Reminder: Do Not send car for pre-sales inspection

AL5509

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ic, actually can fight one, i feel. pre-inspection also does not cover every 10,001 component and function in the car... STA only states certain basic things... for sure, they won't check for tampering of odometer
This link:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/cars-cars-204/tampering-odometer-4301779-25.html

Posted since july 2013 wor.
Coming close to 3 years le.

AL5509

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
drink, but didn't drive ;)

Lolol relax, am not a flaming warrior thou.
Most not all guys here are old enough to know this(for their own good).

Rainy day, good weather to sleep after your drink ya.

Matjes

Banned
Reaction score
Hhhmm no hard feeling but that is almost as good as asking people to buy new car better right =×

Guess not alot of people believe it Lemon Law(guess this is the topic about?)?

Lemon law is more applicable to new parts. Used parts should not even be under the lemon law unless someone certifies the condition meet certain requirements within a certain timeframe.

Otherwise buyers with unrealistic approach to lemon law and quality will start to abuse this for their own good.

AL5509

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lemon law is more applicable to new parts. Used parts should not even be under the lemon law unless someone certifies the condition meet certain requirements within a certain timeframe.

Otherwise buyers with unrealistic approach to lemon law and quality will start to abuse this for their own good.

If so, the LAW should stated it straight as lot of grey zones, else when buyers of pre-owned vehicle may be expecting too much adding the lousy atittude of the after-sales services; everyone seem not to know what is Lemon law about.

trd2970

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Example 6 - Reasonable expectations of second-hand goods

• Someone buying a 10-year-old car from a dealer could not reasonably expect it to perform like a new car. However, he could expect it to perform in a manner that may be reasonably expected of a car of that mileage and model. If it does not perform as reasonably expected, the consumer can seek remedies from the dealer.
https://www.mti.gov.sg/legislation/...(Fair-Trading)-Act-and-Hire-Purchase-Act.aspx

it's written in the act: implies reasonable amount wear & tear based on mileage should be accepted by buyer... but this is a very grey area again... and makes it hard to enforce

trd2970

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the bottom-line is:
a) Lemon law has a lot of grey areas when it comes to used cars, so do not rely on lemon law - to be safe, assume it doesn't exist at all
b) Don't buy with eyes closed, do your due diligence
c) Even with all the preventive checks, there is always risk expected just be realistic, and you're dealing with very very seasoned dealers who make money out of buying low, selling high
d) If you can't live with (a)-(c), then save up and buy new

nfshp253

Reaction score
Think most people buying non-conti car left with less than 5 years wor.
The pre-owned you stated may sound abit on the higher side?

You mean there's no certified pre-owned for those? IIRC, Toyota has pre-owned.

of course, where possible, i believe people would like to buy new, but i think there are constraints for some like cash outlay

Yea, I concede that sometimes budget constraints may drive consumers to less-than-reputable car dealers. My thinking is that I'd rather have the comfort of knowing my car is free from hidden defects, than buy cheap and spend a lot of money fixing problems that weren't made known to me at the time of purchase.

HeadQuarters

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Side track abit;

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/t...ait-due-to-an-inconsiderate-driver?xtor=CS3-7

Look at this case thou, after an hour of handing the issue to the right authority, the van went off without any action taken.

All left with frustration for the driver(victim) to bear.

I saw one Bolehland video last year. The car that obstructed another car was bashed up n windows shattered. Video was taken by a resident staying in a block in front of the car.

Another video in Tiongland, the Range Rover driver simply bang the car obstructing its way. No damage to its car :s13:

li9ht5peed

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As long as human judges and lawyers are required, and as long as the legal process and sentencing cannot be automated, it means there are tonnes and tonnes of grey areas. Not just for used cars. There will always be people exploiting the system for profit, just like computers getting hacked.

If our PM banning official internet access is any indicator, it just means the dark side has prevailed. After 29 yrs from a humble beginning of teleview, which later gave rise to singnet, we are slowly going back into 'caves'. Its no joke out here in cyberspace. Scammers can simply pay for highly polished hacking tools which evolved for the past 20yrs.

Just like getting scammed online, there is no replacement for due diligence. Even then, many continue to get ripped off and the numbers can only increase. I mean are we hearing less cases of online scamming? No.... cases keep going up, leading to more people turning to the dark side for a living.

I am clueless what the authorities can do. Bear in mind if things tilt a certain way to please you, it may cause inconvenience to others and also make car ownership even more costly.

Stupid people will always have to pay more for the same thing.

Smart people will always pay less but their due diligence also costs time and money.

Lan par pa lan. So dont worry too much. There is no cure and buying a used car will always be a gamble.

walterwu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It would seems that if the car is send for pre-sales inspection, it would be considered as defects free even though the inspection is a visual inspection only.

The main reason for sending for pre-sales inspection is to see if car had major accident before.

This may open the door for dealer to mask the defects before sending for inspection and remove it after inspection is done.

HeadQuarters

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It would seems that if the car is send for pre-sales inspection, it would be considered as defects free even though the inspection is a visual inspection only.

The main reason for sending for pre-sales inspection is to see if car had major accident before.

This may open the door for dealer to mask the defects before sending for inspection and remove it after inspection is done.

Don't send for inspection oso cannot. Later a lot of problems n u dunno n drive it away only to realise got a lot of problems.

The best is just take it as lemon law is non-existent in used cars. Only buy from more established dealers n avoid those small dealers. Just let these small fries fold up. Survival of the fittest. Most of them are crooks anyway. :o

trd2970

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The thing is for used goods, it's much much greyer

As long as human judges and lawyers are required, and as long as the legal process and sentencing cannot be automated, it means there are tonnes and tonnes of grey areas. Not just for used cars. There will always be people exploiting the system for profit, just like computers getting hacked.

If our PM banning official internet access is any indicator, it just means the dark side has prevailed. After 29 yrs from a humble beginning of teleview, which later gave rise to singnet, we are slowly going back into 'caves'. Its no joke out here in cyberspace. Scammers can simply pay for highly polished hacking tools which evolved for the past 20yrs.

Just like getting scammed online, there is no replacement for due diligence. Even then, many continue to get ripped off and the numbers can only increase. I mean are we hearing less cases of online scamming? No.... cases keep going up, leading to more people turning to the dark side for a living.

I am clueless what the authorities can do. Bear in mind if things tilt a certain way to please you, it may cause inconvenience to others and also make car ownership even more costly.

Stupid people will always have to pay more for the same thing.

Smart people will always pay less but their due diligence also costs time and money.

Lan par pa lan. So dont worry too much. There is no cure and buying a used car will always be a gamble.

trd2970

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Inspection doesn't equal to defect free
It really depends on the scope of the inspection right?

doody_

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't send for inspection oso cannot. Later a lot of problems n u dunno n drive it away only to realise got a lot of problems.

The best is just take it as lemon law is non-existent in used cars. Only buy from more established dealers n avoid those small dealers. Just let these small fries fold up. Survival of the fittest. Most of them are crooks anyway. :o

I will probably have to agree with this. Don't rely too much on lemon law, it's a lemon itself :s13:

ck_ian69

Reaction score
Inspection is for mechanical defects etc whether involved in major accident before, chassis integrity, areas which are re-welded. As well as health of the car at that point in time. It doesn't give an indication as to what might fail in the coming months

A judge who says a passed inspection equates to clean bill of health needs go through a basic course in engineering. What a dumbass

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.