What's the rate for tipping in Australia ?

tt32003

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it standard 10% ?

For all meals ?

In any eateries where service is provided including small cafes etc ?

So in fast food joints, food court etc no need to tip ?

Or eating places in theme parks ?

What about cab drivers ?

Also 10% ?

And is it compulsory to tip the hotel cleaning crew daily if staying in same room for a few days ?

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I guess if someone serves you then tip lo.

Food court no serve you leh, you serve yourself

punggolkid

Reaction score
In restaurants, I don't usually tip, but if I think they deserve it, I round the bill to the nearest $5 and leave the change.

tt32003

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm from some research I did on the net, it seems tipping is not compulsory and expected in Australia becos they say they pay the hospitality staff very well.

Australians seem to say no need to tip despite most of the travel guidebooks like Frodor and Frommens telling you to tip.

The last time I went to Australia was many years ago and i remembered I did tip in restaurant and even cab drivers.

Have things changed since then ?

Or just because last time don't have such infos on the net ?

bobbly

Reaction score
Hmm from some research I did on the net, it seems tipping is not compulsory and expected in Australia becos they say they pay the hospitality staff very well.

Thats correct.

Australia has very high service costs so the tip amount is already factored into the bill you pay.

The minimum wage is very high and they have penalty rates employees receive when working unusual hours in many cases eg weekends.

Australians know this and almost never tip and it is not expected unless they think you are a niave tourist.

If you receive exceptional service you have already paid for it.

hotstuff4u

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
I tip all the time when I go restaurants to eat...

I dun tip at KFC or small eatery

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.