HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Sydney

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #31

Yup. Going back to Sydney as I have already booked the hotel.

Not necessary to go all the way to Wollongong, just wish to experience driving along Grand Pacific Drive and tge scenic places along the way.
Wollongong is realistically achievable before last light (about 7:30pm), if you reach the start of grand pacific drive, ie the start national park by noon or maybe even after lunch. It's advisable to have lunch or brunch before you head into scenic drive. It'll be another hour or two before you reach a small town where you can find food. You can stop along the lookouts (brown signages), take a few 5-10 mins of short hiking trails.

It's flexible, if you intend to break off earlier back to Sydney you can do so, there's no need to push to Wollongong. There're roads leading back to the highway from the coastal road. If you've more time, you can push to Kiama. Quite flexible anyway. But I think the climax of the pacific drive is the sea cliff bridge portion overlooking the Pacific and maybe one or two beaches after that. After a while, it looks all the same. If you're a forest kind of person, the National Park drive is quite pretty also.

The road back to Sydney is a 2+2 lane highway 110 km/hr speed limit. Easy drive. So take your time with the coastal drive.

Oh yes, have dinner near Wollongong or surrounds, before you head back Sydney. You may not be able to find food easily after a certain time.

That's assuming you're "the middle of the road" kind of traveller: not the extreme super tasked oriented, stop, click camera and buy tee shirt and off you go kind. And not the sit down, breath fresh air, read book and practice yoga kind.

Think on your way to airport and 8 hrs flight, just do some read up. They've a dedicated website site for that.

Royal National Park | Routes & Maps | Grand Pacific Drive
fantas1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #32

The area near the Sea Bridge is quite nice

Generally the road is quite pleasant and scenic to drive (especially compared to 'boring' Singapore roads) for several hundred kilometres further south, so realistically you can't hope to go that far and make it back to Sydney by night.
kevin301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:48 AM   #33
Supremacy Member

Actually you can just explore the towns around Sydney, better than fly to Melbourne and feel rushed.

Lots of coastal towns, skiing at the snowy mountains, wine country to the north, cheese and ice-cream making in the south, mining towns to the far west, limestone caves in the blue mountains area, etc.
Tried doing some homework on this... now I am torn inbetween my options.. luckily i still got a long time to plan
Old 13-10-2014, 10:44 PM   #34

Sydney

Hi there,
I have similar trip, 5 days in Melbourne (visit GOR, Philip Island and Varra Valley) and another 5 days in Sydney. I need some recommendation for my Sydney trip on day 5 & 6.
Day 1 (Tue) & 2 (Wed): Sydney city and stay at Sydney
Day 3: Morning pick up rental car and drive to Jenolan Cave (accomdation at Katoomba)
Day 4: Blue Mountain (accom. at Katoomba)
Day 5: Any intertesting place around Katooma to visit? I can change accomdation accordingly.
Day 6 (Sun): Evening 7pm flight to Singapore.

Thanks
Kah

Last edited by kah kah; 13-10-2014 at 10:59 PM..
kah kah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 10:54 PM   #35

Is Jervis Bay worth going? Is it only for dolphin or whale watching? Any specified time for the cruise? Any other things to do there?
Jench1745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #36

I booked local tours in Sydney coz got 1 for 1 promotion.
1. Port Stephens Dolphin Watcher and sand boarding
2. Blue Mountains & Jenolan Caves
3. Morning Sydney City Tour with Bondi Beach

Too bad no whale watching in Dec...

from misa tours (local). go check out their site.

Last edited by ktee; 14-10-2014 at 08:22 AM..
ktee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 09:28 AM   #37

Tried doing some homework on this... now I am torn inbetween my options.. luckily i still got a long time to plan
always fun to plan for holidays Something to look forward to. Feel free to ask if you need a 2nd opinion.
Old 14-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #38

Is Jervis Bay worth going? Is it only for dolphin or whale watching? Any specified time for the cruise? Any other things to do there?
Have passed through Jervis Bay a few times enroute further south. Have not gone on a dolphin or whale watching cruise

The sand is amazingly white.
Mostly I just chill and take photos. Amazing seascapes around there.
Old 14-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #39
Supremacy Member

I managed to find a website for pretty good deal on hotels. just that not many hotels listed. Booked shangri-la at about 250sgd a night for sydney.. choose harbour view and its even cheaper

My referral link is (yes my shameless link to help me earn points if you book via that website as well, but hey u get a $35 voucher too)
Referral link

Non-referral link

Last edited by killachicken; 14-10-2014 at 05:08 PM..
killachicken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 11:09 PM   #40
Arch-Supremacy Member

I managed to find a website for pretty good deal on hotels. just that not many hotels listed. Booked shangri-la at about 250sgd a night for sydney.. choose harbour view and its even cheaper

My referral link is (yes my shameless link to help me earn points if you book via that website as well, but hey u get a $35 voucher too)
Referral link

Non-referral link
you use travelpony haha ....
that time they give 20usd voucher when they first started haha ...
now their promo voucher like nt that good
one point good is that they can be used for international chains hotels
if u willing to spend on those 5 stars hotel, can try their sites
dede1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #41

Referral link

Non-referral link

At less than S$250/night for Shangri La, it is a good price indeed
Old 15-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #42
Arch-Supremacy Member

At less than S$250/night for Shangri La, it is a good price indeed
yup agree! Anyway is that USD ? not sgd ? coz travelpony uses USD ...
Old 15-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #43
Arch-Supremacy Member

haha didnt know can use both promo ... thank you learned something new
Old 15-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #44
Supremacy Member

Its USD. but after conversion is jus a couple of dollars over 1k.

so it makes $250 per night. very worth. the girlfriend is gonna be happy.. cos I always cheap out on hotels.. hahahaha
Old 15-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #45
Arch-Supremacy Member

Its USD. but after conversion is jus a couple of dollars over 1k.

so it makes $250 per night. very worth. the girlfriend is gonna be happy.. cos I always cheap out on hotels.. hahahaha
haha my budget not so high. one night below 95 sgd two pax . So normally would look for cheaper choices haha daily check out hotel prices. sydney stayed aspire 3.5 stars 77sgd one night with bath tub and standing shower ... haha.... took me 2mths to wait such deals ...
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.