Hi guys, can anyone kindly advise if there's a better way I could've handled these situations?

aelysha

Reaction score
Had 2 cases where my father blew up at me and said I was driving too recklessly.

First time was while driving on the left-most lane of the CTE just before Balestier where there's merging traffic from the left side. At the point where the roads joined, the front of my car was around the back tire of the car on the left. Could see he was reluctant to change lanes as our cars were too close. Yet my car is moving faster than his so I have to slow down quite a bit to let him pass. I decided to accelerate pass him so that he would have space to cut behind me instead of driving side by side all along the road shoulder. Also didn't want to inconvenience users by suddenly slowing down. Kena scolding by father.

Second time was also while driving on the left most lane. Saw 2 buses at a bus stop. The bus in front was signalling right. Problem with buses is that a lot of times even if you slow down and let them pass, they decide not to go anyway. So I decided to just maintain speed as I didn't think the bus would come out since I was already quite near it. There were also no cars in front of me so I figured the driver was waiting for me to pass. But when I was around 1 bus length from the back (or 2 bus lengths from the front) the driver suddenly decided to turn out. Ended up stepping on the brakes hard (like you do when the traffic light suddenly turns amber) and kena scolding from my father again.

Is there a better way that I could've handled it?

Dragon

Administrator
Reaction score
In both cases you already knew you could have slowed down but due to impatience you chose not to. Hence in my humble opinion, yes you deserved to be scolded by your father. It doesn't feel good to be scolded but your father's experience means more.

Hope this helps. :)

AL5509

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Had 2 cases where my father blew up at me and said I was driving too recklessly.
Better solution??
Can do not drive when you are with your dad......????
Lololololol

Just drive slow and safe when unsure ba.
Slow down just a few sec/min may save lot of time/money if cheycheychey get into an accident wor.

You may wish to read this?

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/c...ensive-when-driving-4607986.html#post84301545

omegawatch

Master Member
Reaction score

First time was while driving on the left-most lane of the CTE just before Balestier where there's merging traffic from the left side. At the point where the roads joined, the front of my car was around the back tire of the car on the left. Could see he was reluctant to change lanes as our cars were too close. Yet my car is moving faster than his so I have to slow down quite a bit to let him pass. I decided to accelerate pass him so that he would have space to cut behind me instead of driving side by side all along the road shoulder. Also didn't want to inconvenience users by suddenly slowing down. Kena scolding by father.

Second time was also while driving on the left most lane. Saw 2 buses at a bus stop. The bus in front was signalling right. Problem with buses is that a lot of times even if you slow down and let them pass, they decide not to go anyway. So I decided to just maintain speed as I didn't think the bus would come out since I was already quite near it. There were also no cars in front of me so I figured the driver was waiting for me to pass. But when I was around 1 bus length from the back (or 2 bus lengths from the front) the driver suddenly decided to turn out. Ended up stepping on the brakes hard (like you do when the traffic light suddenly turns amber) and kena scolding from my father again.

Your dad is right. On the probability that he has more experience and hence better judgement of other road users. Be glad you have someone mentoring you. Some people don't and drove like an asshole for the rest of their lives.

1st case, if the car is already in front of you, just let it filter into the expressway. Why waste fuel to cut in front and risk an accident? It's not as if you are side by side. Do you always have to be in front? Since you are on the left lane, you should anticipate cars that are entering the expressway and let people have a chance to enter. Imagine you are the one who is entering the expressway and an idiot drove like you did?

2nd case, most likely the bus thought you are far away enough and it was safe for him to come out. Now without video evidence, it's entirely possible that he misjudged or bochup come out. But since you are the newbie, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Then it comes down to you not anticipating what others might do and not driving defensively. The jamming of brakes showed you were caught by surprise in what is a typically common scenario.

newcell

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When situation not in your favour, give way. Better waste few second then hours in workshop.

Iron-man

Reaction score
Did you just pass? Anyway, just take it as a learning lesson, we've all been through it. Parents don't want anything bad to happen to their kids.

Hell, even now I'm gaining new experiences while driving. Familiarising with routes, lanes to keep so I don't have to make abrupt lane changes, anticipating other drivers' movements. There's no such thing as being a master of driving, we all have to keep learning.

Yo2020

Master Member
Reaction score
case 1) i know, the mergers r supposed to gv way, but i suggest u gv way (at least until u r confident n experienced in driving) coz in s'pore the mergers r pretty aggressive.

case 2) cannot maintain speed, must slow down n prepare to stop. plus, some bus stops hv a gv way box next to it, n u may not know which has it.

q w e r t ii

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for case 1, yes u could have just let go of your accelerator pedal and let him filter in. as said above, he was already in front of you. no need to brake at all, u wont inconvenient others :o

sunsetbay

Reaction score
case 1, i will slow down & let the other car go 1st since the car is ahead of me~ also if u put yourself to his situation, u will know if the car fully stop, its very difficult to pick up to the speed of the expressway cars unless u drive a super car~

case 2, i will filter to the next lane to give room for the bus to filter out~ if no space to change lane, then see situation~ if my speed is fast i will continue straight, if slow moving traffic, i will give way~ :s22:

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Case 1, I will only filter left when turning out of CTE, I won't chiong side by side with another merging lane.

Case 2, I will high beam and horn the bus before I reach the bus stop, but these days I just preempt and assume they will cut out, so I slow down or change lane instead.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.