HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

AsRock Z97m Pro 4 having slight malfunctions.

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By ValorZeroAdvent
  • 1 Post By idjekyll
  • 1 Post By AverTek
  • 1 Post By xonix
  • 1 Post By xonix

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-05-2017, 06:39 PM   #1

AsRock Z97m Pro 4 having slight malfunctions.

Right now, I'm typing on this machine and it seems to be fine. The problem now is that I have discovered that this machine switched itself on without me pressing the power button at least 4 times now.

I also just discovered that I can no longer access the uefi bios through pressing del before booting. I only have fast boot enabled. Pressing del to access bios used to work, so I have no idea what happened.

In view of these issues, I think the motherboard is slowly dying on me, so I think I may need to bring the motherboard back. Problem is, I forgot to register for warranty when I bought the machine new 2 years ago. Would I be screwed or would I still be fine? I still have a digital copy of the invoice when I bought it new. Thanks for your assistance.
~Dragonite~ likes this.

Last edited by ValorZeroAdvent; 26-05-2017 at 06:46 PM..
ValorZeroAdvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 09:55 PM   #2

try resitting the cmos battery.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
idjekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 12:13 PM   #3
Hardware Clinic & Apple Clinic

Right now, I'm typing on this machine and it seems to be fine. The problem now is that I have discovered that this machine switched itself on without me pressing the power button at least 4 times now.

I also just discovered that I can no longer access the uefi bios through pressing del before booting. I only have fast boot enabled. Pressing del to access bios used to work, so I have no idea what happened.

In view of these issues, I think the motherboard is slowly dying on me, so I think I may need to bring the motherboard back. Problem is, I forgot to register for warranty when I bought the machine new 2 years ago. Would I be screwed or would I still be fine? I still have a digital copy of the invoice when I bought it new. Thanks for your assistance.
Hi ValorZeroAdvent,

PM'ed you.

Best Regards,
K
~Dragonite~ likes this.

Contact Us
AverTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #4

try resitting the cmos battery.
Just done that, I would have to see how the system would react in a couple of days.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:22 AM   #5

I just discovered something quite peculiar. When I plugged a three way power extension to the wall outlet the problems I had with the motherboard went away. I could access BIOS with Fast Boot enabled and the general instability of the rig seems to have disappeared. The computer no longer powers on from standby power without warning. I also plugged in what I believed to be a dead graphics card back when it appeared to start being faulty and it worked.

All the problems, fixed by plugging an electrical adapter. I honestly don't understand what went wrong in the computer. I suspect the actual problem is with the power supply unit. Coincidentally, I have a Silverstone Strider Gold 550W powering the whole system, which is covered by Avertek as well. Should I send the PSU unit to check if it is faulty? I honestly doubt it is faulty because I only bought it brand new 6 months ago.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:52 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

I just discovered something quite peculiar. When I plugged a three way power extension to the wall outlet the problems I had with the motherboard went away. I could access BIOS with Fast Boot enabled and the general instability of the rig seems to have disappeared. The computer no longer powers on from standby power without warning. I also plugged in what I believed to be a dead graphics card back when it appeared to start being faulty and it worked.

All the problems, fixed by plugging an electrical adapter. I honestly don't understand what went wrong in the computer. I suspect the actual problem is with the power supply unit. Coincidentally, I have a Silverstone Strider Gold 550W powering the whole system, which is covered by Avertek as well. Should I send the PSU unit to check if it is faulty? I honestly doubt it is faulty because I only bought it brand new 6 months ago.
What do you mean ?

Before: PC power cord direct to wall outlet ?
vs
Now: PC power cord to 3 way extension to wall outlet ?
~Dragonite~ likes this.
xonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:19 AM   #7

What do you mean ?

Before: PC power cord direct to wall outlet ?
vs
Now: PC power cord to 3 way extension to wall outlet ?
Yes, you're correct.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:34 PM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yes, you're correct.
Continue to monitor bah..could be power supply.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
xonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:29 PM   #9

A quick update, computer powered down abruptly while I was playing Overwatch and now it wouldn't turn on, at least not at the moment.

edit - Computer powers on. Checked the power plug, made sure it was plugged in tight, and it powered on. At this point I don't even know if all the problems I had was because of a loose plug. Embarrassing.
~Dragonite~ likes this.

Last edited by ValorZeroAdvent; 08-06-2017 at 11:47 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.