Reliable Private Driving Instructor?

Veloso

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Theory I passed few months back, bought the books and self studied. School really quite expensive, I not that rich lol. Mine now is 28/hr (30/hr if peak), can choose instructor. If cancellation or change timing, just give the boss a call 72hrs in advance. And considering that you can choose instructor for private, I don't see myself paying the extra $5+ per lesson in school just to pick.

exactly, it's too pricey for me also. that's why i did not take up the fix instructor scheme thing, too much, lol.

coldbloood

Reaction score
for those looking for 3A PI in yckm(ssdc).. i recommend mr liew.. vios.

patient and no bulls&it... teach well and clearly... his hp number u go tp website can find. I first time pass liao. he also has the highest 1st time passing rate.

by the way ssdc going to shift to woodlands in march 2010.. so if you want to take now, hope you pass 1st time.. iirc the nxt test date is already like early feb 2010.. so.. 1 x good one or u're stuck!:s13:

hey kooky, im currently learning from mr ng now. indeed he teaches well but too naggy. anyway, how does the ng & liew partnership works? it seems that the test is registered under mr liew isit? and after a certain no. of lessons, mr ng will hand over to liew isit?

wowayne

Reaction score
Ok, so I just came back from my first lesson with this new instructor...

Gotta say, he's definitely better than my previous instructor! First lesson and he already brought me to do slopes (about 7 times - some by my request haha), U-turns (twice), lots of left and right turns. My previous instructor (Albert Yap from Woodlands Driving School - do NOT engage this guy!) always bring me to straight roads most of the time, even after 4 lessons. Stark difference in comparison, man.

So overall, this new instructor is tons better, and is patient and doesn't scold/nag, and he answers whatever questions I had quite well.

But. I don't know if this guy is the Mr Ong leonard90 mentioned. The person I called and this guy are 2 different people and so I asked him what his name was, and who did I talk on the phone with... He said, "Ong also. Everybody also Ong lah hor." HAHA. Damn funny.

I've PM-ed leonard90 to ask if I got the right instructor... 'Cause if I didn't, I want to request for the correct Mr Ong, even though this guy is not bad. I'd rather learn from someone who has been given a good review. :)

Either way, I'm glad I left my previous instructor. :o

Hi zuldevil! How's your pdi so far? mind if you can pm me his contact?
Maybe leonard90 can also help... looking for auto pdi around bukit batok/jurong area.
Thanks! ;)

Veloso

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe leonard90 can also help... looking for auto pdi around bukit batok/jurong area.
Thanks! ;)

i was not from private but i think i can help.
that's alot of pdi behind gombak mrt station, at the stadium's carpark, you might just want to go down there one day and grab a few contacts.

kooky_kooky

Master Member
Reaction score
hey kooky, im currently learning from mr ng now. indeed he teaches well but too naggy. anyway, how does the ng & liew partnership works? it seems that the test is registered under mr liew isit? and after a certain no. of lessons, mr ng will hand over to liew isit?

hey.. tahan abit lah, soon will hand over to liew liao..

oh, mr ng wil teach outside roads 1st.. until u are steady (maybe 10-15 lessons), he will gif u mr liew contact for u to make appt with him + book tp date. say bye bye to mr ng here and then.

mr liew will then one shot plan all the lessons for u ( iirc, at least 7 lessons, mostly circuit, some outside, see which u weak loh) till ur tp test date... and u will drive his vios for the test.

for me, i think i took a total of 20-21 lessons including warm up and passed first time. mr liew suits my style more lah, just personal opinion, not to say mr ng is not a good teacher, because he drills the basic in very well.. till now i remember all the harsh feedback he given me, which is gooD!

mr liew leh, more calm... and expect u to be proficient liao.. and always want you to drive "fast when you need to be fast, slow when u need to be slow"... no longer "slow and steady all the way".

sorry so loh soh, hope this helps u! :s13:

wowayne

Reaction score
i was not from private but i think i can help.
that's alot of pdi behind gombak mrt station, at the stadium's carpark, you might just want to go down there one day and grab a few contacts.

thanks, ill try to do that.
my friend was recommending me to enroll in idrive,
she said her brother passed 1st try under a mr yap from idrive
but took 30 sessions...
im quite hesitant with that... how come so many sessions,
i was just thinking 10-15 sessions (incl. circuit),
shd be ok right?

Last edited:

Veloso

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks, ill try to do that.
my friend was recommending me to enroll in idrive,
she said her brother passed 1st try under a mr yap from idrive
but took 30 sessions...
im quite hesitant with that... how come so many sessions,
i was just thinking 10-15 sessions (incl. circuit),
shd be ok right?

if you're looking for sch, i will say bbdc if you're staying anywhere near there.
but then it's much more expensive than private.

iheartria

Reaction score
Ok, so I just came back from my first lesson with this new instructor...

Gotta say, he's definitely better than my previous instructor! First lesson and he already brought me to do slopes (about 7 times - some by my request haha), U-turns (twice), lots of left and right turns. My previous instructor (Albert Yap from Woodlands Driving School - do NOT engage this guy!) always bring me to straight roads most of the time, even after 4 lessons. Stark difference in comparison, man.

So overall, this new instructor is tons better, and is patient and doesn't scold/nag, and he answers whatever questions I had quite well.

But. I don't know if this guy is the Mr Ong leonard90 mentioned. The person I called and this guy are 2 different people and so I asked him what his name was, and who did I talk on the phone with... He said, "Ong also. Everybody also Ong lah hor." HAHA. Damn funny.

I've PM-ed leonard90 to ask if I got the right instructor... 'Cause if I didn't, I want to request for the correct Mr Ong, even though this guy is not bad. I'd rather learn from someone who has been given a good review. :)

Either way, I'm glad I left my previous instructor. :o

hey was just wondering, what're the charges for Mr Ong/Mr Wong it's 90mins a lesson?? and you're learning Auto right? thanks :)

Urameshi84

Reaction score
I am going to share this experience calmly with you guys.

Mr Law Ng Kwee (HP:9788 6270). He is a very old man (ard 60- 70).

I searched him at internet and choose him because of 40+% pass rate and simply those "popular" instructor cannot take me in because of too much student.

Anyone under him, good luck to you.

Firstly I going to say his strengths:

1) Never eat your time and comes on time.

Now his bad points:

1) First impression a patient old man but turn out to be a devil after the 4th lesson. He is angry and have no patient for slowness reaction or small mistake. And then start whining the world out of you but never actually correct you.

2) Never teach how to check blind spot and things. You must ask him how to check then he tell you causually. Though he did say stop line must stop etc but overall he never try really try to enforce safety into the learning. There was one time he was like wanting me to rush back to Bukit Bomak carpark near mrt, he keep asking me to step accelerator pedal though we pass through some zebra crossing. He did not care and keep asking me to step, sorry not ask hor, its SHOUT. There was a situtation where a car want to lane change to my lane(left) to enter to the carpark at bukit bomak mrt, he shout at me to drive faster to cover the gap and don't let the poor car to overtake. :s27:

3) Maybe his english education was bad, he cant even differentiate the direction. Eg. To perform parallel parking. He tell me to turn steering wheel left, but actually should turn right. Then I follow him, end up is a harsh scolding from him. And same thing happen to gear shifting, ask me to change to gear 3 when it is already gear 3. Many times already. Overall, likes to confuse people and give unclear command.:s27:

4) Other instructor charge $39 for full 1 and half hour but he charge $42. And his style is you pay $$ for next lesson every session and he expect you to pay him before he teaches you the driving. I tried ignore his style and pay him after the lesson. Yes, end up another lecturing session.

5) He does'nt let you know what he wants. If he wants to stop at roadside to explain things to you, he will not say anything to you what he going to do. He can suddenly say stop and if your slow, and overshot a bit. Such things, he also can shout at you. "I tell you to stop right!"

6) His teachings best ar! Can drive me to a road with less car to practice vertical parking without poles. He used two small wheels from his bonnet to use as marking as the kerb. Then anyhow tell you to reverse until you see the small wheels then turn full left. When I cant perform and I ask him politely how do I know when to turn even though I see the small wheels. He come ranting on me " How I know you see, just turn when you see the wheels la."

7) He got weird attitude. Ask me to go bukit bomak personally to deposit $20 to book for tp later online. After a 2 hrs patient waiting, I call him which slot he available, he ask me dont book first. Then after the following week he ask me book tp already? I say huh? I tot you say dont book first. Then give me a attitude and say go book tp online. There is still more but I dont want to say much.

I really damn sad to have such instructor. A lot of "wei qu". My plan now is to just endure it until the tp. If fail, I switch to school liao.

zuldevil

Reaction score
Thanks! ;)

I've got some bone to pick with Mr Ong's driving school! Gather around, here my story. :x

<rant>
  1. When I first called Mr Ong, he set up a lesson for me, with whom I thought was him. So, as I posted before, it turned out that it wasn't him, but a Mr Wong, instead. Apparently he has a group of instructors working with him, and they call their school "Regent (Driving Centre)".

Ok, so that was fine. I had no beef with this since Mr Wong is a good instructor. He makes some throaty sound every once in a while, but that's no big deal. He's kinda funny, gives good clear instructions and so far answers all my questions satisfactorily.

When I called Mr Ong and told him that I was recommended him and I'd rather learn from him, instead of other instructors, he said, "Okay, nevermind, but I'm going on holiday, so you can learn from me after (a certain date that has already passed)." I figured Mr Wong's not bad, so okay, in the interim, I'll learn from him.

I called Mr Ong after he was back from his holidays and requested that he teaches me for my next lesson, and guess what? He says, "Oh, but I only teach Auto." Wtf. :mad: He knew and remembered that I was learning Manual, but he purposely lied to me previously and now suddenly told me that he only teaches Auto. :mad:

Since I've already paid the S$50 registration fee and Mr Wong is a rather good instructor (tonnes better than my previous instructor, no doubt), I figured, "Okay, that's fine. I'll just stick with Mr Wong." But I'm not happy with the roundabout way Mr Ong does his business. He probably figured (and rightly so) that I wouldn't even have gone for the first lesson if he had said upfront that he only teaches Auto and he'd get a different instructor to teach me. Sure Mr Wong turned out to be a good instructor, but I don't appreciate being lied to!

2. My 4th lesson just now. Since bookings are done via Mr Ong, I had called him and stated that I wanted to be taught by Mr Wong. Earlier in the afternoon, Mr Ong called and said that Mr Wong cannot teach me at that timing (2pm). He asked if I wanted to change to another day or try another instructor (whose English is not good, but can speak Malay) at 2:30pm. I already scheduled my stuff for the week, and didn't want to reschedule, so I told him I'll go with that other instructor. What a big mistake.

This guy, Mr Chng/Thng (dunno which), cannot teach. First things first, I was trying to adjust the left and right mirrors, but no matter which button I pressed, they refused to move. I've adjusted before (obviously) and knew I was doing the right thing. I told him, "I think the buttons are not working." He replied, "Working lah. Everybody say working, you alone say not working." Knn, accuse me. I was pissed off already. He was getting annoyed, and I was boiling, so I said, "Ok, nevermind, it's fine." The mirrors just needed a minor adjustment, so I just ignored them.

But off to a crappy start.

While I was learning with Mr Wong, I never hit the poles while parallel parking, but due to this guy's crappy guidance (he said left when he meant right a few times!), I hit the rear poles a few times. I got so annoyed. I wanted to just follow what Mr Wong taught me, but this guy kept saying different things. Also, with Mr Wong, I've never even grazed the edges of the S-course, but today I got so agitated that I went over the damned edges. Kns. S-course so easy, I can go up the edge.

Just so you know, I underwent military driving course, and passed, before. I couldn't clock the necessary mileage (since I was a Transport Supervisor), so I couldn't get the conversion from military license to civilian license. I basically know how to drive already, but I just haven't been driving for years (kept procrastinating getting my license lol) and lost touch.
So anyway... That's my story. Thanks for reading. lol.

I called Mr Ong just now to tell him that this Mr Chng/Thng (Cheng Thng lol) cannot teach, and asked why Mr Wong couldn't teach me just now. He ignored my question and just said, "Oh okay, nevermind, so next lesson is Mr Wong ah? Okay." -_-

I think quite a number of people have registered with Mr Ong due to my and leonard90's recommendations... I have now decided to stop giving people their contacts already. I don't support the way Regent (Driving Centre) does its business. lol. Mr Wong's still not bad though. Haha.

</rant>
hey was just wondering, what're the charges for Mr Ong/Mr Wong it's 90mins a lesson?? and you're learning Auto right? thanks :)

I'm learning Manual, but Mr Ong teaches Auto. You can choose 1.5 hrs or 1 hr. I've had both.

Last edited:

zuldevil

Reaction score
I am going to share this experience calmly with you guys.

Mr Law Ng Kwee (HP:9788 6270). He is a very old man (ard 60- 70).

I really damn sad to have such instructor. A lot of "wei qu". My plan now is to just endure it until the tp. If fail, I switch to school liao.

Bro, I suggest you switch private instructors right away, instead of waiting for TP. No use wasting more money on this guy. I mean, it's like you're giving away your money!

If I were in your position (which I was, not long ago), I'd research for good instructors and read reviews about them before deciding. Best still is if you know someone who has had personal experience with the instructor. A friend of mine recommended an instructor that her sister learned from, which I should've gone to... But since I couldn't contact my friend and her sister in time, I went with Mr Ong's "driving centre" instead.

I'm as yet undecided if I did the right thing. Haha.

leonard90

Reaction score
I've got some bone to pick with Mr Ong's driving school! Gather around, here my story. :x

<rant>
  1. When I first called Mr Ong, he set up a lesson for me, with whom I thought was him. So, as I posted before, it turned out that it wasn't him, but a Mr Wong, instead. Apparently he has a group of instructors working with him, and they call their school "Regent (Driving Centre)".

Ok, so that was fine. I had no beef with this since Mr Wong is a good instructor. He makes some throaty sound every once in a while, but that's no big deal. He's kinda funny, gives good clear instructions and so far answers all my questions satisfactorily.

When I called Mr Ong and told him that I was recommended him and I'd rather learn from him, instead of other instructors, he said, "Okay, nevermind, but I'm going on holiday, so you can learn from me after (a certain date that has already passed)." I figured Mr Wong's not bad, so okay, in the interim, I'll learn from him.

I called Mr Ong after he was back from his holidays and requested that he teaches me for my next lesson, and guess what? He says, "Oh, but I only teach Auto." Wtf. :mad: He knew and remembered that I was learning Manual, but he purposely lied to me previously and now suddenly told me that he only teaches Auto. :mad:

Since I've already paid the S$50 registration fee and Mr Wong is a rather good instructor (tonnes better than my previous instructor, no doubt), I figured, "Okay, that's fine. I'll just stick with Mr Wong." But I'm not happy with the roundabout way Mr Ong does his business. He probably figured (and rightly so) that I wouldn't even have gone for the first lesson if he had said upfront that he only teaches Auto and he'd get a different instructor to teach me. Sure Mr Wong turned out to be a good instructor, but I don't appreciate being lied to!
  2. My 4th lesson just now. Since bookings are done via Mr Ong, I had called him and stated that I wanted to be taught by Mr Wong. Earlier in the afternoon, Mr Ong called and said that Mr Wong cannot teach me at that timing (2pm). He asked if I wanted to change to another day or try another instructor (whose English is not good, but can speak Malay) at 2:30pm. I already scheduled my stuff for the week, and didn't want to reschedule, so I told him I'll go with that other instructor. What a big mistake.

This guy, Mr Chng/Thng (dunno which), cannot teach. First things first, I was trying to adjust the left and right mirrors, but no matter which button I pressed, they refused to move. I've adjusted before (obviously) and knew I was doing the right thing. I told him, "I think the buttons are not working." He replied, "Working lah. Everybody say working, you alone say not working." Knn, accuse me. I was pissed off already. He was getting annoyed, and I was boiling, so I said, "Ok, nevermind, it's fine." The mirrors just needed a minor adjustment, so I just ignored them.

But off to a crappy start.

While I was learning with Mr Wong, I never hit the poles while parallel parking, but due to this guy's crappy guidance (he said left when he meant right a few times!), I hit the rear poles a few times. I got so annoyed. I wanted to just follow what Mr Wong taught me, but this guy kept saying different things. Also, with Mr Wong, I've never even grazed the edges of the S-course, but today I got so agitated that I went over the damned edges. Kns. S-course so easy, I can go up the edge.

Just so you know, I underwent military driving course, and passed, before. I couldn't clock the necessary mileage (since I was a Transport Supervisor), so I couldn't get the conversion from military license to civilian license. I basically know how to drive already, but I just haven't been driving for years (kept procrastinating getting my license lol) and lost touch.
So anyway... That's my story. Thanks for reading. lol.

I called Mr Ong just now to tell him that this Mr Chng/Thng (Cheng Thng lol) cannot teach, and asked why Mr Wong couldn't teach me just now. He ignored my question and just said, "Oh okay, nevermind, so next lesson is Mr Wong ah? Okay." -_-

I think quite a number of people have registered with Mr Ong due to my and leonard90's recommendations... I have now decided to stop giving people their contacts already. I don't support the way Regent (Driving Centre) does its business. lol. Mr Wong's still not bad though. Haha.

</rant>

I'm learning Manual, but Mr Ong teaches Auto. You can choose 1.5 hrs or 1 hr. I've had both.

damn. My gf din even know that Mr Ong Dun teach manual at all !!
cos everytime he picks up the call and say till like is teach both !!!
so sorry for everyone who is manual and called Mr Ong :(
apologise sincerely..

zuldevil

Reaction score
damn. My gf din even know that Mr Ong Dun teach manual at all !!
cos everytime he picks up the call and say till like is teach both !!!
so sorry for everyone who is manual and called Mr Ong :(
apologise sincerely..

Yea, it's not your fault, though, leonard90. I don't blame you (or your gf) at all. :) It's really Mr Ong's questionable business practice. Due to this fact alone, I shan't be recommending him to anyone anymore.

Also, he keeps a crappy instructor (Mr Chng/Thng) and when I told Mr Ong that that instructor cannot teach, Mr Ong didn't really bother to find out what's the problem. If you were serious about your driving centre, wouldn't you want to keep a good circle of instructors with you? Questionable indeed.

mdindin

Reaction score
haha i did went for a few lesson with mr lai, private instructor... he was such a ****er... no patience come late leave early... really bad experience, bbdc system r organised and make sure u r well prepared for the test. i tink private instructor will try to drag the time n make u take more lessons with him so tat he can earn more money form u =D

i took 20 lessons with bbdc, tp, btt and ftt all pass 1st attempt spent bout 1.7k ++++ if u go private where got possibly let u take tp after only 20 lessons? he will say some crap to ask u take up revision lesson... -.=

i still rmb the big ****** mr lai once said to me: " u will sure fail tp one laaaaa, impossible 1st time pass tp, n he kept say bad things bout bbdc instructor... heard he was sack from bbdc -.=

Hey, is mr lai car plate number is 1763 and silver colour? Is he also bald at top part of head? If yes, means im scrwed man.

dominique88

Reaction score
Hey, is mr lai car plate number is 1763 and silver colour? Is he also bald at top part of head? If yes, means im scrwed man.

nv notice car plate number... but ya a silver honda city **** up old man with middle part botak... he not only **** up, he is damn damn damn **** up....

mdindin

Reaction score
nv notice car plate number... but ya a silver honda city **** up old man with middle part botak... he not only **** up, he is damn damn damn **** up....

DAMN damn damn. Im under him man. What happen to him until he so ****** up?

dominique88

Reaction score
DAMN damn damn. Im under him man. What happen to him until he so ****** up?

he has **** up attitude... sooner or later u'll realised it... he like to eat ur time... come late leave early -.= if u r a gal, take precaution, heard from one forumer he was sack from bbdc cuz he touch a girl trainee thigh, then the girl father punch him LOL... u can search earlier post to verify... good luck man...

Last edited:

oohman

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
he has **** up attitude... sooner or later u'll realised it... he like to eat ur time... come late leave early -.= if u r a gal, take precaution, heard from one forumer he was sack from bbdc cuz he touch a girl trainee thigh, then the girl father pinch him LOL... u can search earlier post to verify... good luck man...

:s13::s13::s13::s13:
10 chars...

aaur4man

Banned
Reaction score
helping a lady friend look for a reliable and experienced PDI who teaches with reference to the sch syllabus. around ang mo kio area. Class 3 auto.

she may tend to be slower, so need a patient one.

if you have any high recommendations, pls let me know.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.