HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Best way to learn ccna without going for courses

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
Master Member

Best way to learn ccna without going for courses

hey guys any recommendations on how to tackle the ccna exam without going for courses? i currently dun hv the money to fork out 2k for a course.
which books to recommend? cisco press better or sybex?

are there any simulators available? thanks.
swanpeach likes this.

Last edited by Ice_Milo1987; 10-04-2013 at 07:35 PM..
Ice_Milo1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 02:44 AM   #2

personally i would get the cisco book and chris bryant udemy video training + lab book that should be enough for you to pass and grasp the fundamentals
Trendnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 11:51 AM   #3

Hi, am intending to take CCNA by self study as well. so have similar questions as to what materials i should get to prepare for the exam. Have already gotten chris bryant's videos on udemy.. but i prefer hardcopy book to refer to.

Somebody mentioned cisco's books but i went to check and there are quite a few so maybe somebody can point me in the right directions? also, is it necessary to have physical switches etc to practice for the lab or will using a simulator be sufficient?
kennethtbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 02:07 PM   #4

There are two kind of way to do CCNA.

1) Understanding the concepts + applying it (LAB or packet tracer) + Dumps
2) Memorize dumps (Just remember the qns and answer and you will pass)

Personally what i did was i watch video tutorials from CBTNuggets(ICND1 & ICND2) From there you will understand deeper, the concepts on routing and switching. Once you get a grasp of it, apply in on packet tracer. CBTnuggets will provide you some scenarios for you to try too. Once youre comfortable with it, go read up on the dumps. Thats just to familiarize the questions that are on the CCNA exam.
poohsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 12:52 AM   #5

Book : CCNA Routing and Switching Study Guide: Exams 100-101, 200-101, and 200-120 by Todd Lammle

Videos : CCNA CBT Nuggets by Jeremy Cioara

For hands-on : Packet Tracer or GNS3(Recommended)

These 3 are the combos I recommend to few of my friends/colleagues and they have passed.

Make sure to review the latest official exam topics from cisco portal after you're done with the first three and before booking the exam.
Leaper_SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #6

CCNA here, here are the resources I used to get CCNA in under a
networklessons(dot)com is immensely helpful, easy to understand and very clear although it has a paywall ;(

I used GNS3 to practice OSPF, EIGRP and all the other router stuff

For switches, you can either use Cisco Packet Tracer or buy a few old Cisco Switches to practice. I personally used Cisco 2950X and they are awesome Real switches are good as you get to learn how to restore if you accidentally deleted ios etc. which cannot be learn thru packet tracer

Some of the CCNA questions are very tricky. You should consider doing some practice questions online before attempting the real exam.

Lastly, I personally take all my exams at NTUC Income Centre @ Bras Basah . Quick and fast. Computers there are good and pleasant experience every time. Remember to bring your IC + passport/driving license though, the first time I go only bring IC and cannot go in ;(

** Take 2 seperate exams, it's easier
warbear0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:46 AM   #7

CCNA here, here are the resources I used to get CCNA in under a
networklessons(dot)com is immensely helpful, easy to understand and very clear although it has a paywall ;(

I used GNS3 to practice OSPF, EIGRP and all the other router stuff

For switches, you can either use Cisco Packet Tracer or buy a few old Cisco Switches to practice. I personally used Cisco 2950X and they are awesome Real switches are good as you get to learn how to restore if you accidentally deleted ios etc. which cannot be learn thru packet tracer

Some of the CCNA questions are very tricky. You should consider doing some practice questions online before attempting the real exam.

Lastly, I personally take all my exams at NTUC Income Centre @ Bras Basah . Quick and fast. Computers there are good and pleasant experience every time. Remember to bring your IC + passport/driving license though, the first time I go only bring IC and cannot go in ;(

Everytime bring 1 IC + Credit Card with signature manage to go in . Now change liao?
paper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:44 AM   #8

Everytime bring 1 IC + Credit Card with signature manage to go in . Now change liao?
IC + Anything with your signature is allowed
warbear0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 10:41 PM   #9

Do you mean taking 100-105 ICND1 and 200-105 ICND2, rather than taking 200-125 CCNA?
DavidFhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 10:43 PM   #10
SBC
Supremacy Member

CCNA almost 20 years liao. Haha
SBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:23 AM   #11

sorry to hijack.
im interested in getting ccna certified and then ccnp and so on... My main concern is the need to keep getting certs and then retaking them to extend the expiry. If I have both ccna and ccnp, do i need to retake both ccna and ccnp? Coz imho it feels like paper chasing...
Aresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:27 AM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

sorry to hijack.
im interested in getting ccna certified and then ccnp and so on... My main concern is the need to keep getting certs and then retaking them to extend the expiry. If I have both ccna and ccnp, do i need to retake both ccna and ccnp? Coz imho it feels like paper chasing...
Go CCIE then. No prerequisite - you can take it straight without CCNA/CCNP
Lastexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:13 PM   #13
Master Member

Go CCIE then. No prerequisite - you can take it straight without CCNA/CCNP
where to take CCIE in sg?
sadistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:31 PM   #14

SG only have mobile lab ..
Normally go HK take.
paper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:37 PM   #15

CCIE Mobile lab - Dates

Leaper_SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.