Sydney

kevin301

Reaction score
hey.. this is my rough itinerary for sydney..

Fri (will land in Sydney by 1pm)

- won't be able to check in to my airbnb at redfern till 6pm, anything i can do?
- head to my airbnb accomodation
- paddy's markets haymarket
- chinatown fri night market

Sat

- sydney sights free walking tour at 1030am
- paddington market
- explore the rocks area
- fireworks at darling harbour
- i guess i can squeeze in more things?

what do you guys think of this?

any other things that you will suggest or change?

thanks!

If you're travelling with quite a lot of luggage, and you are not renting a car or anything, then you'll have to think of what to do with your luggage whilst you roam around.
Why not go for the ferry ride to Manly in the late afternoon? :)
Alternatively you can try depositing your luggage somewhere around Central station (I think there are lockers there, or nearby YHA etc). That will free up your load and you can explore Circular Quay and nearby Royal Botanical Gardens.

The sunset view from Mrs Macquarie's Chair is not bad! :)
14622849234_4a89015498_n.jpg

I'm not sure what the attraction with Chinatown is for someone coming from an Asian city like Singapore :)
Don't we have a Chinatown as well? ;)

Last edited:

sendohadr

Master Member
Reaction score
My itinerary as below. Any places die die must go?

Wed 23 Sept 2015

3:00 PM Lunch at Broadway
Walk along Circular Quay towards Sydney Habour
5:00 PM Walk on Sydney Harbour Bridge
6:00 PM Go Chinatown, Dixon Street
7:30 PM Dinner at Chinatown

Thursday, 24th September 2015
9.30 AM Go Bourke Street Bakery at Surry Hills for our breakfast!
2:00 PM
4:00 PM Pancake On The Rocks at Darling Harbour - FAMOUS PANCAKES!!!
6:00 PM Go Sydney Tower Eye
7:30 PM Dinner at Paddy's Market?

Friday, 25th September 2015
10:00 AM Sydney Fish Market!

Take the Sydney Light Rail from Central Station, Haymarket or Darling Harbour to the Fish Market stop which is located across the road from the Market. "
11:00 AM Lunch at Sydney Fish Market
1:30 PM ** Take train from Central station to Bondi station
Do some shopping at Westfield Bondi Junction
3:00 PM Stroll around Bondi Beach!

Saturday, 26th September 2015
7:30AM Blue Mountain"

Sunday, 27th September 2015

kevin301

Reaction score
Wed 23 Sept 2015

Any reason why you planned your wednesday itinerary in such a way? Broadway is fairly close to Chinatown, and pretty far from Circular Quay or the Harbour Bridge. Certainly I wouldn't recommend trying to walk from Broadway to Circular Quay. You wouldn't reach in time. Also from Circular Quay you can walk to the Rocks and underneath the south side of the Harbour Bridge. The view across the harbour is quite nice. Probably not necessary to walk ACROSS the bridge. It's a long way!

nlee84

Reaction score
Note that for Bourke Street Bakery at Surry Hills --> not many seating areas available.

If you are there on a weekend, suggest you take away and go to some nearby park to eat.. queue is long but fast moving.

We went to Bills on a Sunday around to take a queue number which is around 8mins away, then walked to Bourke Street Bakery to buy some pastries, ate them on the way back to Bills, just in time for our "real" breakfast!

We loved the sausage roll, croissant and chocolate chip cookie from Bourke Street Bakery. The ginger tart wasn't to our liking.

magna_strike

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My itinerary as below. Any places die die must go?

Wed 23 Sept 2015

Thursday, 24th September 2015
9.30 AM Go Bourke Street Bakery at Surry Hills for our breakfast!
2:00 PM
4:00 PM Pancake On The Rocks at Darling Harbour - FAMOUS PANCAKES!!!
6:00 PM Go Sydney Tower Eye
7:30 PM Dinner at Paddy's Market?

Friday, 25th September 2015
10:00 AM Sydney Fish Market!

Take the Sydney Light Rail from Central Station, Haymarket or Darling Harbour to the Fish Market stop which is located across the road from the Market. "
11:00 AM Lunch at Sydney Fish Market
1:30 PM ** Take train from Central station to Bondi station
Do some shopping at Westfield Bondi Junction
3:00 PM Stroll around Bondi Beach!

Saturday, 26th September 2015
7:30AM Blue Mountain"

Sunday, 27th September 2015

u could try adriano zumbo pattiserie at star city. St mary's cathedral is a pretty nice sight too. sep 24 maybe u can squeeze in a ferry ride to watsons bay and stroll around the area? and 27th if u are feeling adventurous, you could go and search for the floating forest at homebush bay near olympic park?

LoUsyGamER

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If i visit the national parks in Tasmania, should i skip Blue mountain and stay in Sydney city?

Last edited:

kevin301

Reaction score
If i visit the national parks in Tasmania, should i skip Blue mountain and stay in Sydney city?

I've not been to Tasmania but I've heard the scenery is pretty spectacular.
If you're not keen to see too much natural landscapes in 1 holiday trip, I guess you could skip the Blue Mountains.
The 2 places are different and it would be hard to compare them (which is better, etc).
Ultimately down to preference.

YYS1995

Reaction score
Anyone visited the Jenolan Caves ah. Currently planning 2 day 1 night @ Blue Mountains for Scenic World, Trek + Leura Village. If I wanna add Jenolan Caves I'll have to stay another night, are the caves worth it?

jason910

Master Member
Reaction score
Is there any other mode of transport beside cable car to reach the top of blue mountain?

Thanks

kevin301

Reaction score
Anyone visited the Jenolan Caves ah. Currently planning 2 day 1 night @ Blue Mountains for Scenic World, Trek + Leura Village. If I wanna add Jenolan Caves I'll have to stay another night, are the caves worth it?

They're quite touristy, so they've installed fancy lighting and audio system. Go if you like the "artificially-enhanced nature" ;)
It's quite a sight.
2D1N is quite nice for Blue Mountains. More relaxing than a hectic day trip.

kevin301

Reaction score
Is there any other mode of transport beside cable car to reach the top of blue mountain?

Thanks

Not sure what you're referring to by "top of blue mountain".
Care to elaborate?
Are you referring to Katoomba, Leura, Lithgow, or somewhere else?

Teox90

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all , if go sydney for one day blue mountain tour any good tour to recommend?

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
Hi all , if go sydney for one day blue mountain tour any good tour to recommend?

Haven't tried any myself, but a few companies get excellent reviews on tripadvisor. However, at $1xx per pax, it's hardly value for money if you have at least 2 pax. (The price is enough to scare me off). It usually works out cheaper if you hire a car for the day and drive yourself (it's not a difficult drive).

Basically, pretty much all tours follow the standard route of a wildlife park in Sydney (not that interesting), the olympic park (it's now a white elephant and 16 years old), and up in the mountains, the 3 Sisters, Scenic Sorld, and Leura village. On the way back, some of them drop you off at Parramatta to catch a ferry back to the city (which also isn't that interesting). You can easily recreate it yourself, but it would be a much better trip if you can drive yourself, spend the whole day at the mountains, picking up some of the essential tourist spots and some non-tourist spots that are a lot of scenic.

Another alternative is to go there via commuter trains. Frequent trains run from Sydney Central, and a lot of places can be reached by walking from the train stations. (Although Katoomba is a bit bigger, and quite a few like to use bus 686 when they get there - runs roughly half hourly).

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

the tour packages to blue mountains are mostly the same. in fact, i think they are run buy the same few operators. only difference is who u book from and how much it cost. when i went, the minivan went to pick up ppl from various locations, and i noticed that some of them paid different amount for the tour.

my tour package is like wat Awesom Andy mentioned. wildlife park, then blue mountain, then Olympic park and ferry back to city. the Olympic park is a complete waste of time, but i found the ferry quite nice actually.
it is a good way to see many things within a day if u are in a rush. but like all tour packages, it is a touch-and-go kind of trip.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you don't intend to drive, just take a train to blue mountains, spend a night there, do some walks around that area.

For ferries, just take their public ferries and you can go various places around the harbour area.

Definitely cheaper than going for tours, just requires some planning and it's free and easy.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.