How many times of Driving Tests (TP) you took to pass? - Part 2

How many times of Driving Tests (TP) you took to pass?

• 1 time :o

Votes: 1,446 58.3%
  • 2 times :)

Votes: 577 23.3%
  • 3 times :(

Votes: 260 10.5%
  • 4 times :sad:

Votes: 90 3.6%
  • 5 times

Votes: 38 1.5%
  • 6 or more times

Votes: 68 2.7%

• Total voters

Idme231

Reaction score
Thanks for the very detailed explanation !!! Clearer than my instructor lol

or maybe I should start drawing as a guide. My instructor has pictures of what the procedures should be done. very well used.

Idme231

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me, what does the tp test consists off?
how long will it take?

It consists of circuit driving and public driving.
Tests you the following things:

CIRCUIT DRIVING TEST
S Course
Crank Course
Narrow course (with red cone to drive in and reverse into a lot to move to main road again)
Emergency Brake Test (Depends by Tester)
Slope driving
Parallel Parking
Perpendicular Parking

These are the things you need to do for your test and it tests your ability to drive or reverse in carparks, drive thru, how to react in emergency and etc.

PUBLIC ROAD TEST

- Change Lanes
- U Turn Negotiation
- Right Turn Left Turn
- other traffic situations such as at the zebra crossings.
- Other rules conforming to the road traffic act.

- Test your ability as a driver on the local roads. Before hitting the expressway, all of these must be passed and certified by the tester. The tester will test your safety, knowledge , then confidence in dealing the everyday traffic situations. Examples such as 3 point turns are not tested but it is still necessary if the traffic police tester requires you to do a change of directions if something on the road crops up.

To Pass, One must not have more than 20 points and totally no immediate failure. The maximum you can actually accumulated to pass is 18 points.
Immediate failure are indicated when the testee commits a serious offence to the road traffic rules while driving be it in circuit or public driving.

The test duration is all up to the tester and its about 30-40 mins at least.
Whether you fail or pass, tester will still advise you on your performance during test, it is done after the test where you will be brought into the tp office to get your results by the TP. Demerit points varies from the severity range to the mistakes and is added up together.

However, I must also say that, many things still play apart to the tester to pass. Which is very normal to those who took their driving test before, including me.

Last edited:

TiOnGSquare

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
guys what does this means:

saw on ssdc faq site

You are required to apply for Theory Trial Test (2X Practice sessions) and (1X Theory Trial Test Mode and Passed) before applying for your BTT, FTT & RTT. Applying of FTT & RTT is allowed only after you have passed the BTT.

means i actually have to apply and go for 3 lessons at the school for the trial??

Last edited:

taquito

Reaction score
if take BTT at school already but now want to swtich to private instructor for the rest of the course, is it still possible?

b3064924

Reaction score
Hi all,

After 2.5 months of practical sessions, I passed my TP on 1st try! SSDC, school learner, Class 3A. Took the 10.15 am slot, best choice ever. Circuit was EMPTY except for test cars plus 1 or 2 private learner cars. Circuit can be very messy when it is crowded.

Mistakes made during TP:

1) Turn steering whilst vehicle is stationary (Vertical Parking) - 2 pts
2) Fail to check mirror before slowing down X 2 (1 free count) - 2 pts
3) Fail to check blind spot (free count) - 0 pts
4) Proceed on Amber Light / Flickering Green Arrow - 8 pts

Total: 12 demerit points

Total amount spent: $2.2K (18 lessons to clear 30 modules + 5 revisions)

I was super nervous when I was in the waiting room but surprisingly calm when I got into the car with the tester. I greeted him with a loud "GOOD MORNING SIR!", think it shocked him a little lol. Did the necessary adjustments (just for show only, since I took the same car for warm-up and adjusted beforehand) while he mounted the camera. His words were, "When I tap here means e-brake. Just focus and drive. If you are ready, you may start." E-brake was not tested.

A lot of people commented that their route outside was cut short but mine took a pretty long time? About 20 minutes. U-turn was not tested. I think I took a longer route outside because he wanted to assess me longer. My circuit was done quite badly, parallel parking not straight. He even opened the door to show me. "Would you like me to do a correction, sir?" but he said never mind, just proceed. Vertical parking saw me adjusting for more than 5 times, screwed up big time but managed to get into the lot. Really lucky during v. parking because both of us were getting impatient.

To future testees: Please do every. single. damn. safety. check. The tester just wants to know that you are a safe driver, not a pro driver. I dare say I checked like hell in the circuit. Every single reverse, every single turn, every single bend, I will turn to check my blind spot.

I didnt hear him or see him tapping anything on his tablet so I didnt know where he recorded my mistakes. He was looking at his tablet but I didnt know what he was doing, so, ignorance is bliss lolol.

Good luck to all future testees, if there are any questions, please feel free to ask. I will try my best to help (esp circuit issues)! And to all bros who helped with my questions last time, THANK YOU.

CurryRice999

Reaction score
I pass my btt ftt last year june. Do i have to take anymore test beside renewing my pdl and go for lesson before taking test.

b3064924

Reaction score
I pass my btt ftt last year june. Do i have to take anymore test beside renewing my pdl and go for lesson before taking test.

Hi CurryRice999,

Nope, no other tests you’ll need to take. FTT validity is 2 years, just make sure it’s not expired. Good luck!

duststorm

Reaction score
i'm from kovan cdc... may I know whether I can book continuous 2 practical lessons? I found that my time in circuit is only about 40mins for every practical as time is lost for travel to and fro pick up point.

TiOnGSquare

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

After 2.5 months of practical sessions, I passed my TP on 1st try! SSDC, school learner, Class 3A. Took the 10.15 am slot, best choice ever. Circuit was EMPTY except for test cars plus 1 or 2 private learner cars. Circuit can be very messy when it is crowded.

Mistakes made during TP:

1) Turn steering whilst vehicle is stationary (Vertical Parking) - 2 pts
2) Fail to check mirror before slowing down X 2 (1 free count) - 2 pts
3) Fail to check blind spot (free count) - 0 pts
4) Proceed on Amber Light / Flickering Green Arrow - 8 pts

Total: 12 demerit points

Total amount spent: $2.2K (18 lessons to clear 30 modules + 5 revisions)

I was super nervous when I was in the waiting room but surprisingly calm when I got into the car with the tester. I greeted him with a loud "GOOD MORNING SIR!", think it shocked him a little lol. Did the necessary adjustments (just for show only, since I took the same car for warm-up and adjusted beforehand) while he mounted the camera. His words were, "When I tap here means e-brake. Just focus and drive. If you are ready, you may start." E-brake was not tested.

A lot of people commented that their route outside was cut short but mine took a pretty long time? About 20 minutes. U-turn was not tested. I think I took a longer route outside because he wanted to assess me longer. My circuit was done quite badly, parallel parking not straight. He even opened the door to show me. "Would you like me to do a correction, sir?" but he said never mind, just proceed. Vertical parking saw me adjusting for more than 5 times, screwed up big time but managed to get into the lot. Really lucky during v. parking because both of us were getting impatient.

To future testees: Please do every. single. damn. safety. check. The tester just wants to know that you are a safe driver, not a pro driver. I dare say I checked like hell in the circuit. Every single reverse, every single turn, every single bend, I will turn to check my blind spot.

I didnt hear him or see him tapping anything on his tablet so I didnt know where he recorded my mistakes. He was looking at his tablet but I didnt know what he was doing, so, ignorance is bliss lolol.

Good luck to all future testees, if there are any questions, please feel free to ask. I will try my best to help (esp circuit issues)! And to all bros who helped with my questions last time, THANK YOU.

10:15am on which week day?

tulipcrane

Reaction score
i'm from kovan cdc... may I know whether I can book continuous 2 practical lessons? I found that my time in circuit is only about 40mins for every practical as time is lost for travel to and fro pick up point.

Yup from kovan cdc, i book 2 practical lessons back to back during last wave of practicals so just in time for test and longer practise on road and circuit. The queuing up for vertical parking and parallel always so long. For once, One lesson only manage to do 3 to 4 vertical parking.

theccguy

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am with bbdc and feel like very slow in practical training.
8 sessions but just clear 1.08.
Have a feeling like instructors intend to slow me down.
For example, today I did negotiate sharp bend very well but he just clear 1.08 for me, not 1.09 as well.
Any one like me?

rainbowmonster124

Reaction score
Hi all,
For example, today I did negotiate sharp bend very well but he just clear 1.08 for me, not 1.09 as well.
Any one like me?

I was at bbdc. Cleared around 2-3 parts each lesson. There were 2 occasions where I only cleared1 part but that was in stage 3

CSNrf2ARE

Reaction score
I was with BBDC too.... Cleared Stage 1 with like 6 lessons? But later got held back, especially my circuit component in Stage 3. Was also quite worried about my progress (lessons are not cheap), but still managed to clear in about 26 lessons? I took quite a few revision lessons because I felt like I wasn’t ready for the test....

Don’t worry too much, since you are just starting out. My advice is to use this opportunity to really get a good grasp of handling a car. And most people will have to go through at least 25 lessons before their TP... Or if you felt like you did well and don’t understand why you are not being cleared for that stage, why not just voice it out nicely to your instructor? Maybe he will explain what else you need to improve on.

Hi all,
Any one like me?

theccguy

Reaction score
I was with BBDC too.... Cleared Stage 1 with like 6 lessons? But later got held back, especially my circuit component in Stage 3. Was also quite worried about my progress (lessons are not cheap), but still managed to clear in about 26 lessons? I took quite a few revision lessons because I felt like I wasn’t ready for the test....

Don’t worry too much, since you are just starting out. My advice is to use this opportunity to really get a good grasp of handling a car. And most people will have to go through at least 25 lessons before their TP... Or if you felt like you did well and don’t understand why you are not being cleared for that stage, why not just voice it out nicely to your instructor? Maybe he will explain what else you need to improve on.

So worried abt my progress and budget as well.

Certainly instructors always have sth to blame abt my skills as I am a learning driver. But cannot expect everything perfect.

Wonder should I quit school and go for a private instructor?

CJW311296

Reaction score
So worried abt my progress and budget as well.

Certainly instructors always have sth to blame abt my skills as I am a learning driver. But cannot expect everything perfect.

Wonder should I quit school and go for a private instructor?

Hi bro,

Yeah indeed budget is one of our biggest concerns during learner days..

Progress is what make us think whether could we conquer "TP" in due course..

Yeah I do agree instructors will always "blame" us for mistakes either due misjudgement or skills however don't be disheartened as it is meant for our good nevertheless I would strongly encourage to get your instructor to discuss your mistake and how to improve on it like lane changing, gauging vehicle speed, right turn and left turn etc all this items will bound to have some way or another "lecture" by your instructors.

I would not encourage you to join private at this moment given the facts that u have almost 10 lessons which u are abt to complete module 1 and for school learner almost all of us took avg 25-28 lessons so look ahead..

Just some sharing my friend took private almost 3k as he went for 3 Practical test so the cost is comparable to sch learner first time pass so he somehow regretted going for private route and the 3 practical test waiting time was almost 5-6 weeks for every next slot.

All the best and never look back when you are feeling you are about to give up remember why you started learning driving at the beginning!!

Cheers..
CJW

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.