HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Advise on Networking Career Path

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #1

Advise on Networking Career Path

Greetings to all. Let me introduce myself first.
I am a dip(IT) fresh grad and just took up a networking job as Networking helpdesk support (Level 1).
I have been interested in Networking area, because of the hands on and on-site cases that is involved in the line of work.

I wish to further improve myself, but I do not know the exact options that are available for me and I was hoping that I can get those in the same field to advise me accordingly.

My plan is to further my studies next year, taking part time degree in Computer Science. However, I have checked the modules and found out that they are heavily programming based, which I do not have interest at all. Are there any alternative courses to pursue in the Networking sector?

In the meantime, I am planning to upgrade myself with certificates, either between CCNA and CompTIA. I am not sure if CompTIA is recognizable in the line of work compared to CCNA. However, I have checked that CompTIA covers generalized networking and troubleshooting, rather than CCNA which only conecntrates on CISCO routers.

Please advise as above, and the job advancement that I should look into.
Thanks!
Old 21-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #2

getting a degree is definitely a good start and that should be your first objective! Any degree in comp sci is ok for networking, even programming.

Most large companies uses Cisco routers, if you are with the big firms and/or support govt org you cannot escape from them. Just go get a Cisco cert. Then probably get another wireless cert while you are working and then go for a security certification in future. Then you will probably have the "full house". Which certs you go for will probably depend on the company products you supported before or have future "market" value.

But since you said you have no interest in prog, you should just take modules that are easier to pass and score. Like I said earlier, any good IT degree will do.
dplabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Supremacy Member

Hi TS ,

I am also having the similar goals as u , walking towards the Computer Networking Path.

- You should take a further approach in Cisco Certifications starting from CCNA , which is the min req...

- For Degree Probably u sh aim for degree like Information Systems Discipline if computer science is not your type..

- Can u care to share ur current Networking Helpdesk Job ?
Cos from what I know helpdesk has not much relevant scopes with networking job scopes ..
freakerzoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #4

Hi TS ,

I am also having the similar goals as u , walking towards the Computer Networking Path.

- You should take a further approach in Cisco Certifications starting from CCNA , which is the min req...

- For Degree Probably u sh aim for degree like Information Systems Discipline if computer science is not your type..

- Can u care to share ur current Networking Helpdesk Job ?
Cos from what I know helpdesk has not much relevant scopes with networking job scopes ..
Are you taking the above mentioned degree as well? If yes, which school and how are the modules like?

You are right. I don't feel that this job helps me to learn much in pursuing the networking path. The job scope requires me to remotely monitor different LAN/WAN networks, specifically routers, servers, access points, etc. and if there are any problems with the equipment (loss of connectivity, power trip), I would do basic command of pinging to them. Failure to ping successfully would require me to escalate the problem to respective Network Engineers(Level2) and at the same time track the problems via a Remedy problem tracking software.

I feel that this job is a waste of time as it doesn't utilize fully of what I have learnt for Diploma(Pinging a device? Any tom dick harry can do that!) and also I do not learn anything new. I was hoping to look for jobs which involves network implementation, server/router configurations and such, but was told that they required one with experience.

Any other jobs that allows for better exposure?
Old 21-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #5

You got to start somewhere. Hopefully, after one to two years in Level 1 support, they will move you up to Level 2.

I think getting your CCNA first will be a good start. Once you have it, you could ask for opportunities to try something new. If not, you can start looking elsewhere.

Network implementation is typically not for newbies. You could likely land in a router/switch configuration job and assist the network engineer in implementing a network. Once you have enough experience, then you can become a network engineer.

Some companies are willing to accept newbies for an assistant network engineer to configure the routers and switches.
dongdong88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #6

Hi all, sorry for asking this in this thread, but just wanna ask where can i sign up for the cisco courses u guys mentioned?
lamEduDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
Supremacy Member

Hi all, sorry for asking this in this thread, but just wanna ask where can i sign up for the cisco courses u guys mentioned?
There are plenty of training/testing centres now...
like New Horizion , Lithan , Strawberry ,Ienabler , many more etc...

Menawhile u can go to IDA Website check for the centres that are in citrep claim..
freakerzoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #8

you can also self-study and just go for the paper it will cost u around 300 plus. you can buy the exam voucher from pearsonvue
danielshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #9

Unfortunately, there are just too many CCXX out there. I've been working in this industry long enough to know that if u want to be a outstanding network engineer, u need to take all those programming and computer science classes. One of the fundament demand for network engineer is to design and troubleshoot. Without these background, I could hardly imagine how one can build or maintain the network. MOST (not all) CCXX I had seen out there do not have a clue of the fundamental, most just know how to configure a router without understanding the impact of each command and the logic behind why a network or it's software is build in a certain manner. Unless if u are thinking of just working a few years in this field then move into management or sales, taking a professional certification would be an okay approach. However, if u are thinking of establishing a long and fruitful career in this industry, I encourage you to go for the degree program (full time if possible). Remember, Computer science and programming is the building blocks of network engineering. Good luck.
ipevery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #10

I am also considering whether to pick up networking. my last job involves me with lots of telecom work, like ip phones & normal phone for alcatel PABX. quite interested in this line, should i pursue a furthur career in this track? pls enlighten me
TS: maybe you can consider BSc business information systems by Murdoch. currently taking to up my cert.
jk_eugenetay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #11

actually computer engineering is better or IT ?
prosate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 12:55 AM   #12

I am also considering whether to pick up networking. my last job involves me with lots of telecom work, like ip phones & normal phone for alcatel PABX. quite interested in this line, should i pursue a furthur career in this track? pls enlighten me
TS: maybe you can consider BSc business information systems by Murdoch. currently taking to up my cert.
How is the course like? Will check up on it. tks
Old 31-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #13

1st sem still alright, next Monday starting sem 2, it has an option to do a double major with cyber forensics. however, i decided to continue my diploma track, i chose marketing major instead.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #14

1st sem still alright, next Monday starting sem 2, it has an option to do a double major with cyber forensics. however, i decided to continue my diploma track, i chose marketing major instead.
hey, u doing BIS too? tonight is databases ?
chrispinsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #15

hey, u doing BIS too? tonight is databases ?
yes tonight databases
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.