HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Amazon now allows the purchase of ebooks in Singapore?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #31
Arch-Supremacy Member

i buys gift cards with 50 usd value and then i purchase the ebooks i wanted via one click option. Nv have any issues b4.
wwng16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 02:02 PM   #32
Arch-Supremacy Member

US don't want Singaporean to read book ?
Want Singaporean illiterate ?

I received ad email from Amazon today. So excitedly want to buy the book and click to view webpage and click to buy with 1 click, then say not available in SG and tell me that I am able to buy if I update my country. Need to migrate to buy ebooks!

If I cannot buy, why bother send me the email and the kindle ebook link?
keanteac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #33

It could be Asian publishers/subsidiaries don't want want Kindles to penetrate this market. No one really knows...
jeffyen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 01:26 PM   #34

so sad. n i was just thinking of buying the kindle
Old 30-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #35

I can purchase books from the kindle store on my kindle now. After purchase, the book will be directly downloaded to my kindle device. Paid with my local Manhattan card and local billing address Leh?
Old 30-11-2014, 10:48 PM   #36

so sad. n i was just thinking of buying the kindle
Not an issue if you research a little. There are thousands of Kindle users in Singapore...
jeffyen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #37
Arch-Supremacy Member

good to hear that sg can buy ebook from amazon

I strangely encounter an ebook that I can't buy with a US address but Sg address allow it
Layers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #38
Master Member

There's a local Qoo10 seller selling 8000 ebooks and Kindle protective pouch at 20.
BlitzStryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #39

There's a local Qoo10 seller selling 8000 ebooks and Kindle protective pouch at 20.
got to see the book list, and the file format. if it's open source books, then there are hundreds of thousands of them. even amazon sell free books, which is usually deemed unethical. if it's from NYT top charts, then hopefully they don't get into trouble. i'll say most who don't pay much for books already pirate them from somewhere.

anyway back to tis thread's topic.

i don't see why there are conflicting experiences to buying Amazon kindle books here, pretty sure if it is due to the different buying methods. if possible, we should have a FAQ pinned up here focusing only on buying Amazon kindle books.

there's the comprehensive (yet clear and simple) guide on Jeff's blog. in short, it is best to pay for books using Amazon gift cards, so check it out how to buy one. you "charge up" your Amazon.com gift balance from the purchased card, then pay for anything (ebooks) you want using your gift balance. Note that gift cards are no longer only in physical form, you can buy one from Amazon.com, pay with your bank credit/debit and opt for an virtual code.

if you have to, or prefer to pay by debit/credit card, i.e. not by deducting gift balance, then there *will* be issues. Amazon adheres to publishing laws, so depending on your Amazon.com mailing address, your payment card billing address, or your IP address (accessing from your browser), it could mean the book has no check out option. This explains the many "tricks" said by many here.

IMO, Amazon can never have ALL Kindle ebooks be sold in all countries (Singapore), publishing agreements. e.g. check out this 2 books: Top Secret Twenty-One: A Stephanie Plum Novel - Kindle edition by Janet Evanovich. Romance Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com. and Amazon.com: Top Secret Twenty-One (Stephanie Plum) eBook: Janet Evanovich: Kindle Store funny isn't it?

and a table (from 4 years back) of books officially sold in different countries:
http://blogkindle.com/2009/10/intern...e-of-kindle-2/
civicguy likes this.
reyreina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #40
Supremacy Member

I actually have a kindle but I still buy books even if they are epub

Pity that ilovebooks store from mediacorp closed down.

I used to have Neil_Humphreys Notes from Singapore books as a hardcopy before I moved house.

I bought the soft copy of these books on the ilovebooks and removed the drm from the epub and converted to mobi format before transfering to my kindle.

Kindle is just a machine to read the books on. Granted they are extra features such as xray but really all i need is the dictionary and chaptering features on the book and the backlight helps tremendously too.
Old 21-06-2015, 09:34 PM   #41
Master Member

From what I understand it's because of how distribution rights for books are often negotiated on a regional basis. Similar reason as to why Netflix is not available in Singapore.

Sg just to small for them to bother negotiating a deal.

Anyway, there's a guide here on how you can purchase books from Amazon in Singapore.
regularfries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2015, 11:03 PM   #42

just sign up a vpn service and you can buy.. then u can also at the same time watch netflix..

i use hma vpn as recommended by hwz bros here..
playnwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.