Breakdown cost of car

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok. So you sleep on street?
I don't need a house, doesn't mean I don't have one.

You need a house and can't afford a car, doesn't mean one doesn't have a house and can't afford a car.

-nyox-

Master Member
Reaction score
If u are not earning at least 5k,dont even think about buying a new car.

For a used car, can be slightly lower.

pony852

Master Member
Reaction score
i can say goodbye to my thoughts for owning a car already judging by what you guys said to set at least 2k a month just for car.

i am earning barely 3k a month, just started working not long ago also. i only have 10k savings from all my part time job and school allowance savings since young lol

it wouldnt be wise of me to purchase a car even if my parents willing to help me out half the amount also right? i am extremely shag from travelling 3 to 4 hours a day to and fro, having to wake up at 5am and reach home at 8pm

pony852

Master Member
Reaction score
another question i want to ask is that, what happens to my car after 10 years? be it new or 2nd hand car

tk

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i can say goodbye to my thoughts for owning a car already judging by what you guys said to set at least 2k a month just for car.

i am earning barely 3k a month, just started working not long ago also. i only have 10k savings from all my part time job and school allowance savings since young lol

it wouldnt be wise of me to purchase a car even if my parents willing to help me out half the amount also right? i am extremely shag from travelling 3 to 4 hours a day to and fro, having to wake up at 5am and reach home at 8pm

Try to find a regular grabhitch to/from your house to work..

tutukueh

Master Member
Reaction score

Yes 3k is definitely not enough lol. Unless you enslave urself to become a grab driver like many here lor.. can work long hours, risk ur health and safety to become a car slave.. but hey, can "own" a car.

IcYFl4mEz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

With the amount u earning and savings u got, its tough. Dont stretch urself

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Dude, hitch and grab/uber are there for a reason. Use it.

tutukueh

Master Member
Reaction score
Dude, hitch and grab/uber are there for a reason. Use it.

Go ahead and listen to EJB and join this new class of people. They are happy to flaunt their PH decal big big (and will tint their window to make it less obvious)

Time is your most precious asset. Invest in yourself and career. Save money buy a property. Next time can retire easier, no need slog after hours like these PH drivers.

It's bad for health and safety. Life is short, no pt being a PH slave. Besides Grab and Uber are investing heavily in Driverless tech, one day will pwn these PH drivers hard. Your choice.

erizai

Reaction score
True cost:-

$110 HDB parking (with shelter)
$110 Parking daily at work place 60cents/hr
(very hard to find and must walk far far)
$220 Parking daily at work place $1-2/hr Daily +-$10 x22 working days
$132 ERP to $3 and fro $3 x22 working days
$400 Petrol one week one tank +-80$-100 depending on car size
$916 Car Installment (Annual depreciation average $10000-11000)
$60/month. Road tax below 1600cc $700 for 2000cc = $1200 /12 months
$125/month Insurance base on $1500
$20/month Black engine oil maintenance every 4 months $80
$40 One week wash once at petrol kiosk

More or less Monthly $1913++:eek:

Haven't talked about other maintenance like tyres, repair, etc

tutukueh

Master Member
Reaction score
True cost:-

$110 HDB parking (with shelter)
$110 Parking daily at work place 60cents/hr
(very hard to find and must walk far far)
$220 Parking daily at work place $1-2/hr Daily +-$10 x22 working days
$132 ERP to $3 and fro $3 x22 working days
$400 Petrol one week one tank +-80$-100 depending on car size
$916 Car Installment (Annual depreciation average $10000-11000)
$60/month. Road tax below 1600cc $700 for 2000cc = $1200 /12 months
$125/month Insurance base on $1500
$20/month Black engine oil maintenance every 4 months $80
$40 One week wash once at petrol kiosk

More or less Monthly $1913++:eek:

Haven't talked about other maintenance like tyres, repair, etc
Word. People think buying the car is just COE and Body price.. end up have to do PH /hitch just to keep themselves afloat.

pony852

Master Member
Reaction score
right... i think i better save up and buy a house instead, a wiser decision considering all those grab/uber available.

i miss my poly days where i only spent less than $30 a month on unlimited transport :s13:

most of my friends are driving their parents car around which is kinda making me jealous and making me wanting to own a car more besides the daily long hour commute to workplace

tutukueh

Master Member
Reaction score
right... i think i better save up and buy a house instead, a wiser decision considering all those grab/uber available.

i miss my poly days where i only spent less than $30 a month on unlimited transport :s13:

most of my friends are driving their parents car around which is kinda making me jealous and making me wanting to own a car more besides the daily long hour commute to workplace
Good decision. I started buying a car only when I was earning more than 10k a month. Girls don't dig guys who drive a car (esp PH cars) without a house. They want a man who has real assets like a house

Without car loan, u also have time to invest in urself or spend time with loved ones.

Good job. Do not be a PH slave. We will see the effect of PH drivers in few years to come. It's going to be really bad.

stylechap

Master Member
Reaction score

your company have any transport allowance for owning a car?
and it sounds a bit sad to not have any company transport into tuas.

blueodyssey

Reaction score
Here is an example:
Car: Toyota Vios
Register: Jan 2010
Listed Price: 33,500
Purchase Price: 31,000 (Negotiating 2,500 off highly possible)

Downpayment: 30% * 31,000 = 9,300 (Round up to 10,000)
For cars with OMV less than 20k, you can take loan of 70%.
For cars with OMV more than 20k, you can take loan of 60%.
Loan period max 7 years or balance months of COE for 2nd hand cars, whichever is smaller.

Loan amount: 31,000 – 10,000 = 21,000
Loan period: 24 months
Interest rate: 2.98% PA (Assumption)
Interest: 2.98% * 21,000 * 2 years = 1,251.60
Monthly Installment: 927.15
Monthly Road Tax: 684 / 12 = 57 (684 per year)
Monthly Season Parking: 110 (Assume HDB sheltered carpark, 1st car in household)
Monthly Insurance: 2,000 / 12 = 166.67 (Assume 2,000 per year , might be higher for new and young driver)
Monthly Petrol: 70 per pump *4 weeks = 280
Monthly Cashcard/Coupons = 90 (Parking & ERP)
Monthly Tyre = 360 / 20 = 18 (Assume 90 per tyre including alignment, 4 pcs, each set of tyres last for 20 months)
Monthly General Maintenance / Servicing = 400 / 6 = 67 (Assume 400 is set aside for servicing/replacement of spares every 6 months)

Total Running Cost of Car including installment: 1,715.82

You can consider putting a higher downpayment to lower your installment. The running cost is pretty much fixed. I suggest a conservative budget for unforeseen situations.
Last but not lease, you can consider cabs, uber or grab as well.

pony852

Master Member
Reaction score
Good decision. I started buying a car only when I was earning more than 10k a month. Girls don't dig guys who drive a car (esp PH cars) without a house. They want a man who has real assets like a house

Without car loan, u also have time to invest in urself or spend time with loved ones.

Good job. Do not be a PH slave. We will see the effect of PH drivers in few years to come. It's going to be really bad.

damn, i am really doubting myself whether i can even earn more than 10k a month. any idea how to make more money on top of my miserable 3k salary?

pony852

Master Member
Reaction score
your company have any transport allowance for owning a car?
and it sounds a bit sad to not have any company transport into tuas.

only transport they provide is pick up at boon lay mrt and there is no transport allowance for owning a car

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Go ahead and listen to EJB and join this new class of people. They are happy to flaunt their PH decal big big (and will tint their window to make it less obvious)

Time is your most precious asset. Invest in yourself and career. Save money buy a property. Next time can retire easier, no need slog after hours like these PH drivers.

It's bad for health and safety. Life is short, no pt being a PH slave. Besides Grab and Uber are investing heavily in Driverless tech, one day will pwn these PH drivers hard. Your choice.
I'm amused. Just because I'm a PH driver, doesn't mean I use my own car for PH driving. :s13: Additionally, I'm asking him to use the services of UG and GH, but you are so caught up with getting personal you think I'm asking him to rent one and use it, your level of comprehension is really 'tok kong'.

Time is precious and you don't understand why people want to get a car - is to save time.

Seriously, learn some comprehension and learn how getting a car is saving people in an intangible manner instead of saving money.

It's better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, then to open one's mouth and have proved me right.

blueodyssey

Reaction score
Here is another example:
Car: Kia K3
Register: New
Listed Price: 88,000

Downpayment: 30% * 88,000 = 26,400 (Round up to 27,000)
For cars with OMV less than 20k, you can take loan of 70%.
For cars with OMV more than 20k, you can take loan of 60%.
Loan period max 7 years or balance months of COE for 2nd hand cars, whichever is smaller.

Loan amount: 88,000 – 27,000 = 61,000
Loan period: 84 months (7 years)
Interest rate: 2.98% PA (Assumption)
Interest: 2.98% * 61,000 * 7 years = 12,724.60
Monthly Installment: 877.67
Monthly Road Tax: 738 / 12 = 61.5 (738 per year, but usually 1 year is including in car price)
Monthly Season Parking: 110 (Assume HDB sheltered carpark, 1st car in household)
Monthly Insurance: 2,800 / 12 = 233.33 (Assume 2,800 per year , might be higher for new car, new and young driver)
Monthly Petrol: 70 per pump *4 weeks = 280
Monthly Cashcard/Coupons = 90 (Parking & ERP)
Monthly Tyre = 400 / 20 = 20 (Assume 100 per tyre including alignment, 4 pcs, each set of tyres last for 20 months)
Monthly General Maintenance / Servicing = 300 / 8 = 37.5 (Assume 300 is set aside for servicing/replacement of spares every 6 months, new car usually have x number of free servicing, however consumables are not included)
Total Running Cost of Car including Installment: 1,710

About the same as second hand car. The biggest difference is you definitely have to fork out a higher downpayment for new cars.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.