Reasonable COE's price to you?

AL5509

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As we know COE is HIGH now.
So just wonder how 'LOW' it reduce to sound reasonable to you that you will consider to make purchase of a new car?

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
10% of OMV price should be good.
This should made immediate depreciate to all previous owners. Also at lower insurance price.

If old car worth nothing. Many may stop buying as lost is high.

xxduckxx

Reaction score
actually 30-40k im ok liao.. that to me will be the long term average price .. cannot be too greedy and expect 20k type of range as well... but now is definitely too ex...

whaleshark87

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guess the public transport is waiting for drivers like you.
Lolololololol....

Because the piece of invisible paper is a piece of nonsense. It is just a way of letting gov make fast money for what?
I rather have high road tax than to having to pay for a junk invisble paper.

xuan87

Reaction score
Because the piece of invisible paper is a piece of nonsense. It is just a way of letting gov make fast money for what?

High COE, people complain expensive cannot buy cars.

Low COE or no COE, everyone buy cars, then road jam plus air quality turn bad (like Beijing) and everyone will still complain.

To be honest, I rather no COE, but super high ERP charges that increase or decrease according to number of cars on the street. That way, I can take public transport to work, but at night where there is less cars on the road, I can still drive. After all, it's not the number of cars sold that determine how many cars end up on the road at the same time, but the number of drivers.

Consider: A rich bachelor with 5 cars or a family with 2 cars. Who do you think will contribute more to road jam?

Therefore, don't tax car ownership, but tax car usage depending on time of the day (peak hours charge more, non-peak hours charge less or don't charge). Makes more sense this way to me....

warr

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
HK system is better for the people. SG's COE system is better for the government tax income.

superman

Master Member
Reaction score
High COE, people complain expensive cannot buy cars.

Low COE or no COE, everyone buy cars, then road jam plus air quality turn bad (like Beijing) and everyone will still complain.

To be honest, I rather no COE, but super high ERP charges that increase or decrease according to number of cars on the street. That way, I can take public transport to work, but at night where there is less cars on the road, I can still drive. After all, it's not the number of cars sold that determine how many cars end up on the road at the same time, but the number of drivers.

Consider: A rich bachelor with 5 cars or a family with 2 cars. Who do you think will contribute more to road jam?

Therefore, don't tax car ownership, but tax car usage depending on time of the day (peak hours charge more, non-peak hours charge less or don't charge). Makes more sense this way to me....

U better get your facts right, low or high COE prices does not affect the nos of cars on the road.

AL5509

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Buy la. So?
No good for u?
Good for ALL.
BUT we will all compete for it.
Imagine, 5000 people bidding for 500 COE?

There is where all these bidding push the COE price in a way if you understand what I mean.

AL5509

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I feel you but only if we have a choice ba.
But we do not seem to have such option, do ever see in till the day I die ba.
Lololololol

xuan87

Reaction score
U better get your facts right, low or high COE prices does not affect the nos of cars on the road.

Sorry, I should clarify that I assume the govt lowers the COE prices by allocating more COEs. Since the COE is allocated based on open bidding, then isn't the only way that the COE price remains low is when the govt allows more COE into the pool (under the current system) or artificially set a low COE price (then the govt have to allocate the same number of COE another way, probably by lucky draw like the Beijing system, or give priority to couples with kids etc). First case scenario means more cars on the road, second case scenario means you have to be lucky.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, thanks! I got my info from here: Certificate of Entitlement (COE) | Vehicle Quota System | Owning a Vehicle | Roads & Motoring | Land Transport Authority

HKS_Hippo

Suspended
Reaction score
Good for ALL.
BUT we will all compete for it.
Imagine, 5000 people bidding for 500 COE?

There is where all these bidding push the COE price in a way if you understand what I mean.

In a way quota also pay a part
When coe is 10k, it remain for a year or 2 due to high quota.

Not just the people are pushing up the price if you know what i mean

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.