Anyone Driving WRX Right now?

allanh41

Reaction score
Maintenance on the high side also. Especially when timing belt due for replacement

Reaction score
Good car but petrol consumption on the high side.

Actually FC not really important to me cause the car will be used for weekend only. I will still be taking bus to work because ERP/parking in CBD is way too high. lol......

I am only worried about reliability or known failures thats super expensive to repair (eg. Lancer SST gearbox or VW DSG). I will only take the manual one.

allanh41

Reaction score
The car generally is quite sturdy if it is unmodded. Just watch out what the previous owner did to it.

Oil leaks, radiator, aircon compressor, bushings, Ball joints, timing belt may need to be checked and replaced, but this is common for all Japanese cars more than 150k in mileage.

HotSpring

Reaction score
Better to get one from a trusted direct seller if you intend to renew coe. Good to know the history, parts changed and if it's truly stock or the owner anyhow dekit.

I drove one from brand new till scrap (MY05 version). These are some of the parts that broke during its lifespan:

Power steering rack ~ $750
Crankshaft bearing disintegrated. Replaced and rebuild engine with Cosworth parts ~ $7k
Occasionally O2 sensor or some funny thing will happen that can cause the car to be running in limp mode (boost cut) making your wrx a slowpoke which defeats the purpose of having one.

Other than that it's normal wear and tear. Mine is relatively stock so FC is around 9 km/l.

LeSaux

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually FC not really important to me cause the car will be used for weekend only. I will still be taking bus to work because ERP/parking in CBD is way too high. lol......

I am only worried about reliability or known failures thats super expensive to repair (eg. Lancer SST gearbox or VW DSG). I will only take the manual one.
Some of the common problems are aircon compressor & cooling coil, engine mounts & must change timing belt ever 80,000 or 100,000.

Reaction score
OK thanks everyone, other than wear and tear, looks like no serious problem with Subaru cars. Looks like its quite reliable.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.