Future of Kinokuniya seems challenging.. - www.hardwarezone.com.sg

HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Future of Kinokuniya seems challenging..

Like Tree8Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-06-2016, 06:14 PM   #1
Supremacy Member

Future of Kinokuniya seems challenging..

Went to the Kinokuniya flagship store at Ngee Ann. Found that it has reduced its floor area, without reducing the bookshelves. The new layout is crammed and uncomfortable. The aisles between shelves are very narrow. It gave me a claustrophobic feeling and I just wanted to get out of the store after spending half an hour in it, which is unusual. I used to spend entire afternoons at the store.

I noticed that the number of shoppers are few and from my eyeball observation, no one has gone to the payment counter for long stretches of time.

Another disturbing thing: A shopper beside me took out his phone to take a photo of a book cover. He whispered to his friend that he should be able to find it on Amazon..

I bought a few books. My membership was expiring in a week, but the counter staff didn't ask me if I wanted to renew. I was a little surprised because Kino used to be pretty aggressive with asking customers to renew.

I feel that Kino has seen better days. I'm not so sure how long it's going to last. Anyone has the same feeling? It's the only decent book seller in Singapore. If it folds, we're really a book desert.

Last edited by hnzfaz; 16-06-2016 at 06:17 PM..
hnzfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 10:30 PM   #2

Probably because of the exorbitant rental as well.
SpringCleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

All go there read for free, why need to buy ?
keanteac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 01:12 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

I am not sure approximately what time you have gone to Kinokuniya.

Usually, there will be more people in the weekends / public holidays than in weekdays, and when there are 20% discounts for the members (or for the publics).

I know because I have observed this even when they were in 3rd storey.

Usually I will support them by buying Taiwanese (or Chinese) books, mangas from them (or order the books / magazines from Taiwan through them if Kinokuniya doesn't have them or out of stocks).

I also buy Japanese writing papers (in Stationery section) from Kinokuniya as well.

The other type of which I will support is buying books from local publishers.

Btw, Most of the books I read are Chinese books (Local / Taiwan or sometimes, China).
So I will get from Kinokuniya / Local Publishers.

Sometimes, I might buy from Popular as well.
You Cannot be No 1 in Everything But You Must Be No 1 in Something
Put Space & ' on Impossible To Become I'M Possible
PingJun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

However, I agree with you that the new layout is crammed.

Every time I go there, I need to figure out how to reach to English Magazine section from Chinese section / stationery section.
Old 17-06-2016, 04:49 PM   #6
Junior Moderator

Is Kino at Bugis still around? Need to find some stuff and I am looking for the store closest to me
EU超時任務 - 賀小美 | 殭 - Rosa 羅穎兒 | 一屋老友記 - 呂星晨 | 城寨英雄 - Audrey 柯德莉 | 幕後玩家 - Emma 葉燁 |
降魔的 - 貝貝娜

Official TVB Dramas Discussion Thread
List of your favourite shows
WTS/WTB your musical instruments and concert tics
Ottoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 11:13 PM   #7

They've certainly seen better days. Having been a part of the staff there a few years ago ive always enjoyed the selection of books and the environment. However presently, I am very upset with their selection of books in the arts department. Perhaps its' due to their staff. I remember working a great bunch over there who pride over bringing in plenty of books over a diverse range of topics and styles. Sadly these days, theyre only interested in bringing best sellers.
Old 19-06-2016, 09:34 PM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

Is Kino at Bugis still around? Need to find some stuff and I am looking for the store closest to me
Yes, still around.
Old 20-06-2016, 12:52 PM   #9

Went to the Kinokuniya flagship store at Ngee Ann. Found that it has reduced its floor area, without reducing the bookshelves. The new layout is crammed and uncomfortable. The aisles between shelves are very narrow. It gave me a claustrophobic feeling and I just wanted to get out of the store after spending half an hour in it, which is unusual. I used to spend entire afternoons at the store.

I noticed that the number of shoppers are few and from my eyeball observation, no one has gone to the payment counter for long stretches of time.

Another disturbing thing: A shopper beside me took out his phone to take a photo of a book cover. He whispered to his friend that he should be able to find it on Amazon..

I bought a few books. My membership was expiring in a week, but the counter staff didn't ask me if I wanted to renew. I was a little surprised because Kino used to be pretty aggressive with asking customers to renew.

I feel that Kino has seen better days. I'm not so sure how long it's going to last. Anyone has the same feeling? It's the only decent book seller in Singapore. If it folds, we're really a book desert.
theses day, ppl buy online. Brick n mortar shops r finished.
Miche7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 05:50 PM   #10
Master Member

Yes, still around.
Selection at Bugis is not as comprehensive as the one at Taka.
Old 20-06-2016, 05:50 PM   #11
Master Member

All go there read for free, why need to buy ?
I used to go there to buy books and at the same time read Football and WWE magazines.
Old 20-06-2016, 05:52 PM   #12
Master Member

I agree. I too am not comfortable with the new layout.

There was a couple of occasions where I need the staff's assistance to direct me to the main entrance. The passage way seems convoluted.
Old 20-06-2016, 11:19 PM   #13

recently went to kino @ bugis to buy some books, found out there were a big crowd of people beside the shelves reading the book. There was no queue at the counter. Gone are day whereby people buy book anymore. :'(
w3ird0lol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 11:28 PM   #14
Arch-Supremacy Member

Actually, I do buy from them.

As explained earlier, I read Chinese books (Locals / Taiwanese / China).

So if I order from Taiwan, after the shipping cost, the cost is about a few dollars difference. Plus I can get discount (I have member card), so it is not a difference to me.
Old 20-06-2016, 11:30 PM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

BTW, Kinokuniya is having members sales until this Sun.

20% discount for books & selected magazines for members.

The sales are applicable for all branches.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.