New years eve events

bobbly

Reaction score
I'm Australian and have decided to come to Singapore this year for Christmas and the new year.

I've been reading these forums for awhile but thought this would be a good time to join.

I am thinking of spending Christmas central and going to Sentosa for new years eve at this stage but my plans are in the early stages (I'm in still planning).

What is everyone else planning for new years eve and are there any must go locations?

Hamton

Reaction score
I'm Australian and have decided to come to Singapore this year for Christmas and the new year.

I've been reading these forums for awhile but thought this would be a good time to join.

I am thinking of spending Christmas central and going to Sentosa for new years eve at this stage but my plans are in the early stages (I'm in still planning).

What is everyone else planning for new years eve and are there any must go locations?
I will recommend to spend Christmas around Orchard road for the christmas decorations and as for New Year's Eve, there will be celebrations around Singapore, including Sentosa.

Minister

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
bring along a camera, anywhere in singapore is magnificent. I hope you enjoy your stay here!

bobbly

Reaction score
I will recommend to spend Christmas around Orchard road for the christmas decorations and as for New Year's Eve, there will be celebrations around Singapore, including Sentosa.

For Christmas I had read the ocean road decorations are fantastic so had planned on spending a few days around Christmas there, probably at the Shangri la. I'll just look around and enjoy the food then.

I wasn't sure if there was a standout thing to do or place to go for New years Eve but from what I'd read Sentosa had seemed good for new years Eve,

I'm be sure to pack my camera, Minister. I think there will be some great photos.

I've never been to Singapore before and think this will be a great time of year for my first visit.

Hamton

Reaction score
For Christmas I had read the ocean road decorations are fantastic so had planned on spending a few days around Christmas there, probably at the Shangri la. I'll just look around and enjoy the food then.

I wasn't sure if there was a standout thing to do or place to go for New years Eve but from what I'd read Sentosa had seemed good for new years Eve,

I'm be sure to pack my camera, Minister. I think there will be some great photos.

I've never been to Singapore before and think this will be a great time of year for my first visit.
You're right, for Christmas you can't missed the road decorations along Orchard road. As for Sentosa, I think you have to pay for the events for New Year's Eve party and countdowns.

Just like what Minister said, everywhere in Singapore is magnificent. Enjoy your stay!

bobbly

Reaction score
As for Sentosa, I think you have to pay for the events for New Year's Eve party and countdowns.

It looks like I won't be going to Sentosa for new years eve now.

I just tried to book accommodation and all the hotels I checked were booked out. I had guaranteed room at a few places but they were either blacked out or crazy markup.

Whats a good area in the city to stay that will have things going on and be busy?

Hamton

Reaction score
Perhaps you can look out for the fireworks around Marina Bay on New Year's Eve.

bobbly

Reaction score
I find New Years Eve a hard time to plan a visit to a different country but Singapore is particularly difficult.

Many hotels are already showing booked out for 31 December and the remaining ones are priced crazy.

The reason I'm not keen on watching the fireworks at Marina Bay is I'd be lost and not really have much to do afterwards. Thats why I thought it would be good to start a thread and ask what the locals are planning.

I'm traveling on my own as a get away for Christmas break.

Last edited:

Hamton

Reaction score
I believe the prices for most hotels will chalked up twice around festive periods, like on the eve of Christmas and New Year. You can stay around city areas like Orchard, Marina Bay, Bugis, Chinatown or Clarke Quay.

New Year's Eve in Singapore is all about countdown, fireworks and parties at night. There's so much things you can do afterwards, maybe trying out local foods for supper at Lau Pa Sat in the city.

bobbly

Reaction score
New Year's Eve in Singapore is all about countdown, fireworks and parties at night. There's so much things you can do afterwards, maybe trying out local foods for supper at Lau Pa Sat in the city.

I'll stay at the Sofitel on Saturday so I can go to Lau Pa while I'm in Singapore.

I'm still undecided between the Marina or Sentosa island for new years Eve. It seems either will cost a lot for accommodation. :(

Hamton

Reaction score
I'll stay at the Sofitel on Saturday so I can go to Lau Pa while I'm in Singapore.

I'm still undecided between the Marina or Sentosa island for new years Eve. It seems either will cost a lot for accommodation. :(
Sofitel is in a good location actually and La Pa Sat is just around the corner. It's convenient to go around city and Sentosa is quite near as well.

bobbly

Reaction score
Sofitel is in a good location actually and La Pa Sat is just around the corner. It's convenient to go around city and Sentosa is quite near as well.

That's good to hear because i was unsure about the area as reviews were saying it was a business district and I was worried it would be hard to get around.

I also booked 31 dec - 1 jan at the Singapore Resort & Spa Sentosa so I'll be going there for new years eve.

In the middle I'm spending a few nights in the Orchard Road area so i can see that area easily.

I'm pretty relieved now I've got most of my accommodation booked i can look into things to do, go and places to eat.

Hamton

Reaction score
That's good to hear because i was unsure about the area as reviews were saying it was a business district and I was worried it would be hard to get around.

I also booked 31 dec - 1 jan at the Singapore Resort & Spa Sentosa so I'll be going there for new years eve.

In the middle I'm spending a few nights in the Orchard Road area so i can see that area easily.

I'm pretty relieved now I've got most of my accommodation booked i can look into things to do, go and places to eat.
It is located in the business district, well there are buses and MRT nearby and it can get you anywhere easily.

Nice to hear that you have your accommodation booked and get your itinerary planned next. Enjoy your stay in Singapore!

bobbly

Reaction score
I'll spend my first few days getting used to the public transport so I can get around for the rest of my stay. I hear Singapore public transport is very good.

Thanks for you help wand best wishes. I'm really looking forward to seeing Singapore.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.