American Express Rewards Card

naruto13

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i was declined two time too.
till it was approved after the relation card manager approach me directly and submit my form on my behalf.

2 cards application was submitted, only 1 was approved lol.
seems AMEX is very strict.

kellwx

Reaction score
i was declined two time too.
till it was approved after the relation card manager approach me directly and submit my form on my behalf.

2 cards application was submitted, only 1 was approved lol.
seems AMEX is very strict.

How did the RCM approached you? Do you have his/her no.? :s12:
Or can you PM me? Thanks!

naruto13

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no clue why i was approach after getting 2 rejection.
will pm u the email and number.
the rest is ur luck if u really need amex card.

kellwx

Reaction score
:love:

I've got the invitation sent to me too, and when I sent in for the application, they rejected me.. dots..

Thanks for the info! :s13:

naruto13

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i also duno how it approve. make no difference. now the new rewards sign up initial benefit not good too.

unless u need its brand. else its just another normal CC for me which i wont use anyway.

kellwx

Reaction score
But I heard it can be upgraded to the platinum card if you use the rewards card very frequent with high spending :s13:

naruto13

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if u read the other thread, how useless is the platinum card if u cant get the 10+10.
and provided u spend alot.

forgot is 10+10 is only for their invited platinum cardholer only, super gimmicks if u look at their english. despise such marketing tactics. got 1 forumer kena.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=3246440&page=4

nv really go count for normal usage convert to KFM is worth it not like most ppl r doing.

alternative use manhattan to clock 5% and/or scb extrasaver for 2% lo. and its cashback, so not that bad.

kellwx

Reaction score
I'm interested in getting the Feed@Raffles, and other benefits for holding the card :s13:
In terms of point or miles, I'm using DBS Altitude or Citi PremierMiles ;D

darlene

Reaction score
For the supplementary card, is the 5 favourite places going to be the same as the main card?

planetshaker

Reaction score
AMEX MR value

One of the advantages of AMEX Cards is their MR (member rewards) points can be transferred to hotel programs which can yield better value.

No other CC in SG can normally transfer to hotel reward programs.

Suppose you get 24k MR after $1500 spend (3 months 100% + 21k bonus) for AMEX rewards.

If you transfer to HHonors (hilton), you get 24k x 1.25 = 30k HH points. You pay $20 transfer fee.

For HHonors, there are pointstretcher hotels that can be redeemed worldwide for 40% less points.

http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/rewards/psdates.do

Suppose you want to stay at Doubletree KL for 2 nights for 23-26th Sep 2011. Each night in 1-King deluxe room cost 16,599 points. 2 x nights = 33,198 HHonor points.

The BAR rate is RM$375, add 16% tax is RM$435. 2 x nights = RM$870. Why compare to BAR rate? Coz HHonor reward redemption can be cancelled with no penalty 1 day before the actual date, same as the BAR rate.

so RM$870 = SGD$355 (2.45 conversion rate)

So your 30k HH points are worth ( $355 / 33,198 ) x 30k = SGD$320

Minus off your $50 annual fee and $20 conversion fee, your 30k HH / 24k MR is worth $250.

In case you want to transfer to Starwood, you can redeem for high value properties such as W Taipei for points and cash and can get at least US$300 value for your 24k MR.

You might say you have only 30k HH after spending $1.5k, so how about the balance 3,198 points? that is equivalent to 2560 MR points so you can spend $520 at 5x merchants during Xtraordinary weekends or you can spend $1280 more during your 1st 3 months to get the points or just spend on other expenses slowly to accumulate the points.

If you really want to buy the extra 3200k points from HHonor, just pay SGD$50 to buy it direct from HHonors.

======

How to reduce your HH points expense -

The previous example was for 2pax. But if you select 1 pax, the same room would only cost 15,946 HH points.

When you enroll in HHonor, you automatically get BLUE Tier membership. For BLUE, spouse stays FREE in the room. So you book for 1 pax, and 2 pax can stay -

https://secure3.hilton.com/en_US/dt/reservation/book.htm?execution=e1s1

So for 2 nights is 15,946 x2 = 31,892 HH points

so you would need 1,892 HH points more only if you have just 24K MR. That will just cost you SGD$32 to buy.

=======

Have fun with your MR!

Last edited:

purin83

Reaction score
hey, i got the american express rewards card letter today. i was surprised as i never apply for it before..

how did american express get my name and home address??

i only use posb and i cancelled my debit mastercard a long ago.

did posb give my info to american express? or what? do i have to report to posb or can i ignore it?

sorry if i seem to make a fuss but it is better to be cautious since there are scams, etc.

many thanks.

naruto13

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hey, i got the american express rewards card letter today. i was surprised as i never apply for it before..

how did american express get my name and home address??

i only use posb and i cancelled my debit mastercard a long ago.

did posb give my info to american express? or what? do i have to report to posb or can i ignore it?

sorry if i seem to make a fuss but it is better to be cautious since there are scams, etc.

many thanks.

u wont know who give AE what. best is to call the AE directly and cancel. get them to ans y u receive card when u nv sign up.

seem if they can provide u the reason instead?

purin83

Reaction score
@ naruto13, nono it is a misunderstanding.

the letter is about the message from Vice President, together with the application form and the info about the best cardmembership.

what freaked me most of all is the "printed" name and address of mine which are on the application form. It is abnormal. We do handwrite our name and address in big captial letter on application form, right?

hmmm. so, do i still have to call american express? ask to remove my personal details in case they send me letter again?

sqgator

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in getting the Feed@Raffles, and other benefits for holding the card :s13:
In terms of point or miles, I'm using DBS Altitude or Citi PremierMiles ;D

Don't bother with Feed @ Raffles. The restaurants at those 3 hotels treat members like dirt, better off as normal paying customers if you really have to go to those restaurants (not that they are any good). One would think that they would treat pre-paying members better but that's not the case.

$Money$

Reaction score
AMEX CC is a must have. Their rewards are ridiculously good. In fact its so good sometimes i feel like buying big ticket items just to score points, lame right, ya i know.

Anyhow, how does AMEX does this when no other banks can? Simply, all these additional fees are bourne by the merchants. If i'm not mistaken AMEX takes a 6% cut off merchants while standard CC takes 2%-4%. (do correct me if im wrong)

Good. I take freebies, other people pay.

sneggg

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
AMEX CC is a must have. Their rewards are ridiculously good. In fact its so good sometimes i feel like buying big ticket items just to score points, lame right, ya i know.

Anyhow, how does AMEX does this when no other banks can? Simply, all these additional fees are bourne by the merchants. If i'm not mistaken AMEX takes a 6% cut off merchants while standard CC takes 2%-4%. (do correct me if im wrong)

Good. I take freebies, other people pay.

amex takes 3-3.5%, visa master 2-2.5%

sneggg

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i recd letter from amex to sign up for this krisflyer gold card.

is it good ? i should just sign n get the 5000miles n dump it rite.. lol

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.