Amazon now allows the purchase of ebooks in Singapore?

jeffyen2

Reaction score
Cannot buy now. Error says kindle edition not available in SG. I still have my previous purchases in read.amazon.com.

Interesting... I just heard of another case today...

AnimeNewbie, were you able to see the book during search? But not able to buy when you click 'buy now'?

Last edited:

AnimeNewbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Interesting... I just heard of another case today...

AnimeNewbie, were you able to see the book during search? But not able to buy when you click 'buy now'?

I received ad email from Amazon today. So excitedly want to buy the book and click to view webpage and click to buy with 1 click, then say not available in SG and tell me that I am able to buy if I update my country. Need to migrate to buy ebooks! :eek:

If I cannot buy, why bother send me the email and the kindle ebook link?

Layers

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I received ad email from Amazon today. So excitedly want to buy the book and click to view webpage and click to buy with 1 click, then say not available in SG and tell me that I am able to buy if I update my country. Need to migrate to buy ebooks! :eek:

I tot as long u have a US address, u could buy the ebook? I use my Borderlinx US address.

jeffyen2

Reaction score

It's just an automated ad... the different depts aren't so integrated...

AnimeNewbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good news!

Can buy again! :D I almost felt like an idiot clicking the same ebook link in the weekly email. To my surprise, the link works in today's email. Just read my newly bought ebook in the cloud reader. Perservance prevails in the end.

jeffyen2

Reaction score
Can buy again! :D I almost felt like an idiot clicking the same ebook link in the weekly email. To my surprise, the link works in today's email. Just read my newly bought ebook in the cloud reader. Perservance prevails in the end.

Could I ask how you paid for the book? Local credit card?

AnimeNewbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I bought with the 1 click buy. I stored my local credit card with SG billing address in Amazon. Maybe it have to do with book not available in SG. I cannot find the book on kino website and NLB.

Last edited:

jeffyen2

Reaction score
I bought with the 1 click buy. I stored my local credit card with SG billing address in Amazon. Maybe it have to do with book not available in SG. I cannot find the book on kino website and NLB.

Thanks for this information, they may have reverted what they reverted a while ago! I'll try it myself soon...

wwng16

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i buys gift cards with 50 usd value and then i purchase the ebooks i wanted via one click option. Nv have any issues b4.

keanteac

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
US don't want Singaporean to read book ?
Want Singaporean illiterate ? :s11::s11::s11:

twocottoncandy

Reaction score
I can purchase books from the kindle store on my kindle now. After purchase, the book will be directly downloaded to my kindle device. Paid with my local Manhattan card and local billing address Leh?

Layers

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
good to hear that sg can buy ebook from amazon

I strangely encounter an ebook that I can't buy with a US address but Sg address allow it

BlitzStryker

Master Member
Reaction score
There's a local Qoo10 seller selling 8000 ebooks and Kindle protective pouch at 20.

reyreina

Reaction score
There's a local Qoo10 seller selling 8000 ebooks and Kindle protective pouch at 20.

got to see the book list, and the file format. if it's open source books, then there are hundreds of thousands of them. even amazon sell free books, which is usually deemed unethical. if it's from NYT top charts, then hopefully they don't get into trouble. i'll say most who don't pay much for books already pirate them from somewhere.

anyway back to tis thread's topic.

i don't see why there are conflicting experiences to buying Amazon kindle books here, pretty sure if it is due to the different buying methods. if possible, we should have a FAQ pinned up here focusing only on buying Amazon kindle books.

there's the comprehensive (yet clear and simple) guide on Jeff's blog. in short, it is best to pay for books using Amazon gift cards, so check it out how to buy one. you "charge up" your Amazon.com gift balance from the purchased card, then pay for anything (ebooks) you want using your gift balance. Note that gift cards are no longer only in physical form, you can buy one from Amazon.com, pay with your bank credit/debit and opt for an virtual code.

if you have to, or prefer to pay by debit/credit card, i.e. not by deducting gift balance, then there *will* be issues. Amazon adheres to publishing laws, so depending on your Amazon.com mailing address, your payment card billing address, or your IP address (accessing from your browser), it could mean the book has no check out option. This explains the many "tricks" said by many here.

IMO, Amazon can never have ALL Kindle ebooks be sold in all countries (Singapore), publishing agreements. e.g. check out this 2 books: Top Secret Twenty-One: A Stephanie Plum Novel - Kindle edition by Janet Evanovich. Romance Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com. and Amazon.com: Top Secret Twenty-One (Stephanie Plum) eBook: Janet Evanovich: Kindle Store funny isn't it?

and a table (from 4 years back) of books officially sold in different countries:
http://blogkindle.com/2009/10/international-release-of-kindle-2/

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I actually have a kindle but I still buy books even if they are epub

Pity that ilovebooks store from mediacorp closed down.

I used to have Neil_Humphreys Notes from Singapore books as a hardcopy before I moved house.

I bought the soft copy of these books on the ilovebooks and removed the drm from the epub and converted to mobi format before transfering to my kindle.

Kindle is just a machine to read the books on. Granted they are extra features such as xray but really all i need is the dictionary and chaptering features on the book and the backlight helps tremendously too.

regularfries

Master Member
Reaction score
US don't want Singaporean to read book ?
Want Singaporean illiterate ? :s11::s11::s11:

From what I understand it's because of how distribution rights for books are often negotiated on a regional basis. Similar reason as to why Netflix is not available in Singapore.

Sg just to small for them to bother negotiating a deal.

Anyway, there's a guide here on how you can purchase books from Amazon in Singapore.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.