HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Hotel diploma to IT degree possible? Advice needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2017, 03:28 AM   #1

Hotel diploma to IT degree possible? Advice needed

Hello, I will be graduating soon with a diploma in hotel management while my interest lies in IT. I have always been interested in coding, programming, cybersecurity since young. Hoping to pursue my interest after graduation.

I would like to seek opinions on:
1) Is there any way I can bridge this gap? Eg. Certification courses, building an IT foundation.
2) Which university/bachelors degree in IT would you recommend the newbie hopefuls to pursue?
3) Realistically speaking, what are the job prospects for the cyber security and programming field?
4) Currently looking at SIM-UOW Digital Systems Security and Kaplan-Murdoch Double Majors in Cyber security & management/computer sci. Would it be too heavy for people with 0 background?
5) My parents are quite concerned about the chances of being able to work in the public sector after getting the degree. Is there someone who can shed light on this?

Thank you.

Last edited by quillpig; 19-08-2017 at 03:50 AM..
quillpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 02:18 PM   #2

Hello, I will be graduating soon with a diploma in hotel management while my interest lies in IT. I have always been interested in coding, programming, cybersecurity since young. Hoping to pursue my interest after graduation.

I would like to seek opinions on:
1) Is there any way I can bridge this gap? Eg. Certification courses, building an IT foundation.
2) Which university/bachelors degree in IT would you recommend the newbie hopefuls to pursue?
3) Realistically speaking, what are the job prospects for the cyber security and programming field?
4) Currently looking at SIM-UOW Digital Systems Security and Kaplan-Murdoch Double Majors in Cyber security & management/computer sci. Would it be too heavy for people with 0 background?
5) My parents are quite concerned about the chances of being able to work in the public sector after getting the degree. Is there someone who can shed light on this?

Thank you.
Both Degree course not easy if you don't have solid IT foundation .
paper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #3

Programming without background is not easy to learn, cyber security is even harder. I've got a friend who retained and retake 3 times his IT SEC modules before graduating from SIM UOW. Each retake are few months apart. Be prepared to memorize lots of code and syntax for programming related, theories & math calculation for IT Sec.

Other thing to take note, what do you want to be after you graduate? Web developer, software engineer, cybersecurity engineer etc? Usually recommended to be specialize in field and not both.
Old 19-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

66 year old auntie did it
sanzhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 10:01 AM   #5

66 year old auntie did it
Learning curve is steep. Maybe she've been practicing on her own before taking up the course.

Anyways, be prepared to memorize memorize memorize, practice practice practice
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.