• 1 Post By Kyoji83
  • 1 Post By OldSage
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-07-2017, 11:35 AM   #1

Dropped out before N level but want to take course

Hi guys,

As title states, I'm 20, currently working full time as entry IT support in website hosting, but I wish to improve myself faster in order to support my colleagues more as well as for my own benefit.

Is there any reputable IT school around that willing to take in people without N/O cert? If none, will I have to study 5 subjects @ GCE N levels to get cert?

Hoping to find part time course but full time can consider also, in Linux area preferably but security courses fine too.

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by RyanCMH; 26-07-2017 at 12:25 PM..
RyanCMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 02:48 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

1) All private schools want to earn money. So they always have those bridging courses for people like you who do not have GCE N/O before you can study their certificate & diploma courses. However most employers do not recognized certificate & diploma courses from private school. So you must study until a degree in order for employer to consider employing you.

2) You can also consider to take part time ITE courses such as Higher Nitec by entry tests since you have working experience. After ITE, you can use it to study part time polytechnic Diploma courses.

Hi guys,

As title states, I'm 20, currently working full time as entry IT support in website hosting, but I wish to improve myself faster in order to support my colleagues more as well as for my own benefit.

Is there any reputable IT school around that willing to take in people without N/O cert? If none, will I have to study 5 subjects @ GCE N levels to get cert?

Hoping to find part time course but full time can consider also, in Linux area preferably but security courses fine too.

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
RyanCMH likes this.
Old 26-07-2017, 03:58 PM   #3

Hi Kyoji, thanks, I'll definitely consider your second point, I'll research on the entry requirements for the ITE courses later, hopefully I'm eligible. Wasted enough years liao.
Old 28-07-2017, 04:18 PM   #4

If you are working in an IT Hosting company it would good to start off with a IT certification. You can either go for Comptia N+ or Security+. It really depends on your interest if it's network or server.

From there you can branch out to various IT certifications based on your path. At the same time you can do part-time "O" levels or "ITE". Generally paying for an IT course will be much more expensive than doing a self study. There are lots of resources on the net to do self-study.
RyanCMH likes this.
OldSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 03:51 PM   #5
Supremacy Member

How long have you been working in your current company ?

Is it a good environment where you can forsee yourself working there for at least a few more years?

If so, the best people to ask for advice would be your bosses or superiors or colleagues.

If you have been working there for at least 1-2 years plus, I think it's ok to bring up to your boss that you would like to further your studies to be able to help the team. Perhaps ask him which area do he need help most in (or maybe you can observe which area the company needs help most in then search for the related courses accordingly).

What's more, company sponsored applicants for courses get a whole lot more subsidies compared to signing up on your own.

But to be honest, courses only teach that much. If you have colleagues who are willing to teach and guide you, you can probably learn much more from them compared to going for courses.
havetheveryfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:39 AM   #6

How long have you been working in your current company ?

Is it a good environment where you can forsee yourself working there for at least a few more years?

If so, the best people to ask for advice would be your bosses or superiors or colleagues.

If you have been working there for at least 1-2 years plus, I think it's ok to bring up to your boss that you would like to further your studies to be able to help the team. Perhaps ask him which area do he need help most in (or maybe you can observe which area the company needs help most in then search for the related courses accordingly).

What's more, company sponsored applicants for courses get a whole lot more subsidies compared to signing up on your own.

But to be honest, courses only teach that much. If you have colleagues who are willing to teach and guide you, you can probably learn much more from them compared to going for courses.
1. I've been working there as a customer tech support for slightly more than a week now.

2. Pretty good environment yes, and I can definitely see myself working there for the long term, but obviously I would rather not get complacent with my current skillset and qualifications so I wish to further improve myself by studying for diplomas or certs.

3. The boss's a really awesome guy, along with my colleagues, they offered to mentor me in the tech aspects whenever possible which is a great thing. Each department are more than capable to handle things but I wish to improve myself for my future as well.

4. Yep I get that, not really in a big hurry to study, just lookin for courses so I can compile them and submit my applications when the time comes.

5. Just going to the courses for my resume to look good mah, and learning as much as I can too. Experience and qualifications combined should widen my range in job searching a fair bit.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.