HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Rental car booking : online vs counter?

Like Tree146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #31

yes yes please review when you are back... i think apex website is the easiest to understand... excess $500 for the middle package. the other website i don't even see how much is the excess...

felt scoot "scoot a car" also quite cheap as they crawl for all offers online and they allow you to buy a car insurance from singapore Allianz company for SGD 9.90 a day which cover excess up to 4k. anyone tried before?
nlee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:14 AM   #32
Master Member

i booked 2 days for my trip to MEL on 15th feb. will review when back!
leogeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #33

i booked 2 days for my trip to MEL on 15th feb. will review when back!
thanks in advance!!!
Old 08-02-2014, 11:28 PM   #34

yes yes please review when you are back... i think apex website is the easiest to understand... excess $500 for the middle package. the other website i don't even see how much is the excess...

felt scoot "scoot a car" also quite cheap as they crawl for all offers online and they allow you to buy a car insurance from singapore Allianz company for SGD 9.90 a day which cover excess up to 4k. anyone tried before?
I notice that Scoot is also partnering "CarTrawler" for the car rental. I happened to check the car rental offered in Tiger Airways website a couple of weeks ago. It gave me surprisingly cheap quote for the car that I was targeting (Mitsubishi Outlander, from Hertz). I jumped to get my credit card to book the car (for my upcoming Australia trip). But at the final seconds, something told me to check the review for the car rental partner - which is "CarTrawler". Google result was surprising ; almost all are negative reviews, with each people telling various kind of bad experiences. Eventually I didn't dare to book with them.
liemsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #35

I notice that Scoot is also partnering "CarTrawler" for the car rental. I happened to check the car rental offered in Tiger Airways website a couple of weeks ago. It gave me surprisingly cheap quote for the car that I was targeting (Mitsubishi Outlander, from Hertz). I jumped to get my credit card to book the car (for my upcoming Australia trip). But at the final seconds, something told me to check the review for the car rental partner - which is "CarTrawler". Google result was surprising ; almost all are negative reviews, with each people telling various kind of bad experiences. Eventually I didn't dare to book with them.
hey bro =)

I was in perth jan 2014, prior to my trip I was looking at car rental companies and reviews, I was really scared as almost every car rental company has at least 80% bad reviews. even big companies like hertz and avis. but I ended up booking with hertz, and everything was alright, mayb cos I took full protection.

I cant really advise and tell you to go ahead with the booking, but I think the reason why you read so many bad reviews is cos ppl will complain/report everytime there's something bad, whereas good experiences are less often reported

I am such an example too, I have not yet gotten to writing sth nice on hertz's fb page, and reviewing all the hotels, opps
liemsc likes this.

Last edited by ddqwerty; 25-02-2014 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: add more stuff
ddqwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 11:05 PM   #36
Master Member

so i Booked with Apex 2 days Hyundai Elantra in MEL.

no issues with them, just that you had to call them from the airport to pick u up and they will send a shuttle which will bring u to their office, about 8mins ride away.

Car is pretty new and in good condition. For the price of about $59 per day, it was good value for money. The Hyundai Elantra is a pretty responsive car with good pickup as opposed to Budget's Nissan Pulsar which we rented in Tasmania for the same price. Had Aux in/out and iPhone USB charger

GPS can be bargained down to $5 a day instead of the $9 per day quoted in the website. Just talk to them at the counter.

They were not fussy/particular about the condition of the car when returned - had no issues with them.

I would choose them again if I were in MEL - good value for $
nlee84 likes this.
Old 26-02-2014, 07:37 AM   #37

Anyone tried ace car rental before? I'm going Melbourne in may. Wanted to book with apex but they only got pickup at the airport. So looking for alternative.
Beta_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #38

no issues with them, just that you had to call them from the airport to pick u up and they will send a shuttle which will bring u to their office, about 8mins ride away.

Car is pretty new and in good condition. For the price of about $59 per day, it was good value for money. The Hyundai Elantra is a pretty responsive car with good pickup as opposed to Budget's Nissan Pulsar which we rented in Tasmania for the same price. Had Aux in/out and iPhone USB charger

GPS can be bargained down to $5 a day instead of the $9 per day quoted in the website. Just talk to them at the counter.

They were not fussy/particular about the condition of the car when returned - had no issues with them.

hey... which package did you choose? the works?
Old 26-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #39
Master Member

Is it really necessary to get a car seat if traveling with a toddler?
Old 26-02-2014, 11:29 PM   #40
Master Member

hey... which package did you choose? the works?
ya the middle one with excess capped at $750

i booked with budget in Tasmania and the excess was at $2000+!!! was shocked. Had to pay a lot more per day (think it was $30 a day) to reduce the excess to like $200+
Old 27-02-2014, 01:21 AM   #41

Yay.. the awaited leogeo's review has finally come out (positively) I think this should end my car rental search already. Thanks
liemsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 12:25 PM   #42

I have good experience with Apex in NZ 2 years ago. And have already booked them for coming Mar trip to Melbourne.
yangtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #43

I have good experience with Apex in NZ 2 years ago. And have already booked them for coming Mar trip to Melbourne.
FYI, the car I reserved for Mar trip cost A$47 a day for a total of 9 days. Package inclue
Hyundai Elantra Mid Size Sedan
Zero Excess
Unlimited KMs
GPS Navigation.

Total cost A$423
yangtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 08:22 PM   #44
Master Member

FYI, the car I reserved for Mar trip cost A$47 a day for a total of 9 days. Package inclue
Zero Excess
Unlimited KMs
GPS Navigation.

Total cost A$423
yea, that's good. mine was only 2 days, that's why prob more exp.

the Elantra is a nice car to drive - fast pickup and roomy boot
yangtan likes this.
Old 28-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #45

Zero Excess
Unlimited KMs
GPS Navigation.

Total cost A$423
That's a good price considering the point in bold...
yangtan likes this.
kevin301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.