Rental car booking : online vs counter?

HUGO15481

Reaction score
Dear all,

I am trying to book a car for my Perth trip in July, but it does not seem to allow me to add on the additional driver.

There is a part on 'Accident Excess Reduction', but when i click and read it, I do not quite understand what it means.

Can someone assist to enlighten me?

Lastly, anyone has any comments of driving a Toyota Kluger? This model doesn't seem to be available in Singapore or is it similar to Harrier?

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

I am trying to book a car for my Perth trip in July, but it does not seem to allow me to add on the additional driver.

There is a part on 'Accident Excess Reduction', but when i click and read it, I do not quite understand what it means.

Lastly, anyone has any comments of driving a Toyota Kluger? This model doesn't seem to be available in Singapore or is it similar to Harrier?

You can always add while you're at the counter, usually if you book hertz or the bigger rental co, there's no extra for additional drivers.

Accident excess reduction is a premium you pay to reduce the excess say from basic $3000 to $500 for e.g.

The Kluger is a 7 seater or 5 seater SUV, very similar to a Harrier..

cc2mss5

Reaction score
Dear all,

I got a white kluger when I am there last week. It's similar to Harrier.

Brief features:
- 7 seater
- last row is 40/60 split, useful for us. We got 4 adults, 2 kids. 1 adult sitting in last row with luggages just besides. Middle row has 2 car booster seats.
- cruise control
- tonneau cover to hide luggages when I parked in open places

Hertz rental fees of aud451 for 7 days. Collect on Monday night and return nx Monday afternoon

kenne79

Reaction score

Brief features:
- 7 seater
- last row is 40/60 split, useful for us. We got 4 adults, 2 kids. 1 adult sitting in last row with luggages just besides. Middle row has 2 car booster seats.
- cruise control

Hertz rental fees of aud451 for 7 days. Collect on Monday night and return nx Monday afternoon

Hi

Can fit 4 luggages with one adult at last row?

HUGO15481

Reaction score

Brief features:
- 7 seater
- cruise control

How is the fuel consumption like?

AUD451 inclusive of excess and additional driver?

cc2mss5

Reaction score
Hi

Can fit 4 luggages with one adult at last row?

I fit 2 32inch luggages. 2 24in and 2 20in. If 4 32in luggages, might be risky. I will take the Carnival or equivalent 8 seater

Fuel consumption abt 9.5km per litre
I travel quite a fair bit. Abt 1400km in 7 days. As the saying goes, fuel consumption depends on how heavy ur foot is

Aud450 is without excess reduction. I bought the tripcover, about aud80, though there is another choice now

Brought 2 booster seats from Singapore. I passed to the Hertz staff when returning car

Last edited:

Quasar

Reaction score
Brought 2 booster seats from Singapore. I passed to the Hertz staff when returning car

Bringing your own seats is a good idea, however most of the seats sold here are technically not allowed to be used on Australian roads. They have their own certification and standards separate from the US and EU ones.

SBS2716G

Master Member
Reaction score
Just a small update on the fuel consumption of the SUV for Hertz.

we gotten a Toyota Rav 4 and Hyundai Tuscon (both under the SUV cat) in our recent trip to Perth.
both drove similar distance (and to similar place) with mixed of highway and small roads (around 70 % on highway/freeway at speed of 100-110km/hr)

Tuscon consumption is around 7.7l/100km while Rav 4 is around 8.7l/100km.
Tuscon is 2.0L while Rav 4 is 2.5L.

gohjlb

Reaction score
anyone know which one is better for rental car at airport for price and quality of car?

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
anyone know which one is better for rental car at airport for price and quality of car?

For me, it's much of a muchness between the major companies. I usually go with Hertz and Europcar, mostly due to having some non-public promo codes that I can access.

HUGO15481

Reaction score

Brief features:
- 7 seater
- cruise control

Do you have a photo of the interior view?

I have booked mine from Hertz too and am just curious of the interior of the car.

dxrockzy

Reaction score
I fit 2 32inch luggages. 2 24in and 2 20in. If 4 32in luggages, might be risky. I will take the Carnival or equivalent 8 seater

Fuel consumption abt 9.5km per litre
I travel quite a fair bit. Abt 1400km in 7 days. As the saying goes, fuel consumption depends on how heavy ur foot is

Aud450 is without excess reduction. I bought the tripcover, about aud80, though there is another choice now

Hi,

I still at a fix between kia carnival or toyota kluger hertz.
Do you think kluger can fit in 5 adult (normal size), 3 28inch luggage and 2 cabin luggage?

Can the middle seat sit comfortably for 3 adults?

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
Hi,

Do you think kluger can fit in 5 adult (normal size), 3 28inch luggage and 2 cabin luggage?

I haven't tried packing all that luggage into the kluger, but I think it should fit. Having said that, a carnival would be a much more comfortable option for the passengers (although drivers would most likely prefer the dynamics of the kluger).

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Kluger for driver, but carnival for passengers. You can try to book the 7 seater Kluger, so there's an option for the 3rd passenger to sit in the last row..

bluesurfer

Reaction score
hi guys, I have 5 adults plus 1 infant. assuming....every adult have 1 luggage plus baby have pram and other misc stuff. is kluger still ok?

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi guys, I have 5 adults plus 1 infant. assuming....every adult have 1 luggage plus baby have pram and other misc stuff. is kluger still ok?

Doubt you can fit 5 luggage with pram with 6 seats up, you probably need a carnival or iMAX equivalent

pclow59

Master Member
Reaction score
When we collected our car at Brisbane airport for my recent trip, we were told by the staff that it is an offense to put luggage on the passenger seat, and if caught by Traffic Police will get a fine of $1000+, is it true ? Or just for Queensland?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.