How to be more defensive when driving

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #61
Arch-Supremacy Member

Updated - Thanks
Arsene_Wenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #62

When turning left or right with multiple lanes able to do so at a junction, we should turn to the leftmost and rightmost lanes depending on which lane we are in at the junction (e.g. leftmost lane turn to leftmost lane and 2nd left lane turn to 2nd left lane) OR follow lane markings for turning if there are any. However:
1) Do not turn in parallel with another car
2) Watch out on your sides.
As some drivers will cross over to your path while turning.

Another thing, do not depend on double white lines and assume other drivers won't cross it.
sohcheekeong likes this.
HaNgHaNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #63

One more, watch out for vehicles trying to "escape" from right turn lanes to go straight. They might not signal and just turn out.
HaNgHaNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #64

pay more attention to the roads. its multi dimensional so don just look at one area. was involved in an minor accident ytd for the same reason and the damages were quite bad (my front) but luckily there is insurance but next yr premiums sure damn chor
cwy1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:43 PM   #65
Master Member

When turning left or right with multiple lanes able to do so at a junction, we should turn to the leftmost and rightmost lanes depending on which lane we are in at the junction (e.g. leftmost lane turn to leftmost lane and 2nd left lane turn to 2nd left lane) OR follow lane markings for turning if there are any. However:
1) Do not turn in parallel with another car
2) Watch out on your sides.
As some drivers will cross over to your path while turning.

Another thing, do not depend on double white lines and assume other drivers won't cross it.
I agree with this.

Very true in the local context.
Old 25-07-2014, 12:05 AM   #66

One rule i always live by when driving, Assume every other road user is an idiot.
kappa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #67
Master Member

One rule i always live by when driving, Assume every other road user is an idiot.
This is a good reminder.

It also helps to build patience and take all precautions (i.e. not to take things for granted).
Old 05-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #68

Being defensive is the positive strategy while driving a car. I found many drivers who drive aggressively and resulted in an accident. I always drive in one lane and don't shuffle my car too much
TomHardyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #69

As far as I can see, a driver should be patient and keep calm always. The most thing is not to be defensive but not be affected by surroundings, the traffic jam, hot-tempered and impolite driver.

On the other hand, one should install any kinds of systems which do a favor to safe driving.
cherryjiyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #70
Master Member

Being defensive is the positive strategy while driving a car. I found many drivers who drive aggressively and resulted in an accident. I always drive in one lane and don't shuffle my car too much
I totally agree.

I too stick to one lane (middle lane or lanes) and avoid the extreme right or overtaking lane. Sometimes it is just too crowded there.

At times, I do use the extreme left lane and sometimes it is quite clear without the trucks and lorries.
Old 30-01-2015, 03:23 PM   #71

What do you do with tailgaters? There are some many of them these days.
I normally drive in the centre lanes but still kena tailgate all the way from Tampines to Jurong. Why can't they just overtake me on lane 1?
sohcheekeong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 01:17 PM   #72

Many times in jam when I wanna switch lane, cannot see if there are bikes weaving between traffic... A bit dangerous... Any solution to this?
i hate such bike... choi choi.. if tio accident when the car in stationary position when wanna change late (cos seeing the motorist suddenly chiong downslope), whose in fault?

is biker always win whenever there is an accident?
botoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #73
Senior Moderator

What do you do with tailgaters? There are some many of them these days.
I normally drive in the centre lanes but still kena tailgate all the way from Tampines to Jurong. Why can't they just overtake me on lane 1?
If I am you I will move to the leftmost lane let the tailgater pass then move back to centre lane. I am amazed that you actually bear with the tailgater from Tampines to Jurong.
Old 14-07-2016, 08:09 AM   #74
Supremacy Member

Be aware of weekend drivers or seasonal drivers.

By seasonal I mean people who don't normally drive and only rent to drive a few days during festive periods. These drivers have little experience and are a hazard to most road users.
crumpler ish jin expensiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 11:40 PM   #75

I would say aunty drivers as well.

Just this afternoon I was on a bus and saw this car trying to filter to the right lane. The driver was hesitating whether to go or not, even though the taxi in the lane had already stopped to let her filter in. Eventually the taxi driver horned and the aunty then moved in.

A few car lengths in front, she was trying to make a right turn, and just blatantly cut in from lane 2 to lane 1 to make that turn. This time she disregarded the car that was already there and trying to make that right turn. Really doubt her judgement sia...
Jun.Hao19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.