a million folks!

Last edited:

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Went Kings Park, alot of trees and nice scenary .
Went heirisson island, have 6 wild kangeroos ... not bad view...
stayed at perth ambassador @ 79sgd per night .
took free cbd bus alight at fraser perth hotel area.
then walked 15 min to heirisson island ...
reached there at 9+ am, kangeroo still lying there to enjoy the sun ...

wuso

Reaction score
May/June is winter/ almost winter, so I think you will not see alot, or any at all.
I went in spring (Sep), and yes, many parts have carpets of wildflowers - see my blog entry on Stirling Range National Park :
Roving Light TravelPhotoBlog: Stirling Range National Park
If you are expecting something like the 1st pic, then I think you will be disappointed. There may have some more resilient flowers, but I think it will not be as impressive

Also when I went in 2008, the road into Stirling Range NP is unsealed/non-tar road - more like a wide gravelly track. I was a newbie driver, and at one point, drove a little too fast, brake a little too hard, and my car skidded quite badly. Yes, the car not supposed to go onto such road but I didn't know the road is like dat, and luckily nothing happen, and I returned the car also nothing happen :)
Of course, that was some time ago, so now mabbe there is a better road. Ask the accomm in the NP.

Hey folks,

General Queries

1. Understand that WA is known for wildflowers and stuff. Has anyone been to Perth/Fremantle/Margaret River/Albany around the May/June period and if so, were there many wildflowers? I think both months don't fall within the wildflower season, but is there any chance that we can expect to see wildflowers along the way? This is because we are contemplating whether we should drive-by certain roads known for wide spreads of wildflowers.

Attraction Specific Queries

1. Has anyone been to/ drove by the Stirling Ranges along the way back to Perth from Albany? If so, is the road in unsealed/sealed?

machcurve

Reaction score
May/June is winter/ almost winter, so I think you will not see alot, or any at all.
I went in spring (Sep), and yes, many parts have carpets of wildflowers - see my blog entry on Stirling Range National Park :
Roving Light TravelPhotoBlog: Stirling Range National Park
If you are expecting something like the 1st pic, then I think you will be disappointed. There may have some more resilient flowers, but I think it will not be as impressive

Also when I went in 2008, the road into Stirling Range NP is unsealed/non-tar road - more like a wide gravelly track. I was a newbie driver, and at one point, drove a little too fast, brake a little too hard, and my car skidded quite badly. Yes, the car not supposed to go onto such road but I didn't know the road is like dat, and luckily nothing happen, and I returned the car also nothing happen :)
Of course, that was some time ago, so now mabbe there is a better road. Ask the accomm in the NP.

Thanks! May I ask if you went to other places (worth a visit) besides Stirling Ranges and aside from those mentioned in the list mentioned?

Also, did you take the 4/5h route from Albany straight back to Perth or did you stop by some of the towns along the way (e.g. fuel/meals)?

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would suggest you stop by the small towns enroute to Albany from Margaret River. I would do a stop over at the small towns enroute back from Albany to Perth as well. I saw carpets of wild flowers in Aug when I was there 2 years back but none in June or July last year and this year.

edit: My annual pilgrimage to Perth will always include a stop at Wine and Truffle Co @ Manjiump. Not many people know about the place but its worth a stop just for the truffle hunt and the truffle restaurant imho.

Last edited:

machcurve

Reaction score
I would suggest you stop by the small towns enroute to Albany from Margaret River. I would do a stop over at the small towns enroute back from Albany to Perth as well. I saw carpets of wild flowers in Aug when I was there 2 years back but none in June or July last year and this year.

edit: My annual pilgrimage to Perth will always include a stop at Wine and Truffle Co @ Manjiump. Not many people know about the place but its worth a stop just for the truffle hunt and the truffle restaurant imho.

Thanks for the reply!

Oh man, any idea whether there's any chance of wildflowers in early May? What's there in the absence of wild flowers? Just grass?

The truffle hunts look good but I'm afraid it's too expensive! :(

Any suggestions wrt other viable attractions? Oh and are you able to help wrt the queries on car rental?

Thanks!!

wuso

Reaction score
I went the other way, ie from Perth I went Stirling Range NP 1st, then Albany, and then loop back to Perth via the coastal road. Between Perth and Albany, I did not stop anywhere except for Stirling Range. However, between Albany to the western coast, I stopped a few places, namely Denmark (yes, Denmark is in Australia :s22:), Walpole and Pemberton. You can search these places for their attractions, mainly nature type, eg. some treetop walk, an old Karri tree fire lookoout etc

On the coastal side, I also visited Cape Leeuwin, the most southwestern point of Australia where 2 oceans meet. I've written on this too :
Roving Light TravelPhotoBlog: Cape Leeuwin, Western Australia

The Margaret River region, if you're tired of wineries, there're some caves to visit too.

Enjoy!
Thanks! May I ask if you went to other places (worth a visit) besides Stirling Ranges and aside from those mentioned in the list mentioned?

Also, did you take the 4/5h route from Albany straight back to Perth or did you stop by some of the towns along the way (e.g. fuel/meals)?

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

Oh man, any idea whether there's any chance of wildflowers in early May? What's there in the absence of wild flowers? Just grass?

The truffle hunts look good but I'm afraid it's too expensive! :(

Any suggestions wrt other viable attractions? Oh and are you able to help wrt the queries on car rental?

Thanks!!

Early May I don't think so.

Wildflowers - Tourism Western Australia

I would drop by Rottnest island if I had the time, just to look at the quokkas. :s13: Can try Viet Hoa at Northbridge if you like Viet food. Car rental wise, I usually rent from No Birds so its all petrol (Toyota) cars. I usually just pump the lowest grade of petrol. All towns will have a petrol station but the prices will vary. So just be sure to fill up your tank once you go below the half tank mark just to be on the safe side. :o

ps: I love Morish nuts and I usually buy 20+ packets back. I also like Corica.

klavier

Reaction score
Car Rental
1. As far as I know, the default car provided by the rental companies run on petrol.
2. See above.
3. Petrol stations are readily available in WA. Do note that petrol cost is more expensive the further you get from Perth. If you are in Margaret River region, its cheaper to get the petrol at Busselton. Coles supermarket do often small discount vouchers for Shell.
4. I dont think you will have any trouble location petrol stations. Obviously since it is a big and rather undeveloped area, please try to top up everytime petrol tank is 75% empty.
5. Not exactly sure but to if you have no choice but to go on unsealed roads, just drive slowly...

General Queries
1. I have visited this region a few times, more specifically, this is the routes that i took over past years.
a) Perth, MR, Albany, Perth, Pinnacles
b) Perth, MR
c) Perth, Albany, MR (latest trip being about 6 months ago)
I did all 3 trips within the winter months, i.e. June/July. Honestly the wildflowers werent 'good' enough to interest me. I preferred the flowers at Kings Park.

2. Strange answer to give you but I found the nuts at Woolworths to be the most economical. By the way, i like the bakery at Dunsbourough..

Comments on Itinerary
I can only say yr trip seems to be most similar to my first trip, where we tried to crash and see many places. Honestly, it wasnt the most interesting and every time we got into a new town, it was already dark. Pinnacles can be done on a long day trip but be careful not to speed during dusk/dawn due to wildlife.
The only thing i can suggest in case you still want to see all the sights is perhaps take away Swan Valley. This region is roughly similar to MR but i think MR overall is more charming so perhaps you can allocate 1 more day there instead.
For Albany, to me the best attraction is "the gap". The fastest way from Perth to Albany is via Albany Highway but I did not detour into Stirling Ranges.

flakkgot

Reaction score
Wildflowers: good to look at but smells like.. Spit

Can stop over at Pentland Alpaca Farm at Denmark enroute to Albany. Another place where i stopped by is called Bartholomew's Honey farm or something..

If you want a quiet where u can absorb the scenery all by yourself: try this place called Conspicuous Cliff also near Denmark

kevin301

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Planning to head to Perth sometime in May next year. Have a couple of queries which I'd be eternally grateful if any of you could assist:

Car Rental
1. We plan to rent the car online and collect the keys at the airport. It seems like most Aussie car rental websites don't provide info on what kind of fuel specific cars run on. Does anyone know whether we can choose what kind of fuel the car is running on, or does the rental company decide?

2. If it's possible to choose the type of fuel the car rented runs on, what would you guys recommend (or rather, which is the cheapest available option)? Petrol, diesel or?

3. If we're driving out of Perth, should we be concerned as to whether the fuel our car is running on is readily available for sale outside of Perth? Would there be any possibility that certain Western Australian towns do not sell certain kinds of fuel?

4. How do we locate fuel companies in the towns? Google Maps? Or via the rented GPS?

5. I read from quite a couple of sites (and came across in a few car rental contracts) that driving into unsealed roads is not allowed. We intend to go to the Pinnacles and Stirling Ranges. If I'm not mistaken, driving into the Pinnacles involves navigating through a sandy path? Would this be allowed assuming the rental contract specifies that no driving into unsealed roads are permitted? Is there any way to resolve this issue?

Thanks a million folks!

As far as I know, all motor vehicles run on 1 of the following types of fuels, in descending order of commonality:
1) Petrol
2) Diesel
3) Gas (LPG/LNG)

Petrol and Diesel are available in just about every single fuel station. Once you get to about a quarter tank of fuel remaining, I suppose it would be better to look for a refuel. At least you would be able to drive another 100+ kms in search of fuel ;)

Most rental vehicles are petrol-powered. Not many are diesel-powered, except maybe the trucks or pick-ups (they call them 'utes').

Most of the small towns are basically 1 main street and a few side streets. Petrol stations are really not difficult to find.

Usually the rental contract would state something about not driving on unsealed roads. My philosophy is "what they don't know won't hurt them" :) But of course you should exercise extra caution, and also do your best to restore the vehicle to a reasonable condition afterward.

papaya00

Reaction score
Thank for the reply swatchie & Arcanell. I guess I will drop by Swan Valley. The wineries and trail there is I am looking forward to.

Anyway self-drive from Perth to the Pinnacle desert, how long will the journey take on average? Is there any place must stop over along the journey there?
The cervantes village is the town near Pinnacle desert? The desert is actually located at Nambung National Park? Another thing, I use google map to look at the road to Pinnacle but I realised there isint lamp on the road? What is the safest time to leave Pinnacle and return to city? I am not driving off-road, Is it better to rent those SUV or normal sedan will do?

Just doing some homework and research before heading there.

flakkgot

Reaction score
Thank for the reply swatchie & Arcanell. I guess I will drop by Swan Valley. The wineries and trail there is I am looking forward to.

Anyway self-drive from Perth to the Pinnacle desert, how long will the journey take on average? Is there any place must stop over along the journey there?
The cervantes village is the town near Pinnacle desert? The desert is actually located at Nambung National Park? Another thing, I use google map to look at the road to Pinnacle but I realised there isint lamp on the road? What is the safest time to leave Pinnacle and return to city? I am not driving off-road, Is it better to rent those SUV or normal sedan will do?

Just doing some homework and research before heading there.

For me it took close to 3 hours, inclusive of a stop for fish n chips at the petrol kiosk at Lancelin. Cervantes is home to a tourist attraction called Lobster Shack, something like a seafood processing facility which is open for tourist. They do sell cooked lobsters but its rather expensive.

Trust me, you do not need a 4 wheel drive vehicle. I did the drive up to pinnacles in a rented toyota corolla hatch without any issues.

As for the safest time to leave, it depends on the season. And yes, it will very dark once the sun sets. There is a certainly a safety risk considering u will be driving on a unlit two-way, single lane road.

Fireshrine

Reaction score
I've migrated to Perth a few years back and currently working for a local travel operator.

Not selling anything but if anybody needs travel information, itineraries, accommodation, feel free to fire away.

I usually deal with big tour groups instead of FITs.

papaya00

Reaction score
For me it took close to 3 hours, inclusive of a stop for fish n chips at the petrol kiosk at Lancelin. Cervantes is home to a tourist attraction called Lobster Shack, something like a seafood processing facility which is open for tourist. They do sell cooked lobsters but its rather expensive.

Trust me, you do not need a 4 wheel drive vehicle. I did the drive up to pinnacles in a rented toyota corolla hatch without any issues.

As for the safest time to leave, it depends on the season. And yes, it will very dark once the sun sets. There is a certainly a safety risk considering u will be driving on a unlit two-way, single lane road.

Thank for the reply. One way is 3hours? So total journey with return will be around 6hours? Is there any must visit thing at Cervantes?

You rented it from baywater? I intend to rent Corolla hatch also. I will be heading there on March. Sun Set at around 6:30pm so leaving at 2:30pm would be safe enough?

Fireshrine

Reaction score
Thank for the reply. One way is 3hours? So total journey with return will be around 6hours? Is there any must visit thing at Cervantes?

You rented it from baywater? I intend to rent Corolla hatch also. I will be heading there on March. Sun Set at around 6:30pm so leaving at 2:30pm would be safe enough?

Yeah 2.30 is safe enough...it's summer/autumn so plenty of light..sunset around 7pm.

The lobster place is called lobster shack - it's basically a manufacturing plant. Nothing much to do unless you crave lobsters.

Other things to do would be Sandboarding at Lanceline, view wildflowers (during season) at the Pinnacles. That's pretty much it around that area.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.