Constantly buying 8 yr old cars, a good idea?

preventme

Reaction score
Well true. Yes my mechanical knowledge not so good...

Guess my age is really quite a challenge. Think I will go do some shopping at used car dealer first and see what stories they give. Lol

hiton

Reaction score
Just drive your ride till 2018. Dun think too much unless u want to change to a new one

doody_

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
By the way, the link you shared is from a website that sells used cars. They may have a hidden agenda to promote used cars... the big if for used cars is the maintenance. One big ticket item spoil and your savings all gone.

You could get a "cheap" 8k/year depreciation car, add in 1 gearbox failure and some misc shock absorbers or mounting, become 10k/year depreciation liao...

rotting@desk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
drive ur civic la

assuming u bought the car before the last few years price super spike, there is no car depreciation like ur present one nw

mine also till 2018, nw is see see look look mkt, somewhere last quarter next year then commit since my present car alr fully paid for...

i did drive my car all the way since 2008 btw before tht was ed civic -> eg civic -> jdm accord

delceer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Came across this article that mentioned that it is advisable to buy a 8 year old car instead of a brand new or relatively young car and I think it actually suits my situation pretty well.

I am interested to see your opinions to this.

http://sgcardepre.com/wisdom/why-i-started-buying-8-year-old-cars/

In summary, buying a 8 year old car have the advantages below:
1. You know how much you are going to lose
2. You can afford to not take loan (or too much loan)
3. You can change car every two years (in the event of you constantly buy and sell a brand new car, you lose more in comparison)
4.you can save on cosmetic damages (since you are selling it in 2 years)

My short background:
Doing sales job that needs a car. Travelling to jb 2 to 3 times a week.

Preparing to get married in 2 years.

Owning a 2008 civic. (need to find a replacement car soon)

The reason of me considering option is that in any case that I make a career change, I do not need to worry about the 10 years installment if I buy a new car.

Also since I plan to get married in two years time, I will need a relatively big pot of cash, can't afford to use it all on my car downpayment.

All in all, do you guys think it is a wise or partially wise option for my situation or for going adults in general?

The idea is good.
You just need to ensure the car is not lemon.
If is lemon, you are going to lose a lot of money and your personal time.

Expert

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
even if not lemon, wear and tears will start to creep in liao.. #trustmeIamarestorer

:s13: :s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.