31 yo looking to start a network security career

Secureman

Reaction score
Bro, sorry if I sound offensive to you.

Age 50 could mean you have been through a lot, being said, you may held high position before.

I am not targeting at you but sharing my experience. I am working in security field and there were once whereby my colleague fall under your range. He shared the same situation as you but better in the way that he worked in security before.

But his thinking and behaviour are out of the world. He is holding same title as me, tried to boss every one around because of his age (include his boss) and worst, he don't accept other's opinion when it come to discussion. He is still living in the world whereby he is the boss and making the final say. Terribly hard to work with a narrow minded colleague with low results delivered.

I don't fault at my ex colleague because I may be in the same situation in the future.

Think twice if you wish to jump into a new field and be expected that you have to do **** work with a smile.
Hi seesiang

Thanks for your reply. Don't worry, I'm not offended by your words. Coincidentally, I'm in the same industry as you, though I do it as part-time relief, while studying for my IT diploma.

When I first started out as a guard, I met similar people. Luckily these even more elderly gentlemen than me didn't try to boss the rest of us. They were more prone to complaining about their low status (who wouldn't! :) ) but then continue by talking about their good old days, every chance they got.

The takeaway I have from these episodes is that I, like you are thinking, must avoid this mentality as I grow ever older. Like my other colleagues say, what's the use of talking about the past, it's the present and the future that counts, unless you got the medals or are like LKY - honoured by those around you.

Anyway, seesiang, thanks for the warning. So yes, I'm prepared to report to younger bosses, which I'm used to, by the way :).

And since I'm starting all over again, I expect to have more senior IT colleagues who are younger. Some of my lecturers are even younger than me, but I still give them respect, as they have the knowledge and are sincere in training the class.

I hope that when I finally get my first IT jobs, my bosses and colleagues will accept me and show me the ropes. And definitely I won't talk about the past, but focus on developing myself in IT.

Cheers, seesiang, and stay positive!

seesiang

Reaction score
Hi seesiang

Thanks for your reply. Don't worry, I'm not offended by your words. Coincidentally, I'm in the same industry as you, though I do it as part-time relief, while studying for my IT diploma.

When I first started out as a guard, I met similar people. Luckily these even more elderly gentlemen than me didn't try to boss the rest of us. They were more prone to complaining about their low status (who wouldn't! :) ) but then continue by talking about their good old days, every chance they got.

The takeaway I have from these episodes is that I, like you are thinking, must avoid this mentality as I grow ever older. Like my other colleagues say, what's the use of talking about the past, it's the present and the future that counts, unless you got the medals or are like LKY - honoured by those around you.

Anyway, seesiang, thanks for the warning. So yes, I'm prepared to report to younger bosses, which I'm used to, by the way :).

And since I'm starting all over again, I expect to have more senior IT colleagues who are younger. Some of my lecturers are even younger than me, but I still give them respect, as they have the knowledge and are sincere in training the class.

I hope that when I finally get my first IT jobs, my bosses and colleagues will accept me and show me the ropes. And definitely I won't talk about the past, but focus on developing myself in IT.

Cheers, seesiang, and stay positive!

:s13:

Physical security and digital security both pay well. I am at the digital security and my company do have a business unit for physical security. I am currently not at e-cop / quann or certis cisco.

Physical security = Best if you are an ex-police.

Secureman

Reaction score
:s13:

Physical security and digital security both pay well. I am at the digital security and my company do have a business unit for physical security. I am currently not at e-cop / quann or certis cisco.

Physical security = Best if you are an ex-police.
Hi seesiang,

Physical security only pays well if one is a APO or OM. The rest struggle to get a decent salary with super-long hours. The normal working hours exceed the MOM guideline of 72 O/T hours p.m. MOM even have to issue an O/T Exemption to security agencies to allow them to work their poor guards for 12hr shifts, 26 days a month. No wonder many guards look sleepy! Good luck if the Home Ministry expects these people to be ever vigilant and alert for ISIS!!

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bro, sorry if I sound offensive to you.

Age 50 could mean you have been through a lot, being said, you may held high position before.

I am not targeting at you but sharing my experience. I am working in security field and there were once whereby my colleague fall under your range. He shared the same situation as you but better in the way that he worked in security before.

But his thinking and behaviour are out of the world. He is holding same title as me, tried to boss every one around because of his age (include his boss) and worst, he don't accept other's opinion when it come to discussion. He is still living in the world whereby he is the boss and making the final say. Terribly hard to work with a narrow minded colleague with low results delivered.

I don't fault at my ex colleague because I may be in the same situation in the future.

Think twice if you wish to jump into a new field and be expected that you have to do **** work with a smile.

What happened to the ex colleague? he left or u left ?

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm one of those retrenched PMEs. Thinking to switch career to cyber security and planning to get a networking diploma first. Is 50 yo considered too old to take up a new cyber security career?

I know a guy who changed to IT field and do desktop support around 46 yrs old.. but pay very low below $2.5k only

i would say since u r retrenched and if you are jobless, you hv nothing to lose anyway.. as long as you don spend too much on the certs

you can consider to try out WDA professional conversion program for IT, they only just launched it this year. went for the talk earlier but they said they still trying to get employers on board, and it's still an unknown whether the program will be successful or not.

Machiavel

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nothing to lose

I'm one of those retrenched PMEs. Thinking to switch career to cyber security and planning to get a networking diploma first. Is 50 yo considered too old to take up a new cyber security career?

Secureman

Reaction score
I know a guy who changed to IT field and do desktop support around 46 yrs old.. but pay very low below $2.5k only

i would say since u r retrenched and if you are jobless, you hv nothing to lose anyway.. as long as you don spend too much on the certs

you can consider to try out WDA professional conversion program for IT, they only just launched it this year. went for the talk earlier but they said they still trying to get employers on board, and it's still an unknown whether the program will be successful or not.
Hi havetheveryfun,

The PCP talk you went to, is it at COMAT? I heard about it and understand they are launching the Cyber Security PCP now. I've sent in my application, hope to be successful!

Secureman

Reaction score
Nothing to lose
Hi Machiavel,

Thanks for the like.

I remember in my father's time, at 50+, it's time to relax, retire, play with the grandchildren and just chill at home, or if the wife gives black face, go down to the nearby kopitiam.

But times have changed, I'm still a slave to HDB mortgage and counting down the years when my kids finish school and go to work. Anyway, we must be flexible and prepare to change careers when necessary. So let's hope Cyber Security is kind enough to us old PMEs, especially if we got pink NRIC!!

SBC

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are simply too many pink IC holders as well. Zhen hu is not able to do wonder for all.

Need to self help & plan for one self.

seesiang

Reaction score
What happened to the ex colleague? he left or u left ?

Both of us are in contracts role.

I left for a permanent role whereby he believe he could convert to permanent.

We had 2-3 colleagues working for 3+ years in a contracts role and yet this fellow just joined for the first year and wish to fight for permanent.

Let his belief continue.

seesiang

Reaction score
Hi Machiavel,

Thanks for the like.

I remember in my father's time, at 50+, it's time to relax, retire, play with the grandchildren and just chill at home, or if the wife gives black face, go down to the nearby kopitiam.

But times have changed, I'm still a slave to HDB mortgage and counting down the years when my kids finish school and go to work. Anyway, we must be flexible and prepare to change careers when necessary. So let's hope Cyber Security is kind enough to us old PMEs, especially if we got pink NRIC!!

Pink NRIC?

So... ?

look at those big mnc. Who is their big head? Pink NRIC?

Secureman

Reaction score
Pink NRIC?

So... ?

look at those big mnc. Who is their big head? Pink NRIC?
I agree Cheng Hu don't look after us workers as well as other places. Just look at Indonesia - not easy to sack staff. I've heard from family and friends that FT bosses say they find it so easy to kick workers out in our little red dot. Look at our labour laws - don't even have to give a reason, just give 1 month's notice or salary in lieu and bye bye. Other places, try to do that and the company will be lucky that the unions will urgently seek meeting with the boss. Most likely there will be pickets and strikes.

And today's newspaper report that last year was a record year for retrenchment - 9,090 residents. How many were then replaced by cheaper FT? Meanwhilke, Manpower Ministry are looking at 100 companies which employ too many FT. Let's see what happens. But don't expect that the companies will be named. And I'm not eagerly waiting for the results of Manpower investigations.

But back to my remarks from yesterday. I'm think in cybersec, better to have locals due to the sensitive nature of the work. Especially if they are employed in Cheng Hu or GLC companies. What do you all think?

The net surfer

Reaction score

Is desktop support a good career to go into?

The net surfer

Reaction score
instead of coming to network security, head into software security.

Software security warrant a higher income and the demand / talents are little.

If you know your job well and like programming, this is the best of the world.

What does software security do? Does it involve programming?

I'm a 30 yo, and I've been doing accounting software implementation and support in the past five years, teaching user how to use the application software, and I realized that soon application support role will be no demand as soon as the software developed to a very user friendly stage.

Now I just joined into another software house, which is doing compliance software to prevent computer users misusing it. It includes functions that monitor the sensitive document, how user made changes to the document. I realized it's a very stable job, however it can't go to high paid. My role is doing QA (no coding involved) in the company, testing the new released version in various platforms and OS.

I desperately listen to more advice from you.

The net surfer

Reaction score
I'm a 30 going to 31 dude newbie who only knows the basic of Java and mySQL and zilch about software lifecycle and the like, what are the possible routes and career paths for me to get started in a future network security career?
(

I'm on the same age to you. If you're serious about going into software development career, I have a little bit worry about that. Because I hardly can see company out there hire programming-newbie who is over 30 yo. Perhaps I'm wrong about this.
If you are working on a full time job (non-programming related), it's hard for you to learn, because by the time you reach home, you can't get the concentration to learn the logic. Well, for me, learning up language such as Object-Oriented Programming requires a lot of math basic. You need to spend a long time to understand the notation.

ayamkampung

Reaction score
I'm a 30 going to 31 dude newbie who only knows the basic of Java and mySQL and zilch about software lifecycle and the like, what are the possible routes and career paths for me to get started in a future network security career?

Current plan is to save enough in my current job then get related certs like CompTia A+, CCNA and CCNA Security.
Another problem I foresee is experience and also wonder if employer will take someone without Diploma or Degree in IT. :(

Why do you want to go into network security ? it's a tough/matured industry with very little rewards. better look for voip ,etc..

kklim4

Reaction score
Well tread starter, I am in a similar situation like you or worst.
I am interested in IT field but end up choosing science which is not that interested.
Well, no matter how, determination is most important for everything.

werew01f

Reaction score

Current plan is to save enough in my current job then get related certs like CompTia A+, CCNA and CCNA Security.
Another problem I foresee is experience and also wonder if employer will take someone without Diploma or Degree in IT. :(

You should go into application security instead of network security since you have experience in programming.

Read up on OWASP and CSSLP. Application security is very important these days. Look at all the major hacking these days are from application layer, SQL injection, XSS, etc..

Who hack network these days??

my 2 cents

seesiang

Reaction score
You should go into application security instead of network security since you have experience in programming.

Read up on OWASP and CSSLP. Application security is very important these days. Look at all the major hacking these days are from application layer, SQL injection, XSS, etc..

Who hack network these days??

my 2 cents

The weakest link is your employees.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.