HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Is book depository the cheapest place to buy books?

Like Tree4Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #46
Arch-Supremacy Member

The slow shipping is probably due to Royal Post, and more recently, SingPost's slowness.

My seller shipped a cable out from Hong Kong on 4 Dec.
I have yet to receive it. I think SingPost lost it or screwed up somehow.
my shipment from HK, normal post on the 28th of dec reached me yesterday, so i think your parcel is MIA already
Old 13-01-2011, 02:28 AM   #47

Textbooks i get them second hand on eBay, receive them in around 2 weeks. cheapest prices for textbooks.. get them for SGD$10~30 for second hand
Self-help/business reading books/novels I get them from secondhandbooks
Some firsthand books I buy them at bookdepository if the price is worth it.. definitely cheaper than the bookstores. and free postage too.
Edit: Bookdepository takes 3 weeks~1 month for me. (around 4 weeks)
Edit: I just received my order from Bookdepository a few days ago. I ordered it on 14th Dec 2010. Orders take time to process, a normal order by Royalmail would take around 12~14 days (not working days) to arrive from UK/US. I received a textbook from eBay delivered from USA in about 10 days, and some from the UK in 15 days.

Last edited by zhirui84; 13-01-2011 at 02:38 AM..
zhirui84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #48

Do check both bookdepository.co.uk and bookdepository.com. Their prices are different.

I just ordered a book from .co.uk and later discovered it was US$14 more than the listed price on .com.

Their customer service is horrible. My simple question on the book cover took them 4 days to reply.
sugarfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #49

Just to update my issue...I took to Twitter to get replies from Bookdepository. And they are really quick on Twitter. They will be giving me a refund of the price difference. So now I'm back in the arms of Bookdepository. Will be more alert when I shop next time though.

So anyone having trouble getting whole of Bookdepository's CS, try Twitter.
Old 14-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #50

gosh! I never realised there is a difference between the .co.uk and the .com site!
and indeed, .com seems to be cheaper by a bit!
nightstalker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #51

Not true that .COM always cheaper than .CO.UK, this book is cheaper in the latter:

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book...ealing-Chakras

http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9...ealing-Chakras
insecure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #52

Cheapest doesn't usually get you the best service. Bookdepository may be cheap but tracking number is not available, and they ship using bubble envelope. It won't sustain knocks from UK to Singapore.

But if you don't mind damages, bends etc, and delays it can be a good source of books
tactical.genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 10:51 PM   #53

Honestly I haven't gotten any damaged books from Book Depository...*yet*. And the deliveries r predictably 2 weeks.

Still the best prices around...especially for hardbacks. My best buy so far is a leather bound copy of Chronicles of Narnia with cardboard sleeve. Postage was around S$30 and I paid only S$50+ for it. Don't think I can find that edition anywhere else for that price.
Old 21-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #54
Supremacy Member

i am able to get books at cheap prices...cheaper than what you can get online due to bulk orders...pm me if interested
bykte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #55
Master Member

it's cheaper than say, kino for manga! anyway i made a mistake with my order (wanted to put 10% disc code) but ended up making the whole txn, and i sent an email 4 days ago, but no reply as of yet.

does not look good to me. i hope my mangas arrive...
anumericalevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #56
Master Member

alrighty guys, i think most of the delays in delivery services nearing the end of the year is due to the higher volume of orders (christmas, new year, etc.), so it's expected to have delays.

i just got my manga delivered to me yesterday, exactly 2 weeks after the shipping date! it arrived unscathed and in perfect condition. im extremely pleased with my delivery and was so ecstatic, i sent them a letter of appreciation, lol. xD

pictures here:

A. The bubble-wrap envelope that keeps your book safe

B. The back view~

C. A peek inside!

D. Book in perfect condition with the order details sheet!

i'm just soooo happy with my purchase, and i still have more pre-orders to expect. im gonna order more non-mangas. i'll update with the pictures when they arrive.

oh btw, i ordered this on the 18th of Jan, it was shipped on the 20th of Jan and it arrived on the 3rd of Feb

it's cheaper than say, kino for manga! anyway i made a mistake with my order (wanted to put 10% disc code) but ended up making the whole txn, and i sent an email 4 days ago, but no reply as of yet.

does not look good to me. i hope my mangas arrive...
and as for this, they replied to me 9 days later with apologies and promptly refunded me the difference by crediting my bank account. lol.

Last edited by anumericalevil; 04-02-2011 at 02:01 PM..
Old 04-02-2011, 03:35 PM   #57
Supremacy Member

bookmarked.
evolute8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #58
Master Member

bookmarked.
a pun!!~
Old 08-02-2011, 08:13 AM   #59

10% discount code if anyone is interested, valid until the 14th

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/amex11?a_aid=code

You have to come via this link if you wish to use the coupon code (otherwise the box to enter the code wont appear).
Then just enter the code AMEX11 in the basket when you begin to checkout.
brefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #60

10% discount code if anyone is interested, valid until the 14th

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/amex11?a_aid=code

You have to come via this link if you wish to use the coupon code (otherwise the box to enter the code wont appear).
Then just enter the code AMEX11 in the basket when you begin to checkout.
Thank you for the kindness
mangomilkshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.