No handbrake light on dashboard

Reaction score
Hi , I m driving a 8yo civic. Just bought the car. When I pull up the handbrake , there is no light up at the dashboard . Previously my old car will light up when I pulled up the handbrake . Something wrong ?

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi , I m driving a 8yo civic. Just bought the car. When I pull up the handbrake , there is no light up at the dashboard . Previously my old car will light up when I pulled up the handbrake . Something wrong ?

Most imptly, when you engage the HB, does the car really stop? If yes, then not mechanical problem. Mostly, wiring issues. If you can live with it, then move on.

But again, when your ride comes to 9th year old, it is subjected to inspection, am not sure if would be a problem or not.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Most imptly, when you engage the HB, does the car really stop? If yes, then not mechanical problem. Mostly, wiring issues. If you can live with it, then move on.

But again, when your ride comes to 9th year old, it is subjected to inspection, am not sure if would be a problem or not.

Cheers.
After I engage park . I pull up the handbrake and I can feel “locking” feel ... but the light at the dashboard is not light up

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After I engage park . I pull up the handbrake and I can feel “locking” feel ... but the light at the dashboard is not light up

Assumed the "locking" feel is HB engaged.
Suggest you go back to the dealer to address this to them since you just bgt this car from them.

IcYFl4mEz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

To be safe, engage D then pull up handbrake with footbrake pressed. Then release footbrake n see if ur car roll or nt. If nv meana HB working.

Reaction score
To be safe, engage D then pull up handbrake with footbrake pressed. Then release footbrake n see if ur car roll or nt. If nv meana HB working.

Tried and car din move ..meaning hb working ? When I turn on the engine just now , the hb light was on again then I release no more but when I pull again , no light again.😨..

snipfer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tried and car din move ..meaning hb working ? When I turn on the engine just now , the hb light was on again then I release no more but when I pull again , no light again.�..

Could be meter faulty on the particular handbrake LED

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX 2 using GAGT

Reaction score
Could be meter faulty on the particular handbrake LED

Sorry to ask , should b ok rt ?? As in not major problem . My dealer did say will check for me . I trust this dealer as we 2nd time buying from him ..

snipfer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No big issue as long as the hand brake is working.

For me, I seldom step on the foot brake(handbrake) unless parking at a slope.
Putting the gear at P is more than enough

Reaction score
No big issue as long as the hand brake is working.

For me, I seldom step on the foot brake(handbrake) unless parking at a slope.
Putting the gear at P is more than enough

Thank you . Ooo isit ? I always use the handbrake or leg brake even if I engage p ..

AL5509

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Icic .. dunno y .. since day 1 , I always engage P and pull handbrake ..
This handbrake thingy was talked about last time.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/cars-cars-204/handbrake-extra-if-you-dun-park-slopes-4466017-3.html

Sarbmariner

Reaction score
From what I know, P already sort of engaged the parking brake... I drive a manual so gotta pull the parking brake every time... :)

P does not engage the actual handbrake.

P engages a "parking pawl" in your gearbox. The parking pawl locks on a notched disc on the output shaft of the gearbox (output shaft is linked to the wheels), so that turning of the wheels is prevented.

Think of it as Neutral but putting a padlock through the gears of the gearbox so they cannot turn.

The handbrake parking brake is a different thing. It has nothing to do with the gearbox.

The handbrake engages a separate brake drum on the (typically) rear axle of the vehicle. This brake drum is separate from the regular service brake (the one we step on with our right foot to slow the car) and is meant ONLY to hold the car in place.

The handbrake is NOT to be used to slow the car down unless during emergencies such as brake failure, and likewise you do not throw a moving car into P on the gearshift as this will absolutely destroy the parking pawl.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.