HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Traffic Offence in Aust

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #1

Traffic Offence in Aust

hi, i just received a traffic notice from VIC police speeding.. and dam it .. they are imposing a fine of AUD124 for the offence (86km/hr, speed limit is 80km/hr)..

anyone know if we can appeal for this? cant seem to find the website to this.. i will be heading back there again sometime next yr.. dont wanna to risk getting banned from entering Vic .. haha

any advise..
Cheepoozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #2

AUD 124 is cheap. My daughter was caught in may 2010 for beating the red light A$300 - very expensive. Cheers.
kweklj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #3

What would the grounds for your appeal be?

Ordinarily with a fine for a summary offence, you cannot appeal the fine itself, but you can elect not to pay it and have the matter heard in court instead, which is where you can explain any exusing circumstances.

A reasonable excuse might be that you were, say, driving to a hospital emercency department for a life-threatening medical issue (i.e., something that is more of a threat to life than your speeding offense was), with some evidence to back it up.

If your grounds for appeal is based on ignorance, not having the money, etc, I would say don't bother.
shirtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 09:52 PM   #4

why appeal when you have committed the offence? furthermore it's not singapore. just pay up.
grapefruitjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 10:10 PM   #5

why appeal when you have committed the offence? furthermore it's not singapore. just pay up.
i would have glady paid up i had commited the offence knowingly..
It so happen that stretch of road in Geelong is dam bloody dark.. and not well lighted up.. neither were there clear warning of speed limits....

if i were travelling 80++kmph in KPE, i would gladly pay up the speeding fine cus it is so dam clear to ALL motorist that the speed limit is 70Kmph.
Old 25-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

Aus is quite strict. even if you don't clear the bills, electric, mobile, etc, ... you may face issues/complications at immigration
Old 25-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

Received this from the car rental.

"Please be advised that the reason for the charge of $38.50AUD onto your credit card relates to a speeding fine that ***car received and processed a Statutory Declaration/ Nomination with your details back to Victoria Police. hey will reissue this to you in your name at your address."

Does this mean that the amount charged was already the fine or isn't just the admin fee from the car rental? Will I receive another fine from the Vic Police?

Thanks
most likely an admin/processing fee that the car rental charge for directing the vic police to you.
Old 25-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #8

Basically, the car is owned by the car rental company, so the speeding ticket is sent to them. When the said company received it, they informed the police of your information, and that you were the one driving the car at the time of the offense. They have also charged you $38.50 for the trouble.

After that, the Vic police will send you the speeding fine, which you'll have to pay to the police, or elect to go to court over the matter.

That is, you'll have to pay the admin fee to the car rental company, on top of the speeding fine to the police.
Awesom Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
Banned

next time becareful of cars parked by the side of the roads and keep speed to max 3km/hr above speed limit
HPY090909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 04:57 AM   #10

I guess im very heng.. I sped quite alot during my few days drive there. GOR can go up to 160
hypertrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #11

I guess im very heng.. I sped quite alot during my few days drive there. GOR can go up to 160
Only 160? You should be able to get close to 200 (assuming car is capable). Although, at this speed, you better: 1. not get caught, and, 2. don't hit anything or drive off the road and landing into the rocks below (which is, arguably, deserved for being that silly).
Awesom Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:17 PM   #12

"Please be advised that the reason for the charge of $38.50AUD onto your credit card relates to a speeding fine that ***car received and processed a Statutory Declaration/ Nomination with your details back to Victoria Police. hey will reissue this to you in your name at your address."

Does this mean that the amount charged was already the fine or isn't just the admin fee from the car rental? Will I receive another fine from the Vic Police?

Thanks

Thanks
I didn't pay at all. Sending reminders for a few mths. As for admin fee . I hv a habit of reporting "loss" my credit card when ever back from overseas trip. Car rental can't charge to a cancelled card right
Old 10-08-2011, 12:13 AM   #13

BF's studying in VIC as well.. hit a fine.. I was also previously in AUS when i rented a car i hit the toll roads without etag and got fined.. Best advice is to pay it off or you'll have problems at immigration in future. You will also be black listed at the car rental.

I doubt you will be able to appeal. They are very strict with speed limits in Australia. Best to pay the fine and avoid getting it compounded and pay more
Evielicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:04 AM   #14
Arch-Supremacy Member

I didn't pay at all. Sending reminders for a few mths. As for admin fee . I hv a habit of reporting "loss" my credit card when ever back from overseas trip. Car rental can't charge to a cancelled card right
you will prob have problems applying for a visa to enter Australia in the future.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #15

how true? i believed their systems are not link inter state? i was still renting a car in Perth in May this yr.. visa didnt apply as still valid from last yr.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.