Aurora in Hobart

fiolsn

Reaction score
Any one witness aurora in hobart during winter before? mind to share?

cormet

Reaction score
I went to try to see but its tough because we're moving everyday. I guess if you really want to see one you can camp for one. There's a FB group for the auroras in Tasmania which you can join, they post weather and activity reports.

alpc

Reaction score
The FB group is the best source of when aurora sighting could be a possibility. I have not had the chance to witness the Southern Lights as yet (based in Hobart for 3 days during a trip to Tassie).

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any one witness aurora in hobart during winter before? mind to share?

I wouldn't bank on it, not least because the weather in Hobart in the winter is miserable - cold and rainy and frequently overcast, so you'll be fighting the clouds.

I grew up in southern NSW and saw aurorae once in twenty years. Hobart's a few degrees further south, but it's still not far enough south that aurorae would be particularly common. It's the curse of the southern hemisphere - we don't have enough landmass down in the zones around 60 degrees south where aurorae are most common.

Here's a nifty map from NOAA of the auroral oval - you can see that right now it's barely even outside Antarctica.

If you want aurorae, head to Juneau or Reykjavik or Oslo or somewhere.

alpc

Reaction score
If you want aurorae, head to Juneau or Reykjavik or Oslo or somewhere.

That's Northern Lights. Those seen in the Southern Hemisphere is Southern Lights - a bit different! But, yes they are all auroras.

Having said that, it is true it's easier to catch Northern Lights than Southern Lights, since there are a lot of land mass around the 66deg north (or higher) than there are any land mass at 66 deg south (or higher).

But it would be great (or as some would say, perfect) to be able to catch both Northern and Southern Lights in your lifetime - of course, if you like such stuff.

fiolsn

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice mate.. i've been to Reykjavik 2 yrs ago to catch the northern lights but no luck to see any.. it happens that im going aus during coming winter.. but seems chances are slim to see in Hobart too.. :(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.