Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Learning UNIX in Singapore

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-07-2010, 10:52 PM   #1

Learning UNIX in Singapore

It's me again.

I had a talk with a friend recently. I work as system admin, all wintel machines. During the chat, I told him that I am kinda tired of doing user support day in day out, facing selfish, nasty end users. I am supposed to be managing servers (network equipments as well), but the one and only helpdesk/user support staff cannot cope with 300 over users in the company, overloaded, so he just pushed to me, because I am the next in line. The result is, 70% of my time and effort are spent on end users, rather than my own projects.

This friend suggested that I pick up UNIX, then find the opportunity to change track into UNIX computing. At least, I can be sure that I no need to deal with end users if I am administrating UNIX system.

I did some search. I can only find HPES offering UNIX course (5 days, $2500) in Singapore. What about other alternatives? Is there any other institute offering such courses? There are a lot of self learning material online, but, are those enough?
iamindoubt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 11:03 PM   #2

3 major UNIX operating systems in Singapore, IBM AIX, Solaris and HPUX.
or you may consider Redhat Linux as well.
Old 22-07-2010, 11:51 PM   #3
Master Member

It's me again.

I had a talk with a friend recently. I work as system admin, all wintel machines. During the chat, I told him that I am kinda tired of doing user support day in day out, facing selfish, nasty end users. I am supposed to be managing servers (network equipments as well), but the one and only helpdesk/user support staff cannot cope with 300 over users in the company, overloaded, so he just pushed to me, because I am the next in line. The result is, 70% of my time and effort are spent on end users, rather than my own projects.

This friend suggested that I pick up UNIX, then find the opportunity to change track into UNIX computing. At least, I can be sure that I no need to deal with end users if I am administrating UNIX system.

I did some search. I can only find HPES offering UNIX course (5 days, $2500) in Singapore. What about other alternatives? Is there any other institute offering such courses? There are a lot of self learning material online, but, are those enough?
do take note the learning curve is higher for *nix Platforms.
Did you complete your MCITP:SA already?
You sounded more like a jaded sys admin though
Old 23-07-2010, 02:45 AM   #4

My take on learning Unix is to start from Linux or BSD. They are Unix clones and mimic almost the same command spread as Unix.

It's a totally different animal but it can be self-taught (no need to attend any course).

Try http://www.google.com/linux or http://www.google.com/bsd

I think there will be end-users no matter what servers you manage, maybe just different groups of people. So will this help you attain your goal even?

Last edited by Gentooist; 23-07-2010 at 03:01 AM..
Gentooist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #5

what makes you so sure that there's no end-user support in UNIX environment? :p
Old 24-07-2010, 09:50 AM   #6

Yes, I am kind of jaded with my current job scope, or jobs out of my scope.

Can really self learn?

I understand that there will be end users in every environment, but I guess working as UNIX admin/engineer, will not have to face problems like "my outlook hang", "my printer cannot print", ect, right? Or, I am wrong?
Old 24-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #7

Can really self learn?

I understand that there will be end users in every environment, but I guess working as UNIX admin/engineer, will not have to face problems like "my outlook hang", "my printer cannot print", ect, right? Or, I am wrong?
You can more than definitely pick up Unix by yourself. It isn't that difficult; you just need to understand some basic concepts behind how it works. A quick search on Google should offer you insights into the abundance of tutorials on UNIX out there.

Last edited by KwekMH; 24-07-2010 at 04:12 PM..
KwekMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 12:52 AM   #8
Master Member

Can really self learn?

Well, end users problems are still there...
if they cannot connect to CAD programs; you are still the one to find

In any system admin line of job, you will be required to do from lvl 1 to 3 one

cannot siamz one
Old 23-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #9

hi... i am in doubt 2.... can anyone recommend anything like pro cert and school to take up unix? cant find much on google.... pls help. Thanks.
Benson2098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #10

I'm certified in Solaris10. Maybe you can try out this. Took the course at ECS.
Old 24-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #11

just go and download solaris 10 from oracle.com, it's free.
freshmeat143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #12

Setup your own *NIX-based network of computers and manage those

Hi,

Just an added suggestion, try setting up 3-4 computers (mix of laptop and PCs) at home and manage those systems from a main Unix-based (Solaris, Linux-flavors etc). The nodes computers don't have to be new ones, and a mix of Windows/*Nix computers brings different SysAdm issues to it.

I know some of the Sun (a division of Oracle) certified pros here are recommending Solaris (which has a lot of online forums that helps answers issues/queries), but feel that Solaris can be a bit more "heavy" at home-network compare to some of the Linux variant (e.g. Ubuntu) to start of with.

Important thing is to learn while having fun. :-)
edkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #13

Go online to look for "self training unix" materials

A quick G search turn up this link:
www.kegel.com/linux/training.html

Search/hunt/look around online. You should find some tutorials that's useful for you to start off.

cheers + have fun!
edkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 10:31 PM   #14

I just registered the RHCT course from SP, to get start.

Just curious, many of you here recommended Solaris, how about HPUX? It is not good? Actually I am thinking to take HPCES course after RHCT......
Old 30-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #15

Its not that different. Basic commands are still the same. You will find yourself at advantage if you know redhat already. I feel that you can self learn the other OSes after your redhat course. I self learnt debian ubuntu and redhat.
Scythe#6219
nanhaizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.