HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

PlayStation VR (USD$399 MSRP, available Oct 2016)

Like Tree162Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #16
Greater Supremacy Member

VR only works well with First person view..

not a fan of first person view.. so most likely skipping this.
Swordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 10:16 PM   #17
Master Member

I don't think there was any details given about FFXV VR right? It could be just a small side story designed specifically for VR, it could be that the whole FFXV game can be played using VR (but at a lower res/fps) while still using standard DS4 for input. Until details are announced, personally I don't count FFXV as a factor.

True .. .very true. After all FF XV prides itself on graphics .. why ruin it with a sub par VR.
galliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 10:15 AM   #18

The price is absurd. I am sort of a Sony fanboy with PS1, PS2, PS4, PSP, PS Vita, Sony Bravia TV, 2x Sony Xperia smartphones, plus many other stuff like Walkman etc. in the past. I can afford this but doesn't mean I should throw my money away.

Same thing why I didn't get PS3 or buy Apple products.
Paper_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 10:17 AM   #19
Arch-Supremacy Member

sony really wan to suck all the money.

VR cost the same or even more expensive than the console. WTF. Even samsung VR sells cheaper...

added accessories will just push even much higher$$$$$$$$

Last edited by tansux; 29-07-2016 at 10:20 AM..
tansux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 11:51 AM   #20
Master Member

Have you seen the HTC Vive and Oculus prices (PC only)? And they don't already have accessories for motion sensing, so those new accessories are mandatory purchases (Playstation already has the camera and Move controllers, which many users already own). Not to mention that you probably need to get a completely new PC gig to support it anyway (or get a new graphics card that costs more than the PS4+PSVR).

Samsung VR is comparing apple to oranges, it just mobile phone graphics, and it doesn't actually have its own display - you just stick you phone into the goggle and look at the phone in front of your eyes, that's all. And all you can do is move your head to control the game (cos the phone is already inside the goggle, you can't touch the screen to play games) or buy a bluetooth accessory to play. If want to compare, Samsung VR should be compared to other Android VR like Google's cardboard VR, which can be bought at around US$2 (yes, TWO DOLLARS, or less) for actual 'cardboard' version, or US$15 to $20 for better made full devices.
ckleow79 likes this.
PierceLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 12:05 PM   #21

Comparing Samsung Gear VR to PSVR, HTC Vive etc. is a bit of a stretch I agree. However, in my opinion Oculus Rift and HTC Vive's pricing is even more ridiculous. PSVR is just less so but still ridiculous nonetheless.
Paper_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 12:20 PM   #22
Master Member

Exactly, bottomline is that the price of admission to VR is very high, unless you want to play with the 'toys' type of VR. If you want to experience something more 'real', the PSVR is still expensive but lower than others, and probably offers more games (actual games instead of short mini-game collection, indie games, minimalist graphics, or tech demos).

The question is whether this is a good time to go in, considering that the price is high. Also consider that the tech, while it is more mature and is ready-for-market, is still new. Think about all those wires sticking out (you practically need to have someone standing next to you to help manage the wires), or what earphone/headsets (possibly more wires) to use (should they be integrated?). Surely some time down the road someone is going to come up with a new HDMI 4.0 interface or something that puts everything in one cable. Or everything goes wireless with a dual-wireless HDMI interface setting or such. There's still a long way to go. There's always a (high) price to pay for being early adopter, if you choose to be one.
wc1985 likes this.
Old 30-07-2016, 05:27 PM   #23
Master Member

If you are playing a VR game that does not have Move support (like RE7, only uses only the DS4 controller), do you still need to have the camera and Move?
Old 31-07-2016, 06:55 PM   #24
Supremacy Member

If you are playing a VR game that does not have Move support (like RE7, only uses only the DS4 controller), do you still need to have the camera and Move?
Camera is mandatory for vr.

wc1985 likes this.
ckleow79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #25

Just tried the PSVR demo booth at 313 Sony Centre. The headset is very comfortable to wear, not heavy. there is a need to adjust the angle of the visor to sharpen the visuals, but once that is done, you are good to go.

I was given the underwater shark demo and battlezone. Maybe because I already know what to expect, so the scare factor wasnt there, but the visuals are still good. No visible screendoor effect. Battlezone was fun. The turning and shooting is basically arcade tank shooter POV, switch between machine guns and rockets. Towards the end, there is swarm of flying drones, so have to wait a while for the EMP weapon to charge. Simple and yet sharp visuals that work very well.

My wife went with me, she also said it was good and very immersive. Good to let the spouse try, hehe.
ckleow79 likes this.

Last edited by DrBaldwin; 02-08-2016 at 02:28 PM..
DrBaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:04 PM   #26
Supremacy Member

Just tried the PSVR demo booth at 313 Sony Centre. The headset is very comfortable to wear, not heavy. there is a need to adjust the angle of the visor to sharpen the visuals, but once that is done, you are good to go.

I was given the underwater shark demo and battlezone. Maybe because I already know what to expect, so the scare factor wasnt there, but the visuals are still good. No visible screendoor effect. Battlezone was fun. The turning and shooting is basically arcade tank shooter POV, switch between machine guns and rockets. Towards the end, there is swarm of flying drones, so have to wait a while for the EMP weapon to charge. Simple and yet sharp visuals that work very well.

My wife went with me, she also said it was good and very immersive. Good to let the spouse try, hehe.
Yep. I tried it last year during gamestart.asia and i was sold....
I advise peeps that are on the fence to go try it out.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #27
Supremacy Member

Purchased this PS camera mount from taobao
S$8 (not including shipping)

https://world.taobao.com/item/524587...820.0.0.2AHR5W
Old 02-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #28

The PS4 camera already comes with a camera mount, in fact looks exactly like the one in your pic. Why need to buy another?
DrBaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:27 PM   #29
Supremacy Member

The PS4 camera already comes with a camera mount, in fact looks exactly like the one in your pic. Why need to buy another?
thanks for informing....
I thought it does not come with mount.
googled for the unboxing, it really does have the same one.
i go cancel order now.
DrBaldwin likes this.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:44 PM   #30
Arch-Supremacy Member

sony really wan to suck all the money.

VR cost the same or even more expensive than the console. WTF. Even samsung VR sells cheaper...

added accessories will just push even much higher$$$$$$$$
c'mon lah....comparing PSVR to Gear VR pricing is so stupid.....there are totally different in terms of graphic fidelity and the games..

HTC Vive = Nascar Race Car

Occulus Rift = Ferrari

Playstation VR = Honda Civics

Gear VR = Proton Scooter/China-branded Segway

Google Cardboard = BMX
ckleow79 likes this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.